Garner looking to expand

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by jesse82nc, Oct 17, 2016.

1. ROUTER

ROUTER Well-Known Member

That percentage is probably comparable to the percentage of people who do business with the shops and restaurants etc. The town of clayton gets a large amount of money from people outside their city. Why would you want to charge people to go to your parks, or library for that matter when they will surely spend money in your town when they are there. Besides, if you charge and a neighboring town or city does not, you are not as attractive of a destination for visitors, therefore not as attractive for new businesses or existing businesses who would love to sell their products or services to those visitors.

2. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

The businesses may get a lot of money from the sales to those outside of town, but little of that money goes to the town itself. As for the questions, the library aspect was explained as giving it more flexibility and control by being separate from the county system. That is something which was discussed at the time and the city made a decision. I am not sure of the reasoning behind it personally, but there was something to cause such a change.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/community/clayton-news-star/article18078044.html

3. Auxie

Auxie Well-Known Member

The Johnston County Library in Smithfield is a lot larger, has more activities and doesn't charge for a Library Card. But it might be farther from your home.

4. Auxie

Auxie Well-Known Member

Because the City of Clayton charges for so many things if you don't live within the City Limits, I rarely shop within the city limits. I go to Fuquay, Smithfield and Garner instead, in that order.

Kelyel likes this.
  5. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Wow! Do you expect Clayton police to respond to your emergency as well if you don't live in town?

6. ROUTER

ROUTER Well-Known Member

Not in the least, I don't really see how you came to such a ridiculous conclusion from what I said.

7. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

How often do you visit a library?

8. ROUTER

ROUTER Well-Known Member

It really has nothing to do with me, I actually have a paid membership at the library in clayton. I just find it interesting that there is a charge for visiting a library, I think it is basically another tax, that is all I am saying. I think that there is some resentment from city leaders in our area towards those of us who live in the 40 42 area. I don't think we are hurting the towns around us by going to their parks or libraries. I grew up in rural joco in the four oaks area, and I can tell you that most life long locals resent the newcomers in this area because they feel the newbies have not paid their dues to this county, however I think the people in this community bring alot to the area and make it a better place. As a small business owner I can tell you that you don't have to pay property tax to benefit the community in which you reside.

Kelyel and cynadon like this.
  9. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

Router, I agree. My people have been here since before the civil war. I don't think folks resent newcomers, they resent people coming here and wanting to make it like the areas they left. Incorporating the area is fine, as long as you don't own a lot of acreage. I have found a way to make a living off of growth. I'm all for it. JoCo uses low interest, long term to pay for schools. City expansion is a way off grabbing tax dollars with little return to those affected. in my opinion. Just look at Archers Lodge. All they got is the right to argue with the county. They still get services from the county.

Kelyel and ROUTER like this.
  10. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Well you expect to be able to use their library for free even though you don't live there. That's how.

11. ROUTER

ROUTER Well-Known Member

Wow, I am ashamed of myself for taking advantage of them

12. cranky

cranky Well-Known Member

In the case of Archer Lodge, they also got the right to control zoning and development, create a master plan and fund parks (and libraries I imagine). My whole point is that it is obvious that at some point one of our neighbors will sieze 40/42 for the tax base and we will loose. Maybe your house will be included. I hope mine isn't. I think for most people that anexation (and associated taxes) is inevitable, it only a matter of if we want to have a seat at someone else's table or have our own table to sit at.