GRRRR!!!!

Discussion in 'Cat Dog' started by kdc1970, Feb 11, 2008.

1. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Categories:Pets & Supplies[​IMG] Ad Number:81635Date Posted:02/11/2008Contact:Lynda

Clayton, NC
    Telephone:919-553-5086 E-Mail:Reply to Ad Web Site:

Description
    We have a six month old chocolate lab that we are sad to say we must lose. We are no longer able to keep "Lucky" due to our 6 year old having lost interest in him. Lucky is great with kids and loves everyone, but our son just does not want to spend any time with him lately. Therefore we must send him to a good home that will love him and spend the time with him that he deserves. Lucky has only had his first set of shots and is not a registered lab.

He is house trained and will make a wonderful companion for someone. We just don't have the time for him any longer. We are asking $150 obo for him. If you are interested please give me a call or respond by email. Thanks!

So the dog has to be re-homed because a SIX year old lost interest?? Please! They have the attention span of a gnat! What did she think it was going to be?? :evil:

2. Southernborn

Southernborn Well-Known Member

You know what I always think of when I see stuff like this. I always think the person might have stolen the dog and is trying to make some money off it.

3. wolfcub

wolfcub Well-Known Member

This crap makes me so angry!!! Hello people Dogs are a Responsibility not a convienence. Dear stupid person your 6-year old did not make the decision to get the dog in the first place, that would have been YOUR decision!!!

4. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Then the 6 year old will be the first one throwing a tantrum when the dog is gone probably! :? A 6 year old doesn't know what he/she really wants... its' all in the moment...

5. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

I hope the parents don't lose interest in the 6 year old.

6. kookookacho

kookookacho Well-Known Member

I've never looked at it that way but I really should since one of my dogs was stolen from me over a year ago. I found the little bas-My Friend that done it though!:evil:

7. kimmie

kimmie Well-Known Member

thats what I'm thinking! , dang!

8. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

I hope you made him/her pay dearly for it! :boxing:

I'd loose it if someone stole Shelby. When I *found* the responsible party (ies) I'd have to claim *insainity plea* :twisted::twisted:

9. mnredsky

mnredsky Well-Known Member

Geez! Hopefully the kid doesn't lose interest in HIS PARENTS....oh wait, that might not be so bad.....

10. INTHEBUFF

INTHEBUFF Well-Known Member

Okay girls, let me give you my take on this crappola ad.
    For anyone that's had a hunting dog, be it a pointer, retriever of any type or spaniel, these are bird hunting dogs with a large amount of energy to release, thus the reason they are used for the sport of hunting.
    Typically what happens is that people buy these dogs (labs) because they are the number one or at least have been the number one dog in the USA for a pet, known to be good with kids and easy to train. For the most part they have a wonderful temperment etc., after a short span of time that loveable, clumsy furball enters his toddler age around 6 months, getting into things, chewing furniture, car bumpers (that's for my sister's dog) and anything else they can get their mouth around, they become much more active, needing a good run/play in the morning and again in the afternoon (really typical of any dog) to release all that bottled up energy, once again this is why they are used as hunting dogs.
    The new owners don't know what to do with this newly transformed dog, that at one time was just a loveable, sleeps all the time furball.
    I believe this is a typical situation, dog is too much for the adults and they just didn't know what they were getting into. I have a friend that works at a vet office in Cary and because we've always had bird hunting dogs she will several times a year try to get me to take a newly abandoned retriever, and guess what the average age is, 6-8 months. When I think about my own retrievers at that age, this dog probably weighs more than the little boy and probably hasn't been trained correctly, which means he jumps on the boy, plays roughly with the boy and is just a big handful to control. If that little boy came to my house he'd absolutely love our bird dogs, he probably wouldn't want to go home. I'd love to take this one but even I know my limits on the number in my home.

11. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

It is a sweet looking dog. Friends have had labs and they are a terror for awhile, that is for sure. But once they get out of that phase, they are wonderful pets.

12. INTHEBUFF

I call it the terrible 2s in dog terms, because it's about the 6-9 month age that dogs go through it just like kids, with the exception that the dogs grow out of it faster. Lots and lots of exercise and outdoor fun, plenty of chewable (Kongs) for the rainy days when you can't get outside or you can do like I do and let the little bugger out, just bring him in the garage when he's through playing in the rain/mud for clean up, boy does mine love the mud. I've watch that dog play in the mud all by himself at least for 30-45 minutes, just wearing himself out and than gets cleaned up, falls on his doggy bed sleeping forever.:)

13. Pickle

Pickle Well-Known Member

Thank you for that. I have one just that age and he has in the past 15 minutes dragged out some fire logs, several items of clothing, and the garbage. Any other suggestions besides Kongs for chewing?

