if you live in jo. co., can you send kids to wake co schools?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by pbarefoot, Dec 3, 2008.

1. pbarefoot

pbarefoot Well-Known Member

I know, it sounds crazy, but a friend of mine thought that if you lived in jo. co., you could send your kids to wake co. schools. Anyone heard if this is true or not?

Thanks!

PB

2. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

I am sure they would have to go through redistricting process if it's even possible.

3. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

No, you must send your kids to their own county....unless things have seriously changed!

4. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

Why would you want to??? I don't know for sure, but I have a hard time believing you could with all the over-crowded schools everywhere. And if you could, I'd think you'd have to pay.

When my oldest started K, we were moving from Wake to Joco (building our house), and the first two months we lived in Wake but took him to and from Cleveland everyday (sshh!). There was no way he was going to Creech!

5. Pickle

Pickle Well-Known Member

I thought you could but that you had to pay something. Except given their schools most people want to do it the other way around.

6. pbarefoot

pbarefoot Well-Known Member

we just wish Jo co. had more magnet schools, etc. That's the only reason I would even consider sending my child to wake co.

7. KellBell

LOL....I almost typed the exact same thing.

8. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

Haha! It's not that all schools in Wake Co are bad, it's just they're a mess! I'd hate to deal with that every year!

9. peppercorns

peppercorns Well-Known Member

LOL -that was my first thought too....WHY?

One of the primary reasons I moved from WAke county to Joco was for the schools....do your homework first. THose schools are "redistricted" and have a tremendous mixture of kids from the "inner city"area. - All that is.. is a fancy name for Bussing. Even Garner and others are tough on a kid. I lived in Cary and hated the schools. I wanted my child to go to a local school so that all her friends are in the area for fun and socailizing too.
    Visit the school and make sure you get a good idea of what you are doing. Johnston County has a great Accelerated Student program. They can even go to the college if you want them too.

10. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

They used to allow it if you paid something, don't know the amount, something about taxes? But I kinda doubt they allow it anymore - since they're overcrowded too.
    I agree - why in the world would you want to? :banghead:

11. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

That's great! Now, if they could do something about the special education situation here, we'd be doing just grand. I know personally way too many special ed parents in Johnston County that have to fight way to hard to get minimal services. It's really and truly sad what they are doing here. Almost all the special ed parents communicate often in this county and share ideas of how to make it better, what we can do as parents, etc. And no, it's NOT the teachers. We had a teacher beg us(the parents) last year for help b/c the admin wasn't going to do it. That's truly ashame in my opinion. They have great special ed teachers in this county in my opinion. I just think they<the admin> 1) don't give them the credit they deserve and 2) don't listen to what the teachers have to say when a student needs something. I hear a bit from parents about the great gifted program and the great accelerated program they have in this county. I'd love to share the same about the special ed program. But can't until it is fixed.

As for being able to send your kid to Wake the answer is no. Emphatically. Yes, we've asked this question personally to the super intendent when we were having a "situation" here w/ JCPS. Now, this was about 2 years ago or so-- so maybe things changed but highly doubt it.

And for those who don't think your kids will get shuffled around in this county, think again. My older kids have been to more schools than on one hand. and that is JUST elementary. JCPS tries to move the special ed kids around when they are "over crowded." Ridiculous b/c these classes are usually very, very small. My kids have been to Cooper, Riverwood, Riverdell, Polenta, Cleveland and Westview. My 13yo had been to 6 different elementary schools. I think that is insane. NOw, one move was b/c we relocated to 40/42 from 70 but that was it. The rest was the JCPS doing. Fortunately, most my younger kids have so far been to 2 different schools. But the 3 older kids are the ones who really got the raw end of the stick in my opinion. I didn't move that much and I grew up a military brat! So, just b/c you are in this county, does not necesarily mean the school system won't be a mess here. And as always a reminder...these are MY opinions based on MY experiences w/ MY kids and the school system. Yours may vary.

stephanie--mom to 7

12. INTHEBUFF

INTHEBUFF Well-Known Member

I'm not from this area but have several friends that while growing up in JOCO went to Wake Co. schools because at the time they were better schools when considering college, basically because they offered more college prep courses. This was about 30 years ago, so not sure if things have changed, it was about $500 per school year I believe more or less. Wake Co. kids can also attend the JOCO schools as well, older daughter new of several kids who were kicked out of the Garner High school but attended West Jo.
    Can't stand it when other peoples trash blows in my yard.

