FYI - Google Maps Aerial Photos Update for the area

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by jesse82nc, Apr 28, 2016.

1. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

Rockyv58 likes this.
  2. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

It looks like there are newer and older images intermixed, especially with the street view. I found one series that was over 2 years old that was connected to a much newer series, and others, both street and overviews, that were at least several months old.

3. jesse82nc

I was specifically referring to the Aerial photos, not street view. Some call it "Google Earth" view.

4. jesse82nc

You can see River Oaks progress.

The photos were taken sometime in Mid-March.

Capture.GIF

5. Wayne Stollings

Yes, and some of the other satellite views are older than others outside of this particular area. The same went for the street views, which was odd since the newer ones joined the older ones side by side in some cases.

Auxie likes this.
  6. jesse82nc

They don't always drive down the same streets at the same time when capturing street view. They have routes that have higher priority, they get updated more frequently. Typically smaller roads are on a longer schedule.

7. Wayne Stollings

The odd part is a few were on the same road. One view was within the last year or so and the next couple of points down the road were closer to three or four years ago so they had to have driven over the road both times, but the newer info was not included in at least one section. This was right on US 70 too.

8. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

The aerial maps are a hodge-podge of randomness! In my area, I have both new and old. I see a farm with rows running at opposite angles and nowhere to turn around where they meet.

Wayne Stollings likes this.
  9. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

I've seen the view change as you zoomed in. I was building a townhome complex in Raleigh. From high up you saw the old buildings, as you zoomed in it changed to townhome sunder construction. we used the higher up old picture to find a buried manhole.

cynadon, Hught and Wayne Stollings like this.
  10. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

When one part of a map is ready for fall harvest and an adjacent location is ready for spring, they might be spliced. I'm no gold shield detective, but I know my seasons.

11. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

That's funny...zoomed out, I can see the house we built two years ago, including the sidewalk we put in last month. When I zoom in, the house disappears!

12. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member