Johnston County Animal Control Strike Again!!!

Discussion in 'Cat Dog' started by Anonymous, Oct 5, 2004.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Well-Known Member

To the person who dog swallowed the knife. Please SPEAK UP now! You can sue the county for millions!! This should of never happened to your dog, and it probably happened to other dogs also. Don't stay silent, now is the time! Please Call Nancy at Justice For The Animals.

2. Anonymous

Oh my gosh!! I just can't believe all the hatefull things that people are saying and do say on these discussion groups!! I don't usually post on these things, but feel I need to and want to put in my 2 cents. I feel if the family who's puppy was hurt is understanding and forgiving and just as upset over what happened as Niko's owner, who gives anyone the right to be so hateful toward Niko's family. It seems the point here is that the shelter made a huge mistake in putting Niko down when all he was suppose to be is quarantined and from what I have read, there does not seem to be any remorse other than an "oops". (now whether or not they feel bad, I do not know, but just going on what I have read here) And from what I am reading, this isn't the first time this type of mistake was made. That to me seems to be a major problem and it needs to be investigated and rectifed to keep it from happening again. I think it is pretty sad and petty for some of you to sit in judgement of these people and call them names and put them down. You, as myself, do not know what caused this to happen. It does not necessarily have anything to do with being an unresponsible owner or anything like that. I knew someone who was a police officer with a K-9 unit and he trusted his dog completely, but one day he,(the dog), hurt someone, (not on duty either). This had nothing to do with this police officer being irresponsible, but something irritated and upset the dog and he bit someone. Normally this dog was a very loving and well behaved dog and this officer's 3 year old and 5 year old were around the dog at home all the time. Things can happen and none of you know if something might have irritated the dog or spooked him or what. I guess the point I am trying to make is that what this dog did, since he could not actually tell anyone what he was feeling, might have been his way of expressing what he was feeling. No biting, (attacking as some of you might have called it) someone or another animal, was not a good thing, but it was an isolated incident. The dog was not allowed to patrol for quite a while, but once they were sure that he was ok and was able to do his job (he was evaluated), the dog went back out on patrol and nothing like that has happened again.

Yes, I agree there are people out there that are irresponsible and should not be pet owners. I cry every time I hear of an animal being abused, or hurt or just plain ignored. I cry watching animal planet and want to go through the TV screen and knock some sense into this people for how they have treated these animals. As with having kids, having a pet is a huge responsibility and should be a life long responsibility. Some people seem to think that are just "things" and that they do not have feelings and don't get attached, but they do. And these animals love uncondionally. You wouldn't throw your kids away or get rid of them if they did something horrible, would you? You may be very hurt, upset, angry, frustrated, etc, but you would still love them and stick by them, no matter what, yet we are so ready to put "pets" down for mistakes made. Yes, there are some very aggressive animals out there and I do agree that sometimes there are not other recourse for them, but most animals can come through things just fine and with help and love, able to lead full lives. I have animals myself and they are a major part of our lives. I have 2 animals that have been spooked by one thing or another. One had a firecracker thrown at her and then more set off near our fence on 4th of July about 5 years ago and now she is so terrified of thunder or loud noises, she shakes so bad and pants so hard that we have to give her something to calm her down and she tries to climb in our laps (and she is a big dog). My other one, I do not know what happened. She is a poodle and just within the past couple of months something has happened to where she does not like to be outside any more and wants to constantly be up under my feet. When it is time to go out, she runs and hides and then huddles up on the steps because she doesn't want to go out into the yard and she also "cries' every morning when I leave for work. Why this was done, I do not know, but if one of of these ever got nipped for irritating my dogs, they would deserve it for it would be the only defense my dogs would have, especially if I was not home. And just for the record, I also have 2 children and knowing how protective I am over them, I would probably be outraged over an animal hurting one of my children, in fact have been and it was a family pet. My son was hurt by a dog, twice, but both times it was accidental. The first time had to do with food when the dog was going to get a treat and he thought my son was going to take it and he snapped at my son (who was maybe 2 or 3 at the time) and caught him in the face. We did take my son to the hospital and the dog was quaratined for 10 days, even though he was up to date on his shots. The second time, it was the same dog, my son startled him and again he snapped and caught my son. I was very angry and upset and could have knocked that dog to kingdom come, I also knew in my heart that there were reasons for him snapping at my son. Heck, the second time my son later shared his ice cream cone with the dog and the dog also seemed to know he messed up. This dog had never been around children until I had mine but he would let these kids climb all over him and do whatever they wanted to him, but these were isolated incidents and I am so thankful that we never put him down! He was one of the best dogs ever. He became very protective of my children! What I am saying it there are circustance that may call for putting an animal down, but other times, it is not necessary.