13. Rostrawberry

Rostrawberry Well-Known Member

call me a dope

but

what is a "magnet school"?

14. turtlepits

turtlepits Well-Known Member

Well, here is what happened to us last year..... Last year we moved from Johnston County to Wake. There was only a month left in school so I had been taking the kids to their school they were in and planned on them finishing the year out there and start their new school the following school year. Well, someone in our old neighborhood told my sons teacher that we had moved. The school sent me a letter on Monday and it said my kids could no longer attend that school after that Friday. By that time there was only two and a half weeks left for school. I went to the board of Ed and they told me it was up to the principal if they could continue there, as long as I continued to provide transportation so they could finish the year out. I turn all the proper paper work to the Principal and she DENIED them, her reason was it was a CAPPED school. She said there was not enough room there for my two kids. What a load of CRAP!! They had already been going there and there was only two and a half weeks left. It wasn't like they would be taking in more new students in those couple of weeks.
    So I took them to where their new school was and enrolled them that following Monday and they could not believe JoCo would not let them finish out the year there. They were in as much shock as I was. So my kids went to a new school for two weeks then got out for the summer break.
    Now we are as happy as can be. The kids even like being on a Modified Schedule.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  15. reeteach2

reeteach2 Well-Known Member

I believe that anyone from any county can attend a charter school if they are accepted. I believe the parents have to provide transportation, though. So a JoCo kid could go to a charter school in Wake, for example.

16. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

100% accurate

or a wake co kid could go to a joco charter.

17. KellBell

slight hijack...

DB...where you been? glad to see you posting some...

18. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

We live in J. Co and sent our oldest to Raleigh Charter High School. It was a wonderful experience. I have to admit the drive got old since I didnt work in Raleigh or anything, but it was well worth it.

19. irishluck

irishluck Well-Known Member

i know someone who lives in joco and takes their kid to a wake co school. so it is possible apparently

20. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

If you have a JoCo student that goes to a Wake Co school then you have some sort of unique situation. Like a Wake County teacher who lives in JoCo could in most cases send their kids to a Wake School. But Wake can not handle it's own population much less accept a student from another county even for a fee. It doesnt work the other way around either Wake can't go to Joco.
    Of course, any N.C. student can attend any N.C. charter school for free. Your JoCo student could attend a Charlotte charter if you dont mind the drive!!

BTW, magnet schools are schools that offer special programs to help "reduce high concentrations of poverty and support diverse populations" (the politically correct definition taken from Wake County Public School website.)
    Basically these programs entice students from higher income neighborhoods to attend the school in the lower income area. It's done on a lottery type system but it's a weighted system. For example, priority would be given to a student who is not on the Free and Reduced Lunch Program and is assigned to a base school with low F&R student population over a student who is not on F&R but assigned to a base school with high F&R. Don't know if that explains things well. it's based on F&R. It's not politically correct any more (and illegal) for it to be said it's a way to help racially balance the schools. But that's what it is so I don't think me saying it is wrong. It's just a fact. There is no way they can honestly say that race is not a factor when determining who is going to get in to a magnet school or not. I want to state here that I am one of the most non-racist people you will ever meet so don't take my opinion the wrong way!!!!!!
    Magnet schools are great if you can get in one that has been successful in accomplishing the above. They don't all do. Garner High is a magnet school. Please, talk someone from Cary to come to Garner High. LOL But they would drive to Broughton or Enloe.
    You have to be careful because they can lose their magment status. Not because they arent a good school. Maybe too good. Broughton High School for example is in the news right now. Back in the day they once really needed to be F&R balanced. But over the years the area has become pretty affluent and the magnet program isn't needed to bring in students from other neighborhoods. Now they want to bus in some F&R students and the families that live in the Broughton area are ****ed off!
    It's all so pitiful you have to laugh.
    The N&O has had some pretty good articles in the last coupla weeks on Broughton's situation and explains the maget program pretty well.

DB's wife

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008