HARVEY'S ALTERNATE POWER(FUEL) THREAD

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Wayne Stollings, Jul 1, 2008.

1. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  2. magnolia

magnolia Well-Known Member

What on earth are you whining about? Maybe it's not a "constructive debate" to you because the discussion includes facts that you don't want to face about your liberal leaders....but that is your personal problem.

It already IS a political issue. Especially when you've got leftist politicians screaming about how we all need to sacrifice and go "green"....everyone except them, of course.

3. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

Steam is not a fuel. What kind of fuel would you use to heat the water to make the steam?

4. ServerSnapper

Read the article I posted. It's very interesting.

5. ServerSnapper

Since we have gravity on Earth....Seems to me if we could oppose gravity with a non fuel type, maybe even a metal that would oppose gravity, we could have propulsion and forward momentum. Maybe I am just way outside the box.

6. KDsGrandma

I did, and it was. It said the car could use any kind of liquid or gaseous fuel, if I recall. That would include gasoline, diesel, ethanol, biodiesel, propane, among others. I was just wondering what kind of fuel you think would be best for the environment and for performance as well.

7. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I think KDs's question still stands. Not only do you need fuel for the engine, but air is heated (which can be part of the process, but still takes energy).

8. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

How well do you know Clif?

9. KDsGrandma

:jester:

10. KDsGrandma

Of course, that would lead to the same problem we have with corn ethanol - competition with food supplies, resulting in shortages and price increases. The car in the article he linked used fuel in liquid or gas form. Ethanol from switchgrass or blue-green algae might be a possibility.

(Waiting for Nevilock to post anti-gravity cartoon.)

11. ServerSnapper

You makin fun of me cause I am smot?

12. ServerSnapper

COuldn't we use super heating coils sorta like a hot water heater? But hotter? I don't know. I am just tired of gas prices. I saw an interesting show last night about super speed travel under water. Since Salt water can conduct electricity. Why couldn't that apply to land vehicles. But in a more practical role. Hybrids using salt water to conduct electricity for electric motors? Instead of Normal petroleum based fuel.

13. ServerSnapper

You can also gas ethanol from Sugar Cane. South America is doing it right now.

14. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Sure - Once I get my time machine fixed I will go back and fix that post! ;)

15. ServerSnapper

Dick! :lol:

16. nevilock

nevilock Well-Known Member

its 42 minutes from one side of the earth to the other. just figure out how to drill the hole, without making a volcano.

17. KDsGrandma

Have you seen this?

[​IMG]
    Just when I was about to give up on hydrogen technology, too! I read someplace that they are not selling the cars, they are leasing them for $600 a month and that includes maintenance. Somebody may have already posted something about this here, maybe CAC? Just wanted to bring it up again.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/17/business/worldbusiness/17fuelcell.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Last edited: Jul 3, 2008
  18. nevilock

the problem with fuel from food is that it increases the price of basic food, which makes it harder for people living at the poverty level to buy basic foods. If we can find the same fuel somewhere else, without the negative effects on the food markets it would be very much preferable to increasing hunger.

I agree I'd rather spend 10.00 a gallon on ethanol than 3.999 for gas, but i'd rather not do it if it meant that a poor family was going to fall from barely getting by to struggling for food. It'll take a while to increase the production of corn to a degree that we could use it for fuel without impacting food, and if its going to need time, we could just as easily spend that time growing switchgrass or working with algae.

19. KDsGrandma

The problem arises when it diverts food products to non-food uses and creates shortages and higher food prices. Of course, you get the same result if you convert land that is currently producing food to produce something else for fuel. There are some potential crops that will grow on marginal land, that would not be used for food crops - that would be a better solution. Or how about this - someone should figure out how to make fuel from kudzu.

20. nevilock

I think that'd be an instant nobel prize.