Halloween Costumes?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Cleopatra, Oct 5, 2010.

1. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

from the 4042 classifieds:

paul sherman
    garner, NC 27529
    Telephone:E-Mail:Reply to Ad Web Site:

Description
    TONS OF KIDS COSTUMES BOYS AND GIRLS VERY CHEAP ALL ARE BRAND NEW NEVER WORN LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU NEED I MAY HAVE IT FROM 1T TO KIDS XL

2. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

My son wants to be Richard Petty...Go figure. I'm sure we can find some dark shades similar to what Petty wears and pick up a moustache from Party City, but the hat and the clothes are the real problem. The only way you can pull of a Petty costume is with a STP jumpsuit (or at least some STP gear) and the signature black hat with the feathery decoration on top. You can't hardly find STP stuff any more.

3. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

You could.... print up the stp logo and attach it to solid color sweats (that would look like a jumpsuit)...spray paint stripes, or use craft paint. ... and maybe... Walmart usually has boys cowboy hats. ..color or print out a feather hat band... or go to a western store and spring for one is they have them.

4. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

I have a plain black cowboy hat you could borrow, all you'd need to do is add the feather (please keep it removable, as I do wear it occasionally.) Though sometimes Petty goes sans feathers.

How old is the kid? cause the hat I have is an adult, but it is still small...bought it when i was 19, so it's a lil tight on me now. (10 yrs later)

5. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Thanks for the offers/suggestions. While we were out at White Oak last night, we took a peek at Party City and found a pretty decent cowboy hat and got him a stick-on moustache. Went to Target and got him an adult small STP t-shirt. And today found him a pair of dark sunglasses to wear for $5 bucks at JR's. (JR's has some really decent cheap sunglasses, BTW) I think he's going to wear his black 'leather' coat and cowboy boots and leave it at that. I'm thinking that I might can print off 43 in white letters, cut them out and maybe affix them to his coat for a final tribute to King Richard.

I've already told him everyone won't know who Richard Petty is. Many kids his age won't have a clue, but he's a 3rd grader this year I think he's wanting to do something a bit toned down this year.

Again, thanks for the helpful offers though.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  6. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

7. ForeverFaithful

ForeverFaithful Well-Known Member

I miss having little ones that dress up for Halloween. Some of my favorites for my kids were Elvis and Priscilla ("Elvis" even had a microphone, we had a portable cassette player and Elvis tape and he performed for people), dressing up 50's style, hobo's, Dorothy and the Tin Man from The Wizard of Oz, Gypsies....We dressed up with the kids too. My grandson is dressing up as a Lion, (he is 7 months old). (Yep, Kyle is married now and I have another grandchild on the way!)

8. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

My son was thinking about Elvis, too before deciding on Petty. Strangely, he wanted to do the seventies' jumpsuit Elvis prior to his switch to Petty. Either way, he wanted to be 'King', I suppose.

9. ForeverFaithful

ForeverFaithful Well-Known Member

What we did for Kyle was he put on some black pants, his black boots and a white shirt. We got him a pair of "Elvis" sunglasses with the sideburns and slicked his hair back, but left the one curl in the front. I bought one of those plastic "vampire" capes and did a design on the back with a bunch of sparkley stuff and found a bunch of old rings for his fingers. We did the microphone out of a papertowel tube, foil and glitter. We had a lot of fun with it and it didn't cost me very much to do it either.

LOL kids are funny! I have found the best costumes, at least in my opinion, is the ones that don't cost a fortune and you create yourself. It is amazing how creative one can be and it is so much fun. Hope your son has a great time.

10. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Thanks. I think he'll have a good time, even if most kids his age are not quite sure who he's supposed to be. We teased him a bit before he got his haircut that he should go as Justin Bieber since he can't stand him. Wouldn't have no part of it!! :mrgreen:

11. ferrickhead28

ferrickhead28 Well-Known Member

I had a little boy come to my door a couple of years ago dresed up in a three piece suit.

When I opened the door he said, "Hello, my name is Barrack Obama and I approve this message. Trick or Treat!"

I almost died! He was soooooooooo cute!!!
    (just had to share)

My daughter pinned small boxes of cereal boxes to her hooded sweatshirt, walked around with a fake knife and went as a "cereal killer". It was cute. (cheap too, we just dug the boxes out of the recycling bin)