Have you been laid off?

Discussion in 'Jobs Network' started by swinkles, Jan 6, 2009.

1. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

You are all in my thoughts and prayers...If it's any consolation, my hubby says his work has actually picked up (in construction) since the first of the year, and the couple realtors I've talked to have said the same thing. Maybe there will be a slight turning point in the near future (maybe?).

2. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Think I can meet with him on a job and quote it???

3. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Know any of them that need HVAC??:jester:

4. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

You girls are funny!

Harley - sent you a PM.

KDC - He's all set with his HVAC peeps, he's used the same company forever, and he's pretty loyal to his subs. (I wonder if it's the company you work for?)

5. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Hmmm, don't know, I will PM you.

6. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

Nope, not same company...Good luck to all of you though!

7. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

You'll see them on TV soon. :hurray::hurray::hurray:

8. ForeverFaithful

ForeverFaithful Well-Known Member

Yep, that is the number! It is a constant busy signal! Oh my gosh....6 to 8 weeks?!?! Ugh....I have no idea what we are going to do until then. Hopefully it will be 6 weeks since it has already been a month. What sucks is that I did get severance, but since I had to take an emergency loan out to help Kyle get the car fixed when it broke down on him and money to finish is trip to NV, all of it went to back to pay off that loan.

9. seabee

seabee Guest

Good or bad???

10. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

I went into Fuquay to file on Tuesday and the rep told me the system and the entire workforce at the ESC are overloaded. He said I could use the terminal to file but it was not recommended. He did spend 30 minutes with me educating me on the way the system works. I've been working for over 40 years now and I've never had to file for un-employment, so this was real new to me.

Good news, anyone with a Bachelors Degree or Human Resources experience can apply for a job at the ESC right now!! They listed openings on Tuesday.

Here's some things he told me that may help others:

1. If you've been told your getting laid off in the near future take any vacation, sick or other pay now!!

I elected to recieve my Christmas bonus after the first of the year (tax reasons) and it is considered salary now because my last day was the first friday of the new year. If I took it in December it would not have been. That's just plain wrong!!!

2. If you file before any pay has run out, bonuses, severance, etc.. you'll have the same problem Clif had. It screws them up and the red tape gets fouled. What a bunch of stupid idiots!! You'd think expediting your claim before the wait period would help. Don't file till the Monday after those monies run out. Divide the total by the avarage weekly pay and you have the weeks to wait.

3. As I said above, your taking the chance of problems filing online. According to the rep I talked to.

4. Let's hope only a few people read this one, I'm going there when my Christmas bonus runs out. The Dunn office is very slow. It's a very short wait time and worth the gas to go there to file. They are now starting to get people from Fayettville going there to file because of the short lines.

5. If you've never used the system you can go to an office and 'register' before your file date. This will save time when you file and it will let you know how much your going to get.

6. Calling them on the phone is futile. Did that for two days with my PC phone on redial continuosly and plugged in 4 office numbers. Finally went in and waited 2 hours and talked to a real person in Fuquay. You can not file in Fuquay other than online at their PC.

7. Don't let anyone tell you employers don't descriminate based on age. He told me to redo my resume because it ages me. Remove your birth date. Lessen all the 'years experience' lines to no more than 15 years. Do not include a picture. They have a free resume course for those who file.

8. Soon they will have odd / even SSN days to file. I asked, "How do tell if it's even or odd with a 3 segmented number or if the fist number starts with zero????" He didn't know.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  11. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

They did a commercial, you nut! :jester:

12. seabee

seabee Guest

well then its good...lol

13. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

Let me know how it goes. We've been talking about doing one, but hubby spent a lot in advertising last year, and it didn't get him anywhere, so he's leery about spending that much on a commercial. He spent a lot in magazine ads, and for some reason, it took a whole year, and just this last week he finally got his first calls from it, and he got 4 in 1 week! The home show did nothing for him, and that's a disappointment because he spent a lot of time and effort on it.

His best advertising has been (always, from day one) word of mouth.

14. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

:iagree: with that!

15. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

We aren't doing it on our own, it's in conjunction with one of the manufacturers. Much less $$ that way. Can't hurt, might help. Bet yeah, word of mouth is the best by far.

16. bostonredhead

bostonredhead Well-Known Member

I filed online and received info in the mail 2 days later! So far so good...

17. bostonredhead

18. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Well-Known Member

Just an update to the online filing, dh filed week of 1/5, I went online to check the status of everything this morning, and his first payment was issued this week, so it seems as if it's all in order for online filing :) Now if finding a job was this painless, everything would be great!

19. bostonredhead

Do you know what the "Earnings Allowance" field means on the online benefit history page?

20. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member