Homeless

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by ladypopo, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I try to help when I know they are homeless, I have occasionally rerun into some of these characters trying an elaborate story scam on me at a different mall weeks later (up in Raleigh) and when I call them on it they just walk away.

Unless I know they are genuine homeless I now just buy them food.

jesse82nc likes this.
  2. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

I worked at the greenhouse on 401 in Garner. They had a camp in the woods behind us. The boss man tried to hire a few a couple of times.

"I don't do that kind of work"
    "I can make more than that right here"

My nephew went off on a mission trip when he was young. He called home and talked about the cars with 20 inch wheels. He was laying sod in their yard. Sorry, but laying sod for poor people ain't helping unless the foundation is washing away.

That was 20 years ago and I hain't been too concerned since. I do know some folks need help. That's why I give locally so I kind of know where the help is going.

3. courtney

courtney Member

I work right near where they all stand at the walmart on hwy 70. Have worked there for 3 years so yes I'm getting tired of witnessing it. I finally googled it and bam, here I am!

I've had customers tell me they will get mad if you bring them food. They want money. I've seen the woman driving her "newer looking maroon maxima, nice rims and wheels" and parking it in the empty spaces by the car wash and walking up there with her sign, as well as the guy with the fake leg, driving his "very good looking green car" and parking near where she does and then walking up there. I've seen the older guy riding a very nice bike and he parks it at zaxbys while he walks up there. Funny thing, he realized he had his nice glasses on his head before he made it up to his "spot" and he jerked them off and tucked them in his bag so fast! I now am a firm believer that they are all scamming the town of clayton and wonder why the cops dont run them off? Saddest part is that people won't know unless it makes it to the news. Someone needs to help us stop donations to these people and help the ones that do not have cars, extra clothes to change into daily etc. There are local food banks who need support, not these scammers.

4. Stinger_6

Stinger_6 Well-Known Member

A quick way to spot a fake...look at their shoes. I've seen guys with signs wearing Nike's that looked about a month old.

michelle likes this.
  5. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

And their hair. If it is neatly cut then they probably aren't homeless.

6. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

CPD cannot do anything because it is not IN Clayton. It is outside town limits. This is why you see them at various intersections around the 40/42 area and the Walmart shopping center on 70. They are *supposed* to have a permit, I imagine if they are scammers they have the proper documentation and a clean criminal record to have that permit. A truly homeless person may not have ID or the transportation means to go and get the permit. http://www.wral.com/johnston-cracking-down-on-panhandlers/10970051/ I don't know how issuing a free permit was supposed to crack down on panhandlers in a county with maybe 6-8 deputies on duty at any given time.... You don't see them at the Walmart in Smithfield or in shopping centers in Clayton town limits because they have their own ordinances, just like any town does - and they enforce them.

I am often tempted to just roll down the window and ask pointed questions, especially of the guy with the brand-new Keen sandals on last week. Or the girl with the boohoo story "stranded, trying to get home to Ohio" yet she had a big black umbrella for shade, a camp chair, and orange vest.

Maybe we could take shifts, and set up shop right next to them. Using signs and arrows - point out the fresh haircut, nice clothes, watch, and bulge of iPhone in their pocket.

That is really all you can do. Educate the public, and when the money dries up they will go someplace else.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
    kaci and Hught like this.
  7. cynadon

Did you see the pregnant women this week at Burger King. Sign said something like "homeless. mother of 4. blah blah blah" four kids and one in the oven. Reminds me of the late comedian Tim Wilson, "Been married 5 times, hell maybe it's you"

8. barney726

barney726 Well-Known Member

i believe wally world on hwy 70 is in the town of clayton. i think i remember they asked to be annexed when they built.
    speaking of beggars. i like the young lady at clayton wally world that says she is stranded and needs money for bus ticket home. where does bus stop in clayton?

9. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

You're right, CPD would have jurisdiction but nothing they can do if the homeless-uh-scammer has a permit.

I lol at the bus ticket signs too, the closest stop is Smithfield, no? Why not go beg there... oh yeah...

I have seen posts on fb with people saying, "I know this girl (the one with four kids, I think). Yeah, she has four kids, and my mother is their legal guardian. Don't give her money, she uses it for drugs."

10. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Ever think he took the few bucks he made and went over to Great Clips for an $8 haircut so that he might look more presentable? He might actually be trying to get a job and he used money people gave him to get that haircut. Do they have to look like cavemen to be homeless or down on their luck? I am not saying there are not scammers out there, but stop trying to play amateur detective like we know these people's story from merely driving by them. Even if they have means and are not as destitute as they let on, something in their life has obviously brought them to this position in life, be it drugs or whatever, and that is sad. If someone feels the need to beg, I have compassion for them regardless of their reason to beg.

I don't give them money either. At most I hand out coupons for free meals at nearby restaurants (if I have them in the car).

poppin cork likes this.
  11. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

You ever see the guy @ I 40 and exit 284 or 285 (1 of the airport exits). he has a wheel chair, he's dressed like a Viet nam vet, has a skeleton also dressed up that sits in the wheel chair? Several flags on the wheel chair.

12. Chad

Chad New Member

Let all be aware of one thing, Just because someone has a car, a job, or clean clothes, doesn't mean they have a home to go to, Many live in their car, wash up at the gym and go to work every day, only to find out that their pay check isn't enough to support a home. Some have situations others don't know about. If you haven't walked in their shoes, don't try to walk their mile. I know of someone who works two jobs, pays 2000.00 a month in child support for two kids, and lives in his car. He only has 1200.00 a month to live off of, after paying his car note and food and gas to get to work, he only has about 300.00 a month to live off of. Not having a home to go to, prevents him from seeing his kids. Don't judge people unless you know. Don't degrade the ones truly in need, either help or get out of the way.

Lucky1 likes this.
  13. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

Excellent post, Chad. The latest figures I've read are that 47% of the middle-class today is living paycheck to paycheck with little in the way of savings, so almost half would need to scramble to stay off the streets. I do not understand the judgement of people concerning the homeless at 40/42 that they would spend their time here trying to discern whether or not someone is truly "homeless", based on "looks" alone. That seems a bit presumptuous to me, and hardly worth doing.

pcroom and BobF like this.
  14. pcroom

pcroom Well-Known Member

I try not to judge people. The beggars have problems I cannot be aware of. I count my blessings every day that my needs are met. I don't have luxuries, but I have a roof over my heat, food, air when it's hot, heat when it's cold. My van is 11 years old, but it runs good and meets my needs.

15. pcroom

pcroom Well-Known Member

What a shame. Don't judge a book by it's cover. You have no way of knowing what a person is going through.

16. cynadon

they are not homeless, they're american nomads.

Auxie and Rockyv58 like this.
  17. 1_more_PitBull

1_more_PitBull Well-Known Member

18. cynadon

dont-feed-the-animals.jpg

Attached Files:

19. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter Well-Known Member

just give ddrdan a few bucks and he will start walking towards the liquor store