July 4th Celebration! Make your plans to be there!

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Webmaster, Jun 24, 2006.

?

Will you be spending July 4th here or travelling?

1. Here!

100.0%
  2. Travelling

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

July 4th is one of the "big events" locally. For those of you new to the 40/42 area, a parade is held each year, running down the road in front of the Cleveland Volunteer Fire Department. There are vendor booths, games, etc. setup in the parking lot of the Johnston Community College Cleveland Campus building (across the street from the Fire Dept.)

The day is capped off with a street dance and fireworks!

We'll be posting more information soon about the event schedule - and also letting you know about the 4042.com give-a-way we will have at the event! (Hint...it's a repeat of our most popular item ever!)

Here's a story on a past event that will give you an idea of what to expect.
    http://www.4042.com/back_issues/Cleveland_July_4th/body_cleveland_july_4th.html

2. ready2cmyKing

ready2cmyKing Well-Known Member

We'll be at the beach! :D

3. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

I am concerned with the fireworks idea, especially with the threat of fire hazard spreading. Granted, that today, it rained enough to keep fire threat down, but one never knows how dry it will be around the 4th.

Years ago, I was asked to assist with a Lion's club event, but told them that I could not resolve the fundraising activity (selling fireworks) with the Lion's club main goal of helping vision related issues, i.e. free glasses for kids, etc.
    And before you tell me that even a sparkler is safe, let me ask you if you've ever stepped on one. If you have, you know they are hot enough to burn. And with any explosive firework, there is always a risk of burn or eye injury. If you're of legal age and capacity, and choose to set off legal fireworks, then you must also be willing to pay the price for whatever sequelae follow from those fireworks, i.e. injury to self or to others, damage to property for which you might be sued for recovery, etc.
    Minors, by legal definition have no standing legally to decide to play with firworks, and I have rarely seen appropriate supervision by adults, of children playing with fireworks.
    Injury, blindness, sever burns...somehow the words, "I'm sorry" just doesn't cut it.
    I have spoken with my neighbors about the annual fireworks they have done in the past. Last year, they were a bit casual with their celebration, such that some damage was done to my property. The mess that was left was mentionable, as well. When some of them saw me the next day policing up the trash from their fireworks, they came and helped finish the job for which I was grateful. I also explained that neither my children, nor our dogs liked the flash/bang and I would appreciate it if they celebrated within a safer venue. They agreed to do so this year.
    I thought that fireworks were illegal in North Carolina. I knew that there was a political dispensation for municipalities that paid professional companies that performed the fireworks displays, but thought that the road side tent markets were not allowed. I wonder if any of them have been inspected by the local fire departments, and whether they posted some type of insurance or safety bond with the local governments to insure themseleves for unfortuante happenstance.

As we celebrate this magnificent Holiday of our Independence, I hope that you and your families are safe throughtout all of the July 4th period.

This We'll Defend

H6

4. ImTheNormal0ne

ImTheNormal0ne Well-Known Member

we will be leaving this coming thursday for jordan lake and coming back on July 4th. i live right across from the municipal; park though so will be sitting on my parch watching fireworks afterwards LOL/

5. MissyPrissy

MissyPrissy Well-Known Member

We will be here and my mom will be visiting from up north. We are looking forward to attending this for the first time! :)

6. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

i am pretty sure we will be there too with grandkids in tow - will be our first time too but gotta go hear Birdy's band play for sure :D

7. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Traveling here, hoping to at least get some use out of that travel trailer this year before the summer is over!

8. ubergeek

ubergeek Well-Known Member

We'll be here! Debating on whether to go to the show at the Lake Benson park or to Cleveland's. Maybe they will be on different days. Is the Cleveland one going to be on July 4th proper, or on the weekend?

9. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

July Fourth Parade & Festival CELEBRATE CLEVELAND
    Tuesday, July 04, 2006 at 7:30 am - 10:00 PARADE @ 10:00 am

The Celebrate Cleveland Committee and the Greater Cleveland Chamber of Commerce are combining efforts to host the 11th annual July 4th festivities for the Cleveland Area. All activities will take place by the 'OLD SCHOOL' on Cleveland Road across from D.R. Wells Cleveland Emporium, by the Cleveland Ball Fields.

The day will begin at 7:30 am with a pancake breakfast at Oakland Presbyterian Church (until 9:30). Then, the much anticipated PARADE will begin at 10:00 am. The kids will enjoy a fun-filled day at this community event. From 10:30 until 2:00 families can visit vendor booths, enjoy on stage entertainment, & participate in contests and games.

Families are also encouraged to enjoy the free inflatables! From 2:00 until 5:00 community members are encouraged to participate in the pick-up softball games, and children are invited to be a part of the field day activities. The street dance will begin at 6:00 pm. Don't miss the wonderful display of fireworks beginning at 9:00 pm (dusk).

10. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

Can't wait to be out there again this year.

11. kookookacho

kookookacho Well-Known Member

We'll be at the Lake on a long needed vacation! :D

12. ForeverFaithful

ForeverFaithful Well-Known Member

I'll be here at my house probably doing nothing. Hopefully I can talk my husband and kids into cooking out that weekend. Let them do all the work this year. WE usually go up to the fair grounds, but doesn't look like we are going to make it this year. Hope everyone has a great 4th.

13. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

Ubergeek: Lake Benson is on the 3rd, Cleveland's on the 4th.

As far the question about the roadside stands. There are restrictions as to the type they can sell in NC and I think all those stands have to have permits to sell, so they've probably been inspected. And, I agree with you about the danger, even the most harmless ones can still hurt/burn someone!

14. Clif

Clif Guest

Almost everything can hurt someone, if used improperly.

15. Songbrd001

Songbrd001 Well-Known Member

:D YIPPIE!!!! :D

16. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

birdy sings?

17. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

I'll be there . . . we're going to have a float in the parade to promote our vacation bible school that is coming up July 21 - 23. Look for the fat girl on the Grace Baptist Church float and that will be me! :lol:

18. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

You going to have candy to throw out?? :lol:

19. Songbrd001

Songbrd001 Well-Known Member

:idea: :lol: :lol: :lol:

20. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

What time do ya'll start Birdy?