To Niko's family, I truly want to express my sympathy for you loss. I know there is an empty place in your heart, but know that he is looking down from heaven wagging his tail knowing that he was loved!! And shame on the rest of you for being so cruel and hateful! It is not yours or my place to pass judgement on these people. They have not denied what happened was not a good thing and I am sure if they could change things they would, but the point of this is that the SHELTER messed up even worse.

To the owners of the puppy, God bless you for forgiving your neighbors for what happened and I am glad that you all are doing well.

Now I have gave my 2 cents and I am sure someone out there will blast me and make hateful comments to what I wrote, but that is fine. We are all entitled to an opinion and I would much rather be the one blasted instead of those that are grieving.

3. Anonymous

Peppercorn, People like you and your neighbor ARE the problem. You're a prime example of why animal control laws WILL get tougher in the future, and I thank you for that.

Well you shoudn't have.

Puh-leez.

Exactly, and that's why we don't make laws for dogs. The responsibilities lie with the owners.

Only because the right opportunity never presented itself. Obviously he could have.

Then why didn't he have one? Responsible owners know that german shepherds can jump a 4 foot fence. If you don't know that, you don't need a german shepherd!

This story is sad but all too common. It is just typical of the naivete shown by most pet owners. I'm sorry that Niko's dad had to learn such a hard lesson, but hopefully the lesson WAS actually learned.

4. Anonymous

Why isn't the television station covering this??? This would be national news in other cities??? Please NEWS REPORTERS! Help out the animals In Johnston County! They can't speak, but you can speak for them! Thank you in advance.

5. Anonymous

Most reporters probably see this story for what it truly is. A sad ending to a story of irresponsible pet ownership.

6. Guest7777777

All your rantings aren't going to save Roger, Rick or the JCAPL's reputation. Anyway you cut it, they killed an innocent dog and they killed another one by letting it ingest a knife. So get off your bandwagon, nobody is taking any of you seriously.

AND THEY ADMITTED TO IT!! AND THEY SAY OOPS????? You have to take responsibility in life and they are responsible!!!! They know it, you know it, and God help him, Niko knows it!

7. Anonymous

Just so everyone knows starting tonight news14 will be covering the story.
    Also many newspappers have been contacted and will cover the tragidy also.
    This isn't a question of is the dogs owner wrong. The question you should all ask isn't this the USA. And aren't we allowed to make our own choices.

NOTHING MORE, NOTHING LESS!

For everyone who suports Nico and his family THANK YOU.

Everyone else I hope that one day you do not have to wake up and make a choice and someone else did it for you first.

8. Anonymous

OtisandWagger, I don't even know who Roger and Rick are, and I have nothing to do with the JCAPL.

If he was innocent, why are we having this discussion?

...and now PEOPLE are responsible for what dogs swallow!!!???

You are screwed up!

9. Anonymous

Peppercorn

You're lucky because my dog will never bother you, reason being, it is and will be contained. While my dog doesn't have the potential to cause the harm a shepard can, MY NEIGHBORS are quite appeciative of the fact that they need not worry or be hassled by my pet. It may be a foreign thing where YOU LIVE but we like to refer to it as being responsible. Novel concept but it works and would have worked here as well.

