Ford Edge or Jeep Grand Cherokee?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Bren, Jan 16, 2012.

1. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

Ford has stepped up their game. A buddy just got a new explorer and I was blown away with all the bells and whistles I have never seen on a Ford.

I had a Jeep Cherokee about 10 years ago and it was a lemon. I know plenty of other Jeep owners and former owners that will tell you the same thing including a present co-worker who is ready to shove his off the nearest cliff.

2. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

having owned both a fully loaded Eddie Bauer Explorer and Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited I can tell you at the time of both the explorer couldn't come close to the Jeep in options, now as vehicles are getting "smarter" I'm sure that they are both closer together in the options category. Explorer seemed/felt a little more roomier inside while to me the Jeep felt more comfortable inside.

3. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

My huge complaint about any GM vehicle, even the top of the line $55,000 Tahoe seems cheap inside compared to other vehicles in the respected class/price range.

4. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

I agree.....but the new explorers are something totally unique to what I consider the typical Ford.

5. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

That was my point! I dislike the car-like form that supposed SUVs have taken. I applaud Jeep for keeping the rugged look...still don't want another one though. I really liked my Jeep Grand Cherokee and I didn't have any issues with it, but I was worried because of my sister's troubles (she has the V-eight), so I traded it. Mine was a 2002 and I thought it had the V-6. Thanks for clearing that up! The inline 6 is an awesome engine. Had one in my '65 mustang and it ran like a champ. :mrgreen:

6. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

The XJ Cherokee (not to be confused with the Grand Cherokee) shared the same driveline as the "real" Jeeps of similar same vintage.

I had an XJ for a few years and it was a real truck and would go through dern near anything and was reliable and easy to maintain- It was a 'real' Jeep and not a 'Starbucks' Jeep.

I wouldn't hesitate to put my 17 yo in an XJ as it's a substantial vehicle with reasonable reliablility- economy, not so much...

7. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

:iagree:

I wouldn't have a Jeep if they were giving them away.

8. Buc

Buc Well-Known Member

The new Cherokees are junk. I have a 93 Grand Cherokee with a 318 V-8 that just turned 320,000 miles and still running strong. Being an older Jeep owner I would have to go with the Edge if I was buying new.

As for the new Explorer, they aren't the same since they started building them on the Fusion chassis versus the truck chassis. What a shame.

9. JellyBean

JellyBean Well-Known Member

My husband and I love, love, love, love our Ford Edge. I will buy another one hands down.

10. Bren

Bren Well-Known Member

Wow! Sounds like the Edge has it by a landslide. This many people can't be wrong. Now to find the exact one I like. :)

Thank you everybody for your opinions. That's why I love this board!!

11. kansascon

kansascon Well-Known Member

I'd take the Jeep over the Ford Edge any day! They look sharper. I had a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee and loved it. Not one problem ever! The only reason I got rid of it was because of the high mileage. Got a great trade in value on it too. Ford trucks are about the only Fords I care for.

12. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

Mt last Grand Cherokee with the in-line 6 - 4.0L had 235,000 miles put on it over an 8 year period. And it would have easily gone another 100,000 if someone hadn't hit me and totaled it. Luckily I found another one of the same year with very low mileage. You can't beat that in-line 6 - 4.0L EFI in a stock off-road vehicle. I also have a YJ with a carburetor in-line 6 - 4.2L and I'll never give it up.

The newer jeeps (post 2002) are garbage. They're 4 wheel drives converted to soccer mom kid haulers.

13. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

The Jeep "looks" better IMHO, but you're the one driving it. :lol:

14. Tangerine

Tangerine Well-Known Member

I have a Ford Edge and I'm looking to get rid of it asap. It drives good but its a gas hog.