14. INTHEBUFF

Whatever you do, do not leave him alone. At this age they really are looking for entertainment and remember that their working/sport dogs. So, give him something to work for. Check out the line of toys that make them work for something such as a treat. I use the large size red Kong, tightly pack that bad boy with doggy treats and I mean tightly pack it so that he has to use a lot of energy to get the goodies out, even put one or two treats in that you know he won't be able to get out. Take him outside in the morning for exercise, it will take about 20-30 minutes of retrieving to really wear him out, just him going out alone will not get rid of the energy, they just get destructive, he needs to be worked. Teach him to retrieve, have him bring back the ( I use "Hurl-a-Squirrel" or "Toss-a-Duck") toys, release and off he goes to retrieve another. I keep several toys at one time in my hand, as he returns with one, releases, sits, I'm ready to let go with another, sometimes I just keep him running one after another (only on the cooler days though), periodically give him time to rest between retrievals. You should work with him about 25-30 minutes twice a day. After he matures, you'll find yourself not having to exercise him so often, around the 12-15 month mark. Our's is 1 1/2 years old, two years this summer and he's at the point that he truely just wants the afternoon exercise, mornings are mostly for him to just eat, stretch and sniff around the yard, play for about 15 minutes, back to bed 10:00am, about 2:30-3:00 he's ready for his afternoon play.

15. INTHEBUFF

Chewing issue: Try the knotted ropes, hard knotted rope flavored with mint purchased in the doggy section of PetSmart. This will help him get rid of any remaining baby teeth that may be bothering him.

16. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

My neighbor got 3 lab puppies, pretty much all at once.

These dogs have eaten (chewed up):

Their back deck
    Their kids playset
    The door jamb (trim/frame around back door)

Just about everything else they leave within their reach. Better them than me. :)

17. MommySAIDno

MommySAIDno Well-Known Member

That was really very well put!!
    It's sad, but true that many people think they are doing a good thing giving a dog a home but they simply do not know what they are getting into. It's like having another baby/child to raise.

18. INTHEBUFF

OMG, three pups.
    I'm here to tell ya, they can't be trusted alone, if one doesn't think of a way to get into trouble one of the others will. Your friend needs to crate them or use a dog pen, a contained area with plenty of doggy toys etc.. Let them out periodically during the day for supervised exercise and interaction but until they get a little older and have more training they shouldn't be left alone. They will eventually identify the doggy toys with play activity which in turn will be what they turn to during boredom, in place of the furniture. My retrievers have always been given plenty of doggy toys to ensure they leave everything else alone, ask them where their toy is and off they go to bring one back to you, have to keep replacing the toys to keep things new and exciting for them. Retrievers, most of all want a task to complete, exercise and adventure, just the breed.

19. ferrickhead28

ferrickhead28 Well-Known Member

Wait..back to the dog on the ad...I'm not 100% positive, but I think this dog belongs to the family down the street from me. Well, at least, there was a brown chocolate lab and a girl about the age of 6.

This is my take on it:

I was driving home when I get a call from my daughter. She said there was two kids heading into my garage where my three dogs were. She said one of them was holding a dog on the leash. Well, I get home, both girls are standing in my driveway (one is 6 yrs old the other is probably 8 or 9). They tell me they were walking their dog when it got loose and ran into my garage to play with my dogs. Their dog took off behind my house and into a neighboring area. The girls proceeded to stand in my driveway, smacking their behinds and taunting MY DOGS. (Needless to say, I was not happy).

Well, those two girls took off to find the dog. The littlest one who I think is about 6 yrs old runs home crying (excuse me..runs home in the middle of the street crying) to get a parent. Her Dad comes out, they find the dog and go home.

Anyway, I thought the kids were a bit young to be walking such big dogs anyway not to mention by themselves. Plus, my daughter knows that she is NEVER to go into someone else's yard. No matter what the circumstance, get an adult. I also would never let her walk around by herself either.

I think getting a dog for any family member takes alot of responsiblity and good judgement. I also really hope this poor dog in the ad does find a good, responsible dog owner soon. It just burns me to read stuff like this!!!