The neighborhood you might wanna look out for is referred to in the initial post where apparently it's OK for large breed dogs to jump over and attack whatever might be in the next yard. Mark it down sister, that dog would have done the same to a child in the same spot, it deemed it a broach inhis area and responded.

Change the puppy to child and this story takes a whole new spin.

So go join the rest of the big-talker blowhards that accomplish nothing and get off my back. It hurts to lose a pet, it hurts more to know it was your own fault. This dude knows it, you know it and I know it. To think otherwise is to head back into that fool's paradise where you reside now.

10. Anonymous

Can someone tell me what the call letter are for News 14? I don't get it on my system?
    Thank you in advance

11. John Cate

John Cate Member

Just so you know, I am aware of this situation, having received an email about it last night, and someone is working on it for next week. We were too far into production last night to have done anything about it for Thursday's paper.

If you do feel the need to call me, please wait until tomorrow. I was awake all last night doing the Cleveland Post and just woke up, and I won't be in the office again until morning. The Post runs on a 8 a.m. Wednesday press deadline, and as soon as it's done every week, I go to bed.

12. Anonymous

Alright people, this situation is getting blown way out of proportion. Anyone with two eyes and a brain can tell that this isn't about who's right and who's wrong between neighbors, and its hardly about Niko's familiy's failure to construct a higher fence or properly train their dog. The issue here completly lies with Johnston County Aminal Shelter's inabitity to properly run their facility. How many times has this happened before? Must we continually deal with incapable people handling our "family members" in a way that not only causes personal tragedy but ouright breaks state laws. Our rights are being trampled on here. Someone needs to come up with a system (that works) that protects these animals who do not have to die. This is simply a fault in our local government and we as the people have the right to come together and correct it.

13. Anonymous

Ah My Dear Guest.... :roll:

I have owned dogs all my life. None of mine have ever bitten anyone. They are always in a fenced in yard, clean ,fed, and well cared for. All my dogs are rescues. Have you ever rescued a dog? Even my currently punctured puppy was a freebie because of her mixed background. Rather then allow her to go to the pound, I brought her home. None are fancy, papered pure breds. What my dogs are .. are love puupies. They are a part of my family,not a commodity. What all this makes me is a responsible pet owner.

Niko parents underestimated his jumping ability. That does not make them bad people.

Niko's parents are not into animal telepathy, so they could not read what was going through his mind when he saw the puppy.

Niko's family loved him and took care of him. That is why I am not getting a whole bunch of rabies shots.

Niko's family was supposed to have ten days to get a better fence and use what they have learned to create a safer environment for Niko and the rest of the neighborhood.

Niko was put to sleep by the Animal Control people with out even so much as a phone call. He was not given his ten days. They could not say good bye. They could not re-train him. They could not build a better fence.

The purpose of this whole post thing is to educate people on several levels.
    1. Never underestimate what your dog can jump over. Not just for attacking but just for getting out of the yard and getting lost, or hit by a car. Create the most secure area you can.
    2. Never take for granted the actions of an animal. they can be unpredicable. (Unless you are Guest, then you will ALWAYS know what the animal will do - Guest Dolittle).
    3. Never trust your friendly Johnston County Animal Control people when they tell you "everything will be fine."
    4. Value what you have, for you may not have it as long as you thought.
    5. The putz at Animal Control who was supposed to put down a terrier and got it confused with a German Shepard is a total idiot.

And for my two cents on my soap box....The best thing we all can do as pet owners is spay and neuter our pets. Too many need homes and too many are in the pound.

The news and TV stations have been notified. Some have already met with the family. People, like Guest, are entitled to their opinion. That's the job of the media; to present both sides and inform people so that things like this do not happen again. Thank you to all who expressed concern. Even if you do not think this a big issue - learn from it and file the info away. Maybe someday it will come in handy.

