Hurricane Matthew - 2016

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by jesse82nc, Oct 2, 2016.

1. certdude

certdude Well-Known Member

Just in at 415pm, I40 Eastbound is closed at NC42. All traffic being diverted to NC42.

NC210 between McGees(NC50) and Angier(NC55) is closed due to flooding and multiple trees down.

Jackson King Rd between NC210 and NC42 closed due to multiple trees down. Avoid this area also as there are power lines reported down.

US 70 is flooded out in Princeton area (east JoCo) and is impassable.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
    Sherry A. likes this.
  2. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear this.

3. Sherry A.

Everyone please stay off the roads and be safe!

4. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I made it to wake Med but I get off at 11pm. I just hope Cleveland school road be open

5. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  6. Sherry A.

7. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

Swift Creek at NC 42 looks like it is very close to coming over the bridge!

8. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Has anyone traveled down Cleveland School Road?

9. certdude

Meant to update this and then drove to Kinston for a generator today.

Most roads are clear now, except 210, Cornwallis Rd, Raleigh Rd, and Old Drug Store (being cleaned now, pending power lines). 210 near Smithfield (Cleveland Rd intersection), Cornwallis Rd and Raleigh Rd are both closed probably until at least tomorrow due to flooding on Middle and Swift Creeks. Cleveland School Rd was open from 42 to at least Cornwallis, as I surveyed that this morning for flood updates. Jackson King Rd may be closed still, Ive heard mixed reports on it today, but I think its being confused that the N section was closed this morning, and the S section (near 210) reopened this morning.

70 Bypass and 70 (not biz) are open from I40 to Kinston. That said, Kinston is expecting flooding tomorrow for Neuse River, so 70 may be shut down if the main bridge is overwash.

Please do not drive through flood waters. 1 person died on Cornwallis due to road flooding, and theres been too many water rescues to count on many area roads today and last night.

10. ROUTER

ROUTER Well-Known Member

I wish I had a loaf of bread right now....

nr4042 likes this.
  11. Bluewillow

Bluewillow Well-Known Member

Any updates to when power will be restored in our area? Duke website said "assessing damage" when I last checked. Keep safe everyone!

12. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

13. sirputz

Raleigh rd is open from the high school to Cleveland School Rd, (i took the shirtcut from 210 to the school) no power there on 210 from Sheetz thru Raleigh rd... barber mill is closed by the trash place. Steel bridge is flooded on the portion that goes straight into Lee rd. (Didn't know that was flooded till i drove under the caution tape at night because it wasn't flooded yesterday at 5 pm.)
    40/42 mostly has power near walmart thru dominos...
    Cornwallis is open again.

14. jesse82nc

NC42 was still closed between Rock Service Station and Sauls Road. The detour is very long.

CLOSED:
    upload_2016-10-10_8-22-18.png

DETOUR:
    upload_2016-10-10_8-25-18.png

15. certdude

Some downstream parts of creeks/rivers are flooding today. See Kinston for example. Please dont drive through tape. Its there for a reason. DOT only has so many crews running signs, and are trying more to get trees cleared than block roads.

42 I looked at this morning at that segment, I hope DOT opens that as the creek has receded. That said Im not sure the integrity of the road, so maybe why its closed.
    An alternate detour is to go south to Mt Pleasant Rd and around and back up 50.

Jackson King if its not marked yet consider it closed. Folks were driving on it not realizing theres lines down with the trees still covering. Im trying to get DOT now to get it blocked off, as firetape folks are ignoring.

Duke got most of their crews in last night and let them sleep until this morning. They were released for work at 9am. Lots of pictures of them on ABC11 if you want to see them stage. If you have not, please report your outage. There is so many lines down, they may fix one and think you are ok, and not realize it unless you report it.

16. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

heard from someone here at work that they are planning to release some water from Falls Lake which will flood the Neuse again if the level has gone down any at all.

17. certdude

Looks like theyve already started: http://www.swt-wc.usace.army.mil/FALL.lakepage.html

18. jesse82nc

19. sirputz

Well, in my defense it was dark and the tape was so high it went right over my minivan...there was only one run, so was never intending to do that.

20. jesse82nc

NC42 was still closed this morning at the location mentioned on the maps above. That detour is sooo long.