Freaking Deer

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by DontCareHowYouDoItInNY, Jun 2, 2011.

1. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

Apparently deer think our yard is the animal version of a Chinese buffet.
    So far they like the following -

Hostas
    Roses
    Lilly's
    Tomatoes

I bought some $20 stuff that smells like dog **** but they saw right through that stuff. I go out there every night and pee all over the yard, but my neighbors think that is inappropriate and evidently it's against our HOA covenant. I've heard of using human hair but I dont have any to spare. I tried moth balls, but catching those little buggers is a chore and you need a microscope to figure out which one's havent already been neutered. My pretty little woman has nailed two with her car, that worked OK, but it makes her cry and now we're out of cars.

Who has a good method of keeping deer out of their gardens?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  2. fooser

fooser Active Member

410,22,9mm,bow and arrow,pit bull....or maybe grind up some habanero peppers and soak in water then spray ... maybe not tomatoes....

3. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

I was told that pie pans work the best.

4. 26.2

26.2 Well-Known Member

I have a feeder full of corn for them. Done it for years and they leave my hostas, vegetables and roses alone.

Same goes for the squirrels and they stay off of my bird feeders.

5. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

How far away do you place it?

6. Jean S

Jean S Well-Known Member

I have always heard that either human hair or dog hair scattered around will deter deer. I have all the dog hair you could ever want if you want to come get a bag!

7. 26.2

26.2 Well-Known Member

Just at the edge of the woodline. It's actually 30 feet from my flowers and as long as they have the corn they keep away from my garden.

8. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

They also like Astilbe, Foam Flower and Coral Bells.....

My MIL swears by a spray that they buy at Lowes, its expensive and smells like crap, but she won't use anything else. She's tried human hair and other cheap repellants, but this is the one that works for her. I'll see if I can get the name of what she uses.

9. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

Thats probably the stuff I mentioned in the original post. Its called Deer away or Deer Off, something like that. I had OK luck with it. I guess the trick is to be vigilant and apply it regularly. I don't know what that stuff is, but if I get it on my clothes my dog won't stop....well, you know, to my leg.