If I can forgive Niko, miss him, and share the pain of his death with his family, then so should you all.

14. Anonymous

niko

let me say i just found out about this travesty anybody who truly loves animals knows that losing a pet is just like losing a member of your family.i'd like to tell the person that not all large dogs are capable of jumping a fence some don't even know they can do it if they have never tried and that is neither here nor there this is about some person or persons who DO NOT BELONG working in an animal shelter my understanding is that the person that put niko down had wtitten instruction to put down a terrier not a german shepard if a person cannot tell the difference between the two he or she has no business working with animals hopefully anyone that reads will not think i am being prejudiced in my view on this as the person that owned this dog is my brother but i can assure everyone that i am very capable of being objective.
    nothing will bring the animal back to life but ther certainly needs to be some repercussions at the humane society where this so called mistakes took place.
    good luck,bro
    ld

15. Anonymous

The law in North Carolina

Actually, the facts are:
    The NC Dept of Agriculture regulates NC animal control facilities. The NC law is GS 130A (see www.ncleg.net/statutes/generalstatutes/html/bysection/chapter_130a for details). GS 130A says that the COUNTY determines the hold period, but it must be no less than 72 hours. And a quarantine must not exceed 10 days without some action taken (release, review, whatever).

Irrespective of the law, this is a terrible tragedy.

16. Anonymous

Nikko's Death

I think the person who put the dog down should die

17. Anonymous

Niko

I cannot believe that the bunch of you are so uncaring. Yes, the dog jumped the fence. A german shephard is a guard dog. Protecting his territory is his main focus. Niko was protecting his family from an unfamiliar dog. I have been around this dog and seen him sit patiently inside his fenced area and watch 15 or more people playing volleyball in his site. He never once attempted to attack or injure anyone there including me or my two children. His family, mom mostly, has patiently trained him to be a gentleman. He was a very well mannered and well trained dog. But, the threat of another dog was too much for him, size not being the issue.

I was not there when this occurred, but have seen the impact on the family, the neighbors. They are good honest people, who would have put the dog down themselves if it was decided by them that that was the course to take. They were devestated by Niko's actions. The opportunity to make that decision on his behalf was taken away from them.

I feel that the blame lies on the animal shelter facility and the lack of procedure. Come on, didn't some one check the paperwork. I understand that most of the people there are volunteers, but what about pride in workmanship. Even the crappiest job in the world deserves full focus.

18. Anonymous

Um excuse me? A terrier??? Why wasn't that terrier given a chance by being put on PETFINDERS?????? This is a double tragedy, the terrier would have had a great chance of getting adopted had it been on Petfinders.
    Do people not understand the importance of PETFINDERS? Every shelter lists their adoptable cats and dogs DAILY so they will get adopted! From what I was told, the Petfinder SIte, had not been UPDATED for Six or Seven Weeks!! This whole thing is a nightmare. Too many innocent cats (and dogs) are getting shoved into gas chambers. Im sick of being called a Redneck from Johnston County! Enough already, turn this "shelter" into the 21st century already!!!1
    Nikos dad and neighbors, I can't express my sympathy for you. Im a "Cat person" but if a anything like that every happened to me cat, I wouldn't know what to do....

19. Anonymous

...the puppy's mom this ...the puppy's daddy that ...the puppy's grandma ...Niko's daddy ...losing a pet is like losing a member of the family ...the person who put the dog down should die ...his [Niko's] family, mom mostly, has patiently trained him to be a gentleman ...Nikos dad and neighbors, I can't express my sympathy for you. Im a "Cat person".

Pet owners are perfectly sane and logical people ...sure ...whatever. :roll:

20. Anonymous

Unfortunately that is not true. They dont want volunteers there, and they don't even want volunteers to help out at all.
    It's like they are hididng something.
    If Rick Hester allowed volunteers to come in, then there would be alot of loving animal lovers, who would make this place a different place.
    So no, this is not run by volunteers at all! It is not ALLOWED.
    Thankyou