First Amendment of the Constitution

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by DWK, Sep 2, 2020.

1. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

Jesse, I knew eons ago that you lean towards a Conservative/Libertarian view, just by what you choose to post. That’s how “unpolitical” you are. And for the record, I do post facts and cite reliable sources all the time. When the first Covid thread was up, many posters on here held views that were deeply influenced by the political “narratives of the day”. Although the thread is now gone, if you follow the progression of the “discussion”, you can clearly see these political narratives take shape in real time, and yet they were allowed on here. In fact, your inclusion yesterday of the Pelosi “haircut narrative” would be one example of this. (for the record, I am NOT a fan of Nancy Pelosi).

A story about a haircut is one thing, but the Covid political narratives that were repeated and posted on here were deeply offensive, as they continue to be. We have lost over 185,000 Americans so far, with many more deaths to come. This is a national tragedy. Now, I understand that you like to think of yourself as a “logician”, at least that is the style of thinking that you appear to be most comfortable with. There is nothing wrong with that, but I strongly believe that as a country, if we were to allow only the voices of “logicians” and “rationalists” to be heard, and no one else, we would quickly lose our humanity. Any humanity that we have managed to tenuously hold onto thus far, is always due to a delicate balancing act between “heart” and “mind”. Even the ancient Greeks knew the importance of balancing “logos” and “pathos”, as they called it. And without that balance, we are reduced to mere automatons following orders, without the benefit of ethics or morality.

And if you doubt that this is true, then you only have to look to the horrors of Germany during World War II to see the consequences of a country where free speech first became restricted, and then finally denied altogether. The road leading to this is not very complicated, and starts with exactly the sort of thing that we see on these public discussion boards, as certain political narratives are amplified, while others are routinely silenced.

You say that I am “welcome to visit other websites that are more in line with my beliefs”, whatever that means, since you don’t actually know how complicated my beliefs are. But by doing this, you are encouraging posters to remain in their electronic silos where only agreement is permitted and genuine debate and discussion has no place. Considering that this site obviously allows the proliferation of certain political narratives to remain, while others are penalized, does this not prove that this site is intolerant of differing perspectives?

A couple of weeks ago, you posted something that was deeply offensive to me, and extremely political. It concerned another political narrative going around where you rationalized the loss of life through abortion, to the loss of life through Covid deaths. You were very flippant about the whole thing, which I found to be disturbing. At that time, I disclosed to you that I was NOT a proponent of abortion due my personal, religious beliefs (so much for trying to pigeonhole me!) and I called you out for repeating an obvious political, logical fallacy, and one that was about as cold-hearted as it gets. But yet, this cold-hearted, political, logical fallacy remained on this board, and any attempt at rebuttal, was somehow deemed as “political”! And so, if there is room for your cold-hearted, “logical”opinions on this board, and some others posters where their extreme macho views are regularly given free rein, there should be room for others with just a little bit more empathy, and the knowledge that a public discussion board that only affords the expression of one attitude only, can indeed set a dangerous precedent. Just ask Germany. They can tell you all about it.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    panthersdude2001 likes this.
  2. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

100% agree, as long as a private entity is complying with all federal, state, and local laws, they can restrict you bringing a gun into their business. And you have every right to shop somewhere else. Now in saying that, there are many laws that regulate how someone must post signs and such to restrict said bringing of gun. And there are laws that stop local governments from making their own laws about the topic, premption as it's called. Until the SC does a better ruling to clarify 2A, some people find a little ambiguity in it.

panthersdude2001 likes this.
  3. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

LOFL.

4. BuzzMyMonkey

You again !!
    upload_2020-9-3_12-34-52.jpeg

poppin cork likes this.
  5. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

There are no federal, state, or local laws that can restrict the rights of property owners to restrict access. There may be regulations as to how you can prosecute for violations, but nothing to restrict the prohibition.

This only applies to the prosecution of violators. It does not prevent the property owner from having you removed or having you trespassed from the property permanently.

Which has no impact on the private entity doing what they want.

Again, not related to the private prohibitions.

6. panthersdude2001

panthersdude2001 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Hught likes this.
  7. panthersdude2001

panthersdude2001 Well-Known Member

Also, people this is a free world, you can do anything you want, but be warned. You WILL be caught, even if its a misdemeanor. :confused::eek::eek:

8. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter Well-Known Member

Didn't read....you aren't that important.

poppin cork likes this.
  9. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

“Unimportant”? That sure is an improvement over some of the filthy words you have used to describe me!

Hught and Wayne Stollings like this.
  10. Wayne Stollings

He has a very very short...... attention span. So much so that a tweet taxes his ability to concentrate and usually does not comprehend well as a result, but I am sure that you have noticed that by now.

Hught and DWK like this.
  11. Stinger2019

Stinger2019 Well-Known Member

The words whore and b!+ch have been the crux of rap music for decades. You gonna call Wiz Khalifa and 6LACK old coots?

12. Wayne Stollings

Odd how they go from calling them "thugs" to being example of what Poppin should strive to be .... I hope that some point in the future that poppin gains the respect his peers give rap musicians.

DWK likes this.
  13. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

I generally don’t listen to music whose lyrics are demeaning to women. If you enjoy that sort of thing, then that is your choice, and maybe you can explain to me why degrading language in rap music is considered to be an “art form”, because I’d really like to know. But music, as it is created to attract a large, IMPERSONAL audience, is very different from an individual on a public discussion board using vile language against another individual in order to demean them PERSONALLY. Just as I have the right not to listen to music whose lyrics are demeaning to women, I also have the right not to remain silent when misogynistic language is used against me to bully and intimidate me. It seems to me that you would like for me to just quietly accept whatever vulgarity is directed towards me, but that’s not gonna happen. BTW, there are some rap and hip hop artists who come up with lyrics that are pure poetry, but I just prefer the ones who can keep it clean.

14. Stinger2019

You're missing the point, which I think is intentional. You called someone an old coot for using a word that you said is out of date. Obviously the word is not and you are the old coot.

15. BuzzMyMonkey

Now you’re really confusing her.

Stinger2019 likes this.
  16. Wayne Stollings

Buzz is a she?

Hught likes this.
  17. BuzzMyMonkey

Yes folks this ACW is really that stupid, he has no control over it.

18. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

You’re playing with semantics here, and missing the MUCH LARGER point. There are plenty of people, regardless of their age, who find the word “whore” to be vulgar, and inappropriate. My 20-something son never refers to women as ‘whores”. And just because this word is routinely used in rap music, does not make the word automatically acceptable for all people. You seem to be defending Poppin Cork’s right to use the word, while denying my right to respond to the slur - even though my response was in the much tamer “old coot”. Lol. I do tend to see older men from a prior generation use this slur with impunity, and much more often as an intimidation tactic, especially on discussion boards, whenever these foul men attack women. And Wiz Khalifa may be a young man, and therefore does not fit the definition of an “old coot”, but he is certainly choosing to use a regressive slur against women, and one that has been used for centuries to devalue, control, marginalize, and silence.

I think it’s important to remember that going to a concert where you choose to sit there as a passive member of the audience, and listen to music which contains expletives, or foul language, is your right to do. You signed up for that when you bought the tickets, and knew exactly what to expect. The difference is, as an audience member, the goal of the band is to provide entertainment, not to intimidate an individual woman into silence, which is the usual goal that is used here on this board, unfortunately.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  19. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

You are what you are B. A attention whore.

20. Stinger2019

Submitted for you approval: DWK's definition of an old coot...

[​IMG]