Hair :(

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by AnnetteL, Jul 16, 2010.

1. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

Anyone else having problems with their hair lately? I've posted about this once before but lately it's seems to be getting even worse.
    I could just about wash it every day :x the county water here is way too hard and too rich in minerals,we installed a shower-head filter but I haven't noticed any difference.
    I sometimes add a little baking soda to the shampoo or make a vinegar/water rinse but I can't really see much of a difference there either.
    I basically blame it on the water, Johnston County is way behind in up dating their water treatment facility,with all the growth in the area it barely can keep up and all the problems with it lately are no surprise.

2. Steeler_Fan

Steeler_Fan Well-Known Member

I have major problem with my hair, and I think it has to do with the water as well it keeps having more grey in it. :hurray:

3. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

DONT mix the baking soda in anything, just put it on your hair. Conditioner afterwards.
    Also if you've been using the same shampoo that's not good, it causes buildup on your hair.

4. AnnetteL

Thanks!
    I've tried the straight baking soda too plus I got about a closet full of different shampoo,nothing seems to make any difference since I'm still rinsing with the same ole water.

5. hhicshg

hhicshg Well-Known Member

I didn't pick up on this and it might be what you are saying-- Have washed mine with baking soda and then rinsed it with vinegar. Supposed to "clarify" it.
    I was trying to tone down a new color but it also works for shampoo-hairspray buildup. I had a friend who did this to her hair once a week.
    Now if anyone knows why this should not be done--jump right in here coz I have not done this in some years and maybe it is something we should not do anymore.

6. AnnetteL

Thanks!
    I usually make a paste of the baking soda and when rinsing with vinegar I don't rinse with straight vinegar but mix it with water first.

7. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

When I was (still am...maybe) debating getting my hair cut I came across this site http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/index.php THESE women have SERIOUS hair issues! The love their long hair and can do all kinds of things with it and one thing I have seen is that they know all kinds of stuff about all kinds of hair products and home remedies. Might be helpful to peruse the board or even sign up and ask a question.

8. AnnetteL

Thanks! I'll have to check it out.

9. WillSpanker

WillSpanker Well-Known Member

Use beer, I don't know why someone hasn't told you :lol:

10. AnnetteL

Tried that too :lol:
    plus since DH quit drinking there's none around anyway ;)

11. WillSpanker

WillSpanker Well-Known Member

AnnetteL, I meant putting it in your hair, not drink it:lol:

Also try a tiny bit of olive oil ,put some on your hands and work it into your hair before shampooing, serious

12. AnnetteL

I know you did :lol: back in the old country I even used to buy shampoo with beer already in it,and here I've rinsed with it.
    Got to try the olive oil,won't that make it greasy?
    Problem I've got is that hair seems to be weighed down or something,washed it with baking soda paste this morning and rinsed with a conditioner and I've already got a itchy scalp again,no dandruff though.

13. Crysta

Crysta Guest

We put a filter system in to filter all of the water that comes into the house (also have a reverse osmosis system that does a second filtering of our drinking water). This has made a noticable difference with my hair. Also, since they put a lot of chlorine in the water, start looking for products made for swimmers. Other than that, I've got nothing. Let us know if anything else works.

14. AnnetteL

Thanks Crysta! The whole house filter system and the reverse osmosis system sounds expensive!?
    I'll check on the swimmers products :)

15. twowaz2fal

twowaz2fal Well-Known Member

I have had the same problem, when we travel my hair does so much better! We have a water softener and an acid neutralizer, but my hair is still weighed down from minerals. The thing I have found to help is to mix a packet of Kool-aid Lemonade with Prell shampoo and wash with it. I do this maybe once a month, and wash with Prell and baking soda weekly. It really has helped mine!

16. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

I read recently, another board, some discussion from people who was with baking soda and condition with apple cider vinegar. They said it works.

17. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

KOOL-AID?! ....I hear you can "temporarily" dye your hair with kool-aid but I've never been brave enough to try it... I know a hot pink streak (which I've always wanted) is out, with out bleaching, but can I get a blue one?

18. Tangerine

Tangerine Well-Known Member

The type of shampoo you use will also weigh it down. The cheap shampoos do it to mine.

19. twowaz2fal

twowaz2fal Well-Known Member

20. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I guess I am lucky...........it doesn't matter much what type of shampoo I use. The only kind I really never liked is the Dove, it seemed very harsh. My hairdresser "fussed" at me when I said I used Pantene, but she really couldn't say anything is "wrong" with my hair. Heck, many years ago I had it permed and highlighted the same day. Apparently that is a no-no. Didn't hurt my hair, LOL. :lol: In my personal opinion, a lot of it is hype and marketing. I've used salon brand and walmart.........didn't make a dern either way. :cheers: