If your kids cruise the internet...

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by dephygravitee, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Southernborn

Southernborn Well-Known Member

Ditto...

No one was a perfect angel, and no child will be Omni, but as parents it is our responsibility to teach them what is appropriate and what is not.

BTW-Yes, I did not get into trouble at 14 and 15 years old. I didn't do stuff like sex, drinking, etc. until I was an adult and I credit my parents rearing for much of that. I just hope I have the same impact on my children that my parents had on me.

2. OmniOne1

OmniOne1 Well-Known Member

No one is saying don't teach your kids good values. What i am trying to say is. At the high school age, that is when you need to start letting your kids take the values you taught them, and putting them to good use. My points are only going out to those parents that think they need or can control every little thing their kids do at the age of 14. Yes they need rules. But different ones. Why can't your daughter have a myspace? Why can't she talk to her friends on her own IM? She's 14 years old. let her take the values you have brought upon her, and use them.

if they don't use those values. Thats when you start buckling down. But at that age you should allow them some internet freedom. If the worst thing they see is an advertisment then I would be very proud.

I AM NOT saying anyone is a bad parent. Just expressing the need to give your child that needed space while keeping a grip at the same time. In my opinion that is the hardest thing to do as a parent.

3. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

My Dad called it a spring. If you let that thing keep winding, when it get's 18 years on it, it's going to blow all at once. If you let that spring unwide occasionally, it never gets to that point.

4. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

ok, much better. I agree you have to give them some trust. I dont agree with the my space thing, but giving them trust, yes. Do you have kids?

5. Southernborn

Southernborn Well-Known Member

Oh, I agree. My oldest is 14 and I do let her have a myspace and IM. I do however keep the computer password protected, that way I do have control over when she is online, etc. I also will randomly walk by and say let me see and read her page, etc. to make sure she isn't up to no good...LOL. Like I tell her you earn trust, I'll trust you until you prove me wrong, then you've got a whole lot of work to do to get it back.:mrgreen: