How Long for School Lunch?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Flowergirl, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Flowergirl

Flowergirl Well-Known Member

For those that have school aged kids that purchase a lunch at school have they said how long they have to eat their lunch once they go through the line? I thought by the end of this week things would be going a little quicker/smoother but my son says he only has about 5 minutes to eat once he gets seated. I guess we will start packing lunches on Tuesday.

2. magnolia

magnolia Well-Known Member

That's about par for the course. Most get about 40-50 minutes, but that includes leaving class and going to the cafeteria, standing in line, making the purchase and then sitting down to eat.

That's why I pack my kidlet's lunch. I include juice, because even if just getting milk...they have to stand in a long line.

3. AppleFritters

AppleFritters Well-Known Member

:? I just don't get it. This the first year we've dealt with the long lines going from middle to high school. And here I was thinking it was going to get better. But from your comment it seems this is just the way it's going to be. I wondered why so many kids loose weight in high school. So it's cold sandwiches for the next four years????????? :evil:

4. ponychick

ponychick Well-Known Member

My son is at West, and he tells me he gets about 10 minutes to eat after being in line. I thought I had noticed an increase in his speed eating... This is something I've been nagging him about, but I guess it's just habit formed from neccessity. That sucks.

5. magnolia

magnolia Well-Known Member

Pretty much, yeah. To be honest, I don't worry about sandwiches anymore. I pack cheese and crackers, rather than sandwiches...sometimes those lunchable snackers. Containers of fruit or some veggies and then I buy the prepackaged containers of dressing or fruit dip. That kind of thing.

6. scbuff

scbuff Well-Known Member

sounds like parents need to wake up earlier and make your kids a big breakfast before going to school these days.

I remember when I was in High School, I would actually run to lunch so I could be the first 20 or so in line, That way I could actually sit down and enjoy eating my meal and talking with my friends a good 20 minutes or so.

7. AppleFritters

AppleFritters Well-Known Member

I hear what you're saying but that is not the point form the way I see it. High School takes in shortly after 7am and lunch is 12:30 for some?We're talking about almost 5 hrs since breakfast. I was reading an article just this morning where West Johnston was built to accomodate 1600 students and as of last Tuesday enrollment toppled 1900. Sure you can add mobile units but what does that do to facilliate getting kids a balanced lunch midday?

8. Vociferous

Vociferous Guest

I would take the lunch, no questions asked. Why put up with the line for food that has to be packaged and prepared where it can be stored for the entire week then cooked for a thousand-plus people within a very short period of time. Lunch from home avoids the lines and gives a chance to have a healthy meal.

9. Krusty

Krusty Guest

Yeah, lunch is kinda crazy, even more so now. Went from 4 luches to 6. I don't eat lunch but my friends do, they manage to get through lines pretty quickly, but theyre close to the cafeteria. But I've seen some kids actually stand in line, pay for their lunch and then have to go to class (without getting a chance to eat), it's crazy.

And about the size, its also kinda odd, the cafeteria gets crowded fast. Even with the "Senior Area" opened, the lunch room can get pretty hectic quickly, mostly due to the fact that they are keeping lunches split to certain sides and have stupid ropes strung up across the cafeteria :x

[edit]And they also feel its needed to release the lunch groups 5 minutes early then what the time schedules really are.