Heart Worms

Discussion in 'Cat Dog' started by froggerplus, May 5, 2006.

1. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Wow, it took a while for the allergies to show up! My son is in AZ visting his grandparents who have a cat, he was MISERABLE within 12 hours. Count yourselves lucky! Ha-Ha, Lucky... I just caught that. Glad Lucky is doing OK!

2. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Nevermind, why did I think that your dog's name was Lucky... ???

3. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

That is great news frogger!

4. froggerplus

froggerplus Well-Known Member

Thanks, ya'll :).

Cleo, I thought the same thing. But just about the time I started noticing hair in the house, I started noticing both of them having a harder time breathing at night, with a little bit of coughing during the day.

I'm going to take care of it tonite, tho. I want Lucy to be able to come in more often and if the family can handle being around her a little better then that's great!

Frogger

<btw, HG, how are YOU?>

5. froggerplus

Update....

Just got off the phone with the vet. Lucy seems to have an upset tummy and I had to hover over her so she would eat last night and this morning. That should be ok. Just adjusting to the mixing of regular food and no meds again. She's really stiff, can't blame her. Vet said she could come in next Friday for her check-up.

Cross your fingers that all is good. If so, she can go outside after that. She's loving being around the family, but looks like she wants to stay outside some again. Hopefully, the transition won't be too bad for her. The fam's having breathing problems, even with me keeping the house clean, so she needs to be well enough to go out again soon.

Frogger

6. le

le Well-Known Member

Next Friday already!?!? All down hill from here my friend!
    Any idea how late your vet is open tonight btw?
    Thanks.

7. froggerplus

Lol, sorry le, didn't see the msg until I got home. They're open some late days...and I have that info at work. Absolutely no help, am I?

Frogger

8. le

le Well-Known Member

even funnier frogger, i got caught up at and after work and probably would not have made it today anyhow! i plan to call tomorrow for the hours and try to remember to write them down (and where)!
    thanks though!

9. elims

elims Well-Known Member

How's the Dogger, Frogger??

10. le

le Well-Known Member

Yes, do tell. We know the check-up is this week, we are just wanting to hear that you and pup are comfy cozy indoors while rest of famdamily is out of doors! :wink:

11. froggerplus

tee hee, cute elims :)

UPDATE...

Lucy went to the vest yesterday. Microfilari test was positive, but they warned me it probably would be due to the adult heart worms being dead but the babies not. They treated her for the babies, and she's to stay in for 3 more weeks. Goes back on the 21st. That's when we're holding our breath for a clean bill of health. Waiting to see if she backslides a little this weekend.

Her weight was .3 lbs more than when whe started this so that's VERY good. She had lost a lot of weight, so she's bulking back up. Thanks for asking!

Frogger

12. froggerplus

For all who have been asking...

Lucy is starting to get antsy being locked up. Music to my ears :). Her weight seems fine and she really, really wants to play. She follows me everywhere and is under my feet when I sit down.

Crossing my fingers that the test on the 21st comes back negative. Then she can transition back outside and we can p-l-a-y again!!

Frogger

13. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

YEAH!!!!!
    Good news!

14. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Congrats to you and Lucy - i know you will be so happy when she is back to 100% again :D

15. froggerplus

GOT THE NEWS

She tested negative for heart worms! Whooohoooo! Now she can go back outside (slowly at first) and resume her *normal* life. We've let her go out for a few hours early morning and late evening, when it's cooler. She's having a ball trotting around the house, and watching people from the front porch.

Thanks to everyone for all of your support! Ken, I think I'll be able to break down the cage in a week or 2. I'll disinfect it and get it back to you. TY from the bottom of my heart to you and Mrs. Ken for letting us borrow it!

Frogger

16. le

le Well-Known Member

Hooray for Lucy!! And you too!

17. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

That is GREAT news!!!

18. elims

elims Well-Known Member

That's such great news!! Was thinking about you over the weekend, hoping things were going well! What a HUGE relief!!! :D

19. froggerplus

ty ty :)

Elims, how's it going for Willow?

20. kookookacho

kookookacho Well-Known Member

That's awesome Frogger! Good to hear happy endings! :D