i see a new sheetz is coming to amelia church road

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by browneyedgirl, Sep 13, 2013.

1. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

2. lgb0250

lgb0250 Well-Known Member

Too funny! This is what they gave me:

Larry, currently, this location is set to open in April 2014; however, this could change depending on weather or other delays. Please check back as the opening date approaches for more updates. Thank you!

At least they are consistent with their answers!

3. anonangie

anonangie Member

Apparently they're trying to buy or may have already bought land deeper in Clayton at 70 and 42E- looking to tear down people's houses in and along 70 and put a sheetz there. Totally confused by this as they haven't even opened the first one. Anyone with any insight?

4. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

It's not at all uncommon for companies such as Sheetz to be working on multiple locations at the same time. I'd guess that the first one will be open before they get all the approvals and start construction on the one at 70 & 42 East.

5. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

One place they could probably get a bunch of land for next to nothing is on Ranch Road at the 70 bypass

6. C me Now BMM

C me Now BMM Well-Known Member

Probably not enough roof tops in that general area.

7. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

I don't think the master plan called for commercial at that intersection.

8. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

I posted this on this same thread on 11/26/13.

9. jesse82nc

Is this where you mean? I was a little confused by the description. It would help to include an address or map.

https://goo.gl/maps/h8Qqa

10. jesse82nc

I saw that today as well. Sheetz looks to be only another month or two from looking complete, at least on the outside.

Here's the facebook page for the apartments - https://www.facebook.com/LiveAtAmeliaStation

11. gcoats3

No. Sheetz option on property on US 70 in Clayton is further west than the site "A" on your map. The site is at the intersection of US 70 and Rose Street. I believe it would be the SW corner of US 70 and Rose Street. There is a for sale sign on the corner lot. My understanding is the option for the corner lot and 4 adjoining lots facing US 70.

12. jesse82nc

Ah ok, looks like from Google Streetview, that corner property has been for sale since at least April 2012.

https://www.google.com/maps/preview...Street!5m2!1sB4l25pOfgmjWLoIZWcDd2g!2e0&fid=5

And the opposite corner was for sale then as well.

https://www.google.com/maps/preview...ina+42!5m2!1sT3pvDQfp76LfafrRrHS49g!2e0&fid=5

13. gcoats3

This proposed rezoning will be interesting. An individual from Selma purchased property on US 70 next to the corner lot on the opposite side of Rose Street a couple of years ago and wanted to build a convenience store but the residents in the area opposed the rezoning and Town Council voted against the rezoning request. Now it will be Sheetz vs residents. As I said this should be interesting. In my opinion the property on US 70 along this area will eventually all business but I understand the homeowners living behind the US 70 road frontage lots not being pleased.

14. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

Well it sure looks like a Sheetz is coming in at 42/Amelia Church, and way before the apartments!!!

15. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I know thats what the originally had been the plan, but it actually makes more sense for them to open first. Look at all the construction workers that will be over there on the apartment site. They'll sell coffee and food to those guys all day long, plus the gasoline sales. It looks like its going to be a very nice, high-end apartment complex.

16. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

There was to be a Sheetz at NC 50 & Old Bethel Church Rd. The neighbors got it voted down by Garner for zoning.

17. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Playing Devil's advocate here. "The only constant in life is Change. As people get older they are less likely to embrace change. All I can say is they need to get over it and get over themselves."

But I am also reminded that people can be up for change but the mentality of "Not In My Back Yard" comes to mind.

18. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

In this case, the Sheetz was going in across from the soccer fields, and the concren was kids/parents walking across Bethel Church Rd to get snacks etc and someone getting hit.

I go by there, but dont live near there, so i couldnt have voted 1 way or another on this Sheetz.

19. two7520

two7520 Member

Actually he bought a vacant lot behind the corner property (corner of Rose/Tulip) and the lot with the house third from the corner of Rose and 70- and he wasn't pitching a c-store, he wanted to rezone both properties to commercial under the guise of upfitting the existing home on the highway property to house a small hobby shop catering to the remote control car market. Once his "piecemeal" rezoning application (to use the town planner's actual words) was voted down by the Town Council, instead of reapplying, he began renting the house and opened a Toy and Gun store at highway 70 and Sadisco Road.