German SPAM - are you getting it?

Discussion in 'PC Help Desk' started by appcomm, May 17, 2005.

1. appcomm

appcomm Well-Known Member

=======================================
    Answering the top questions of the day:
    =======================================
    "I'm getting hundreds of e-mail messages in German. Why?"

Because you have an e-mail account! You are not alone...this is happening to likely everyone you know, plus many thousands of others across the world.

"I've had these messages addressed to me from people I know. I've even received these messages addressed TO me FROM me!! How can that happen"

SPAMMERS and Viruses conceal their orgins by making the message *appear* to come from a different source. The "FROM" address of SPAM and viruses are normally spoofed so that you can't determine where they really came from.

Think of it this way. If Johnny the Hacker created a virus or a SPAM message and sent it out on the Internet using his own, valid e-mail account, he could be immediately tracked down and put out of business. But if he programs the SPAM or virus to pick up and use other e-mail addresses, then there is no trail back to him. (We can only hope that Johnny will fall down a set of stairs and break all his limbs. He has it coming to him.)

There is also the possibility your PC *is* infected with a virus and sending out the messages. Make sure your antivirus protection is up-to-date and scan your PC to make sure your computer is clean.

"You computer geeks never explain this stuff well enough. Where can I find out more written in English?"

Here's some links where you can read the news about the latest "German" spam:

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,63806,00.html
    http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,120846,00.asp

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Well-Known Member

We were getting bunches here at work on Sunday.

3. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

Easy Way to Fix This!

Let's all rush out and sign for Microsoft's new subscription to protect us from Viruses and spyware. They will protect us right!

4. appcomm

Any of you fellow IT Guyz have any experience with the Barracuda Networks firewalls for SPAM/SPYWARE/VIRUSES? Currently considering installing one but would like to hear some real world experience if anyone has dealt with them.

http://www.baracudanetworks.com

5. Nat_RH

Nat_RH Well-Known Member

Lots of people swear by the Barracuda's.

I personally have never tried them.

I'm interested in one of the network appliances, but have just started my search. Symantec makes a nice one according to latest Security Rag.

Good luck...let us know how they work out.

/C

6. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

I just block the sender, is that still Ok? My norton is on and I run Adaware once a week.

7. rockyv

rockyv Guest

I user earthlink for my email. And i have the spam blocker set to high. so even people who i know get stopped there before i say ok for their mail to process down from the server to my inbox. So thats a big help. I also use Adaware and also spybot - searcn & destroy. I also run AVG once a week manually and it is also set up to run once a week on its own. I had heard of that new virus last night and i have a friend at progress energy who said they got hit by it yesterday

8. Entertained

Entertained Guest

Do I have a virus or not?

I received notices saying email that I sent (but did not) were undeliverable. From what I've read in this forum, I thought that meant I have a virus that is sending out email under my name. So I updated both my virus software (actually, they automatically update, but I did a manual update, just in case) and ran them. No viruses were found.

I have McAfee Security Center with Virus Scan and also avast! Antivirus running all the time. So do I have a virus or not? If not, why the undeliverable messages to me?

Oh, and if it's relevant, I also run AdAware SE Personal and Spybot Search & Destroy almost every day.

9. Nat_RH

Nat_RH Well-Known Member

Check the following website for specifics on the "German Virus".

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sober.o@mm.html

That website also has a removal tool as well as directions to manual check your system.

Most times these returned messages, just mean that someone else is trying to send email using your email address. Never hurts to closely check your system though.

Hopefully you are ok...let us know what you turn up.

C

10. appcomm

Re: Do I have a virus or not?

Sounds like your system is clean from all you have done. What that means is that someone you have corresponded with in the past has picked up the virus. The virus then looks for e-mail addresses on the infected PC, and sends out messages using using one that it finds in the "From" field. So when it gets kicked back, you get the notice, even though it didn't actually come from your computer.