Gateway parts

Discussion in 'PC Help Desk' started by Ksokol22, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Ksokol22

Ksokol22 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know where I can get inexpensive Gateway laptop parts? A fan motor to be exact. The fan motor went out in my laptop and Gateway wants more money than the laptop costs, to fix it.

2. appcomm

appcomm Well-Known Member

Take a look on Ebay... you'll often find a variety of parts for various models listed for sale...sometimes an entire laptop that doesn't work that is being sold for parts.

3. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

The fan can't cost that much? If you are referring to the "total cost", it's because most laptops have to be "entirely" disassembled to get to the fan. Right down to removing the motherboard. That means every single screw and every part is removed from the unit base and then reassembled.

Post the model # and I'll let you know what the labor time is and a link to the best price on a fan assembly.

Whatever you do, don't buy a used fan!! You'll just be mad when you have to pay the labor to replace it again in a very short time.

4. 740i Guy

740i Guy Well-Known Member

Yes Dan is right. Most of the time the actual part cost is non-consequential.

Another very common failure is the power jack on laptops. People tend to be careless with the power plug. All it takes is one little bump into a hard surface to break the soldered connection. I have repaired around a dozen laptops of friends and family for this single failure. The jacks only cost $10-20, but it takes me an hour or so to take it apart, anywhere from a couple minutes to fifteen to replace the part, then another 45 minutes to an hour to re-assemble it.

5. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

I don't call it a 'power cord', I call it a 'trip cord'. :lol:

At least most manufacturers now have the power plug on a pin connection to the motherboard and no more soldered connections. And the circuit back to the power supply is isolated so a bad plug won't short the motherboard anymore. It cut the part replacement time by 90%.

6. 740i Guy

740i Guy Well-Known Member

Yes, I've repaired a couple where the jack is on a wire lead and it slips into a plastic rail on the case. However, people still manage to break the center pin on the jack.

7. Ksokol22

Ksokol22 Well-Known Member

My father builds computers for himself and friends. So I wouldn't have to worry about a "total cost" since he would be doing it for free. From what I understand, is that the part itself is pretty costly. I will do more looking around online. He has the laptop right now at his house, so I couldn't tell you a part/serial number. But thank you all!!