help with project, pleeaaassseee!

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by BenDover, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

This
    was your question, No? It's pulled right from the project sheet. Number III. I'd say that's looking for an answer. I gave you clues to find the answer yourself.

Good Luck. Now, I have a "meeting" to get to. :lol:

2. bboykin

bboykin Guest

I was told by my child's doctors that video games can enhance some children with ADD/ADHD and other disabilies with hand coordination, attention & focus, and cognitive development.

So yes, video games are for pleasure most of the time, however, they do have other advantages.

3. BenDover

BenDover Well-Known Member

You, my friend, didn't give me crapola. :roll: but a headache

Now that she is gone, does anyone have resources for this question. We have looked everywhere. Maybe you have a site that could help?

Thanks in advance.

4. BenDover

Thank you very much.

5. Raven

Raven Well-Known Member

bboykin wrote
    Well Ben :wink: ,this would be a large part of the answer you're looking for,you might even get a passing grade :lol:

6. BenDover

The child is doing it Raven. Thank you to all that pmed me with info. I don't blame you for not posting. To much drama.

7. Melynda

Melynda Well-Known Member

I've seen more vidoe games from leap frog & such that are geared towards younger kids & leaning skills.

Didn't the astronauts spend many hours in flight simulators getting ready for the real thing?

Now there are driving simulators that help folks understand how imparing it is to drive in bad weather or under the influence of drugs & alcohol:
    http://www.westchestergov.com/currentnews/2005pr/drivingsim.htm

Naval Simulation:
    http://www.naval-technology.com/contractors/simulators/marinesoft/

Surgical Simulation:
    http://www.knowledgedynamics.com/SurgicalSimulation.htm?r=aw&gclid=CMTnwI6L9ocCFQEoHgod5x2BuA

You get both the good & the bad with technology. I've read studies that have indicated that allowing kids to play violent video games may cause desensitization to violence and aggression. At the same time I'm sure that education video games can keep kids occupied and teach them a few things. Two steps forward - one step back. I don't think I'd like my child to become a couch potato who sat around playing video games - but at the same time I don't think video games are a terrible evil. We have a game cube that my child plays every now & then when friends are over. It amazes me how well the kids can manipulate these games. They are far better players than I am. The games do require a degree of coordination & quick thinking skills to play well.

8. BenDover

I didn't think of it that way Melynda. Thanks! Now she/he can go to the sites and finish! That one was awesome!!

Thanks for the sites! :wink:

9. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Because you didn't think. THAT is what I was trying to lead you towards... :roll:

And stop PMing yourself. Really. You expect us to believe you get an outpouring of support via PMs? Laughable.

Wait! I know! You can post them to prove yourself!!

Hey Raven. :wink:

10. turtlepits

turtlepits Well-Known Member

Hello Ben

11. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

and here come the calvery

:wink:

12. blessed

blessed Well-Known Member

Well, all I know is that I wish I had more experience playing one of those driving games that go through the downtown areas and all you see is skyscrapers as you race through the city. It sure would have helped me with driving through downtown Atlanta on hwy 85 without my heart in my throat and my hands gripped to the wheel so tight I had to get hand lotion to help ease them off....... :shock: I have NEVER been through anything like that before. 5 to 6 lanes each way and people driving like 90. If you aren't in the lane you need to be in, you can just forget it. Cause people AIN'T gonna let ya over...

It made me appreciate 40 and 440 traffic in Raleigh...Now THAT is a contradicition in terms, eh? :lol: :lol: 8)

13. turtlepits

??????

14. turtlepits

hello tassy..........didn't know you'd get upset that I left you out!
    Hello ALL

15. Raven

Raven Well-Known Member

Hey there :wink:

16. SpunkyPunky

SpunkyPunky Well-Known Member

Your last name isn't Dover?
    Okay then, I'm just confused then.

Sorry about that, I honestly thought that was your first and last name.
    It goes very well together though Benjamin Dover.

Regarding the video games.

In a serious tone -

I have read that video games help autistic children in a myriad of ways.
    You might want to have your sister look into that avenue?

17. SpunkyPunky

SpunkyPunky Well-Known Member

I go by Spunky Punky, because my last name is "Punk".
    When I compete in dance competitions, a judge once introduced me as "SpunkyPunky", and it stuck.

Hence I'm known to all in the Senior Dancing community as "Spunky Punky."

Regarding Ben Dover, if you say it fast, it's Bend over?
    And this means?? Maybe it's just better that I don't know.

18. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

you don/t get the joke of "Ben Dover"? if the joke has to be explained to you, i doubt you would find it funny....not just you. that goes for any joke told to anyone....

signed

Hugh G Rection

19. peppercorns

peppercorns Well-Known Member

Meanwhile back to the post.....

I think that the advent of video games and such has made it almost too easy for parents to just stick their kids in front of the TV and let them play. There is less interaction between parents and childern and siblings. We used to all go outside and play but these components have given the kids an opportunity to stay indoors entirely too much and not interact with their families. A child may be in his/her room playing these games instead of doing other, more contruction types of play.
    I do believe that another detrimental factors is that the fast pace of these games has helped to shorten the attention span of today's children. Kids today need to be constently entertained. I offer to you the DVD players and TV in cars and SUV's as proof. Kids used to sit in the back of the vehicle and learn about the countryside and the places they were going, now all they do is sit and watch some movie they have already seen a hundred times. Learning to appreciate the beauty of nature and the world around them is a lost art. Not to mention that fact that without the DVd they had to learn to behave without getting lost in a movie.
    Video games perhaps may have increased the hand eye coordination of today's youth but no more then a good game of soft ball or kickball would have taught them and it does gives kids something to do on rainy days.

Boy, Don't I sound like an old fogey? Sorry, but recently my kiddo went away witrh a friend and her family. They had a DVD movie for the girls to watch on the way there and back. THey ran from event to event. My kiddo commented on the beautiful flowers and gardens she saw that they were unwilling to take the time to notice. When she tried to point it out - her friend said "so" and took off for the next ride. Nature and it's beauty are becomming a lost art.

20. turtlepits

No pepper, you don't sound old. I have to take my son's playstation away. Al he would do as soon as he'd finish his homework was ask if he could play . I'd tell him to go outside and play with his brother. It's to the point where I took it completely out of his room. Kids aren't as active like when I was young. I use to love to go outside as a kid. Now all you here kids talk about is what level they are on on certain games.