Interstate 42 (not a typo)

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Harvey, May 26, 2016.

1. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/traffic/road-worrier-blog/article79890487.html

U.S. 70 will be called I-42 from I-40 to Morehead City.

Dumbest thing I have seen in quite a while. Did anyone stop to think about the confusion this is going to create with existing NC Hwy 42? Intersection of I-40 and NC Hwy 42? US 70 bypass (I-42) and NC Hwy 42? DOn't know what numbers they had to choose from, but dang thing seems dumb to me.

2. certdude

certdude Well-Known Member

Ya saw that in the paper today.

Theres a logic with the numbers vs location, and its related that I40 is here already, even though with NC42 it is confusing. They probably just went with the next even number free, being 42. Has to be even since its E-W. So confusion aside, it follows existing interstate standards perfectly

3. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

In the numbering scheme for the primary routes, east-west highways are assigned even numbers and north-south highways are assigned odd numbers. Odd route numbers increase from west to east, and even-numbered routes increase from south to north (to avoid confusion with the U.S. Highways, which increase from east to west and north to south), though there are exceptions to both principles in several locations. This numbering system holds true even if the local direction of the route does not match the compass directions.

Therefore, since it runs west to east, it is an even number. And since it is north of I-40, it would have to be higher than 40. 42 is the next number.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_70_in_North_Carolina#Future_Interstate_42

The Truth likes this.
  4. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

It's no big deal. Intrastate signs are blue and easily recognizable.

Auxie and The Truth like this.
  5. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter Well-Known Member

Call it what it is....faster routes to the beach. Meanwhile traffic is at a standstill in Charlotte and Raleigh most of the day.

6. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

Suggestions?