Just sad..

Discussion in 'Cat Dog' started by JenniferK, Jun 26, 2007.

1. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

Just an update....

Someone from heartpetrescue.org brought Mia over yesterday. Although she and Tree seemed to do pretty well together, there just wasn't a connection with Mom. Mom tried, but the little doggie just didn't warm up to her, nor Mom to Mia.

So we're back to square one.

And BTW- Nothing against anyone that does rescue, I think you all are doing a great job, but the red tape involved is why people don't adopt. It's just so much easier to buy a puppy, or pick one up from the shelter. Some of the rescue groups I've been in contact with have just been plain mean and unreasonable.

2. JenniferK

WOOOHOOOOO!!!

I think we've found Mama a dog!

I'll post more later!!!

3. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Oh, YAY!!!!!!!!! Keep us posted!!

4. JenniferK

Y'all are not even going to believe this.

So I called down to Jo Co Animal Services, and got Ernie on the phone. Being as how I used to go there weekly and take pet pics, they all know me. HG had called last week to put a bug in their ear that I was looking for a dog.

I asked him if he had anything and he said he thought so, and he'd call me back. He calls me back and tells me he has a little shih-tzu, who's about 2 or 3 years old, who's matted up and has some sort of eye infection. He said she was super sweet, and that one of the AC officers had been carrying her around in his arms. I said okay, hold onto her, I'll be there shortly.

So I go down there and this poor little doggie is all matted up, but she's friendly, so I said, "I'll take her".

We got in the car, and she's obviously been in the car before because she laid down on the seat, got down in the floor, jumped back up in the seat, and then tried to look out the window. I had to child lock the auto window control because her paw hit it and the window started rolling down. She also found my cup of Dt Pepsi and proceeded to stick her head in the cup as far as she could trying to drink it. She's got a lot of spunk.

I took her straight to Dr. Debbie's office and told them that above all, she needed a bath (she really stinks) and to be shaved, because she is very badly matted. I told them to call me if they found anything else.

Well folks.....this 2-3 year old shih-tzu is not a 2-3 year old shih-tzu, she's at least 7, at least. She has a really bad ear infection, and is blind. BLIND!
    Dr. Debbie says we'll know more about how much she can really see once she's all cleaned up, but what I've got here is a geriatric blind dog, for my geriatric mother, lol.

I was thinking I'd probably have to find a home for her, and was racking my brain about what rescues to call. I mean, who is purposely going to adopt a blind dog?

My mother, lol.

Dad took her to Dr. Debbie's office and brought the little stinky dog to the car and Mom had her mind made up. She says that she doesn't care if she's blind, or that she'll have a $200-$300 vet bill before she ever gets to the house, she's keeping her. I know my Dad is just thrilled, lol.

But.....Mom has a new dog, who wants to sit in your lap and be babied. I guess all's well that ends well, right?
    So there ya have it. Only I could adopt a stinky, blind, geratric dog!

5. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Awww!!! That just melted my heart!!!!

6. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

Me, too, I'm sitting here laughing and crying at the same time.

7. JenniferK

Let's just hope this blind dog can find her way around enough to learn to go potty, or my Dad really is gonna kill me! LOL

8. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Ditto!! That's precious ... fate!!

9. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh man. We had the conversation earlier! :lol: :lol:

10. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

It is just what we would expect from you Jenn!!

11. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Aw, so happy for your Mom - why didn't you tell me when we talked earlier:shock: Anyway, my baby girl is blind too but we love her and she has no problems with it except for bumping into things now and then.

12. Bren

Bren Well-Known Member

We have a blind chicken who doesn't lay eggs.....she's my one of my favorites!! :lol: Yeah, I know O/T but I couldn't resist!!

Brenda

13. peaches

peaches Well-Known Member

Glad you found the perfect dog for your mom. We have an 8 year old cat that we found as a stray kitten, already blind. He's totally my baby, and I'm sure your mom will take that little dog into her heart the same way we adopted my Peanut into ours. By the way, he hears everything! It's absolutely true from my experience that her other senses will be sharper. I hope she falls in love with her, but it sounds like that's already happened!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2007
  14. Animal lover

Animal lover Well-Known Member

Oh Jen! What a wonderful story! So happy for your mother and for the little dog.

And...
    My elderly mother had an old chihuahua with bad cataracts. So she could see somewhat, but Mum couldn't rearrange the furniture for years. Worst thing I remember was Mum and dog visiting at my house, and doggie has to go outside to potty. So I open the door and before I could stop her, little dog walks out on the porch and falls down the stairs. She was fine, but I felt really bad for not protecting her. She lived well into her teens - a tiny lap dog for my old mother.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2007
  15. ready2cmyKing

ready2cmyKing Well-Known Member

Jenn, that is a wonderful story! That little girl would have probably been put down if you had not rescued her. Best of all, your mother now has a dog that truly NEEDS her, which is the best therapy for a broken heart! Congrats girl, you did great!!!!! :-D

16. froggerplus

froggerplus Well-Known Member

Ditto, Ready. Way to keep looking for your mom, Jen :).

Frogger

17. Southernborn

Southernborn Well-Known Member

Jen,

I'm so happy your Mom has found a new companion! :lol: