Is it true?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by zookeeper, Aug 14, 2007.

1. zookeeper

zookeeper Well-Known Member

I heard today that teachers assistants, and cafeteria, office and custodial staff who work for Johnston County Schools all either have a bus route or are required to drive a school bus on occasions. IS THIS TRUE?

2. ShrtnSwt

ShrtnSwt Well-Known Member

To my knowledge it has always been that way.

3. Pickle

Pickle Well-Known Member

I have been thinking about starting this thread for a while so I glad someone did. Not only does it suck for the TA, it seems kind of dangerous. They must be exhausted working in the classroom and having to drive the bus. Who does one go to formally complain and maybe stop that practice?

4. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

When you go complain, make sure you have their replacement ready to go. Nothing worse than someone going....This is wrong! This is wrong! Then they ask...ok what do you suggest we do about it? And the complainer always goes...i dont know but there has to be a better way.

Make sure you have the "better way" with you.

5. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

i think it probably boils down to a money thing.

6. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

I remember being a student in NCPS when I was younger and high school students driving us around. They were SO cautious b/c they didn't want to screw up! And guess what, I don't remember there ever being an accident. Teachers and other workers are exhausted from a long school day. Adding a bus route to it I think adds way too much stress and puts the kids in danger along w/ the bus driver. Why can't we let the students drive again? Shoot, the buses don't go that fast. Does anyone have statistics for when the students used to drive versus when the adults drive now? It would seriously be a wonderful comparison. I also think they put way too much on the teachers nowadays. And bus drivers having to do extra stuff. Like when my son is in his wheelchair after surgeries. It's just alot to put on someone after a FULL day of work. I agree w/ everyone, too much to ask of them. Terrible too as they probably lose some good would-be teachers b/c of this rule. I know I wouldn't want to drive a huge bus w/ tons of students. I'd be scared to death! Way to go busdrivers who are also our TA's, custodians and other school staff. Thanks for putting up w/ it all. And if I recall, my bus driver said they do NOT get paid any extra or time for it. Is that true?

Take care,

Stephanie--mom to 7

7. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

I've complained. To all the staff in ear shot. And the teachers have complained to me. There are so many parents out there that would be great TAs but don't want to drive a bus. Dang scrate that includes me. If they'd hire me as a TA I'd be on it like stink on the brown stuff. But driving a bus is an entirely different job. Pass. So, I'll continue to working for them for free as a volunteer. Which obviously suits the higher ups just fine.

8. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Back in the dark ages when i rode a school bus, it was a great job for stay at home moms and high school seniors or college kids - guess the times they are achanging:lol:

9. smiles

smiles Well-Known Member

On the other hand, my husband had a bus driver in high school who was also the school "supplier" for "recreational drugs." He wasn't fired until he decided to see how long of skid marks he could leave on the mountain road outside of Asheville.

Many TAs only drive one route, morning or afternoon. Also, I know of several TAs who need the bus route money to help make ends meet. They don't make a huge salary as a TA. Perhaps TAs should respond to this instead of those of us who do not drive the buses.

10. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

Pardon me.

11. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

We have lost lots of good TA's, custodians, etc because they were required to drive a bus.

12. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

When they started combining the jobs like that, I heard it was because people wanted full-time jobs, and it was a way to answer that need. But I don't see why it has to be all or nothing. Why can't they hire some part-time people to do one or the other and some full-time people to do both? What is so hard about that?

13. ShrtnSwt

ShrtnSwt Well-Known Member

I applied for a job a few years ago at the Johnston county school board and I had to sign something that said if hired I would be required to substitute driving a bus if ever needed. I didn't want the job after that.

14. All Children First

All Children First Well-Known Member

I know of several people who decided not to work in the schools because of this. I also know that my assistant uses that money to help pay for her son's college. Since the rumor is that our medical plans will go up by 11% in October, the added bus route will offset the added cost of that for her. Either way, it's not a perfect situation, that's for sure!

15. tawiii

tawiii Guest

Kinda sounds like what Bush keeps telling the Dem's ;)

16. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

I was a TA and forced to be a bus driver... IMO 2 jobs that take 2 different personalities. I had to quit being in the classroom because I hated the bus so badly. I had K-8 on the same bus (years ago) and it was torture.

But yes we did get paid hourly for the bus, not much but we did get paid....

17. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

What will the Clayton schools do if their TAs are driving three routes and on the bus until after 9 AM and need to be back on a route by 2:00. Sounds like they will be short with support in the classroom.

It would seem if other counties/states can make bus driving and TA separate positions, so can Johnston County.

18. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

They had buses then?

Craig

19. zookeeper

zookeeper Well-Known Member

Thanks for the responses guys. I'd never heard of this before, but my sister was looking for a job and thought being a TA would be a nice position, though not a lot of money. . .she phoned the principal of one of the hiring schools, as instructed via email, and when she asked about the position listed for a TA, they told her about having to drive the bus. . .I thought she was joking, or heard wrong, so I came to the Johnston County Answer Bank (aka 4042.com) for the scoop.

I can't believe you can't perform one job without the other. . .there are a lot of people who would make great employees in many areas of a school, but are terrible drivers, or too nervous to handle driving a bus.

I lived in the boondocks of New Hampshire and even there, they had bus drivers who were JUST bus drivers and school staff who did only general staffing jobs.

If people who work for the school system wish to drive a bus in addition to their regular job, more power to them. . .It just seems a shame that people, like my sister - who says an SUV is as large a vehicle as she's comfortable driving - can not apply for a job they'd be great doing.

20. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

i WILL hurt you:lol::lol::lol: