Have you been laid off?

Discussion in 'Jobs Network' started by swinkles, Jan 6, 2009.

1. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Well-Known Member

No, sorry I dont :?:

2. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Is there an amount in the field? Is it the maximum amount you are allowed to get benefits for on unemployment?

I'm just guessing... sorry if its no help. :)

3. JustAnotherMom

They have the max benefit listed, this seems to be a percentage of your weekly benefit :?::)

4. ForeverFaithful

ForeverFaithful Well-Known Member

If I understand right, this is the most you can make per week besides you unemployment payment. If you make more than that amount, then the difference will be deducted from you unemployment payment.

EXAMPLE: You are getting $250 per week from unemployment and it says Earnings Allowance of $50 per week. As long as you do not go over that $50, you will still get your $250. Now say you make $100 that week, you may only get $150 to $200 from unemployment.

This is how it was explained to me.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  5. JustAnotherMom

AHA! makes sense, thanks :)

6. bostonredhead

bostonredhead Well-Known Member

To me too - thanks!

7. ForeverFaithful

You welcome.

8. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

I have been laid off for a while now and I am in the accounting profession with a college degree. I don't even hear back from companies I apply to.

First, go to the unemployment office in Smithfield to get everything setup for unemployment benefits. They were very nice to me and I received unemployment going back several months, which they processed for me.

Second, after doing the above you will be able to file online.

Third, make sure to keep copies of all jobs you apply to. I cut them out of the papers, tape them to a piece of paper with the date, punch holes in them and then put them in a three ring binder. I even do this with jobs I find on the internet. When I have taken my three ring binders to the unemployment office they seem impressed and don't even want to look as they assume that I have been searching.

Fourth, change your resume to the job you are applying to. If it is a job that does not state anything about a college degree I eliminate that from resume'.

Fifth, if you want the check direct deposited to your checking account make sure to ask the person you speak with at unemployment for the form for this. Fill it out at their office and turn it in.

Good luck to all,
    Sherry

9. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Let me add one more to this, along the same general subject.

Have the ESC take out the taxes for you. I learned from personal experience that if you don't, and you're on unemployment for any length of time, the amount can add up and you will end up owing a lot to the feds and the state. Even if you don't think you'll be on unemployment for more than a week or two, it's better safe than sorry.

10. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

You loose $1 of benifits for every dollar over the Earnings Allowance. In example. $494 (Max benifit amount) allows $103 per week earnings. If you earn $110 deduct $7 from your benifit of $494.

11. ForeverFaithful

I knew it was something like that.

12. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Update: Even though the NC Unemployment website states that even and odd numbers on the social security number should file on certain days I have found that filing online on Sunday morning is a breeze and is direct deposited to my account on Tuesday.

I've been using Head Hunters and here are some tips:

Dan is correct on aging yourself on the resume'. It cannot be helped in some instances but have found that by leaving the year of college graduation off of the resume' has helped.

Also, the head hunters stated that I was correct in changing the resume' to fit the job description but they also told me to add the temporary or contract jobs taken while laid off. They stated that employers don't want to see a long period of time lapsing between applying for their job position and your last one.

Since I am wide open to temporary and contract jobs and have been doing those along the way it really does help to include those. Like working at one contract job for 9 months in Treasury showed that I was continuing to pursue a job for any length of time and the reason for leaving was because the contract was over.

Head hunters negotiate the salary for a person. Give them a range and they will let you know if you are in the ballpark in today's market.

Hope those items help some and don't everybody overload the unemployment website because of my posting or I'll hunt ya' down!

Sherry

13. Tweetyluvzme

Tweetyluvzme Well-Known Member

Just got laid off today. Going to be starting school next month so would like something part time, preferably Mon, Wed & Fri. If you know of anything, gimme a shout please. I have heavy cash handling exp, computers, customer service, etc. Thanks!!

14. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

That sucks! I"m sorry.
    I'll keep my ears open.

15. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

I am so sorry :? I may know of something coming up in a month or two, I will let you know for sure then.

16. ForeverFaithful

I am sorry to hear this. Go ahead and get that unemployment filed.

17. Tweetyluvzme

Tweetyluvzme Well-Known Member

Thank you! Luckily I can re-open my previous unemployment claim, I still have about 6 weeks of it left and by then I will have started school so I think I should be ok but would like a part time job during school.