Kayaking?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Jester, Jun 13, 2010.

1. rntobe

rntobe Well-Known Member

yes, you can rent kayaks at lake johnson. I believe they are the sit on top model. REI rents kayaks that are reasonable. when i was getting into the sport, i rented different models from there. they come with pfd and paddles. Unless you just want to take a class for "flat water"you don't really need one.
    I have been kayaking for several years and love it! As I have traveled i have kayaked in Alaska, Florida, Caribean, Mexico and all up the east coast. I hope you try and like it as much as I have. If you have any questions let me know.

2. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Hey, thanks. I think you've probably directed me to the best (and most convenient) place to give it try. I'd supposed that the kind of kayak they have is ideal for a novice anyway and the Lake Johnson environment is probably perfect to begin with. Have you ever taken lessons or did you just start out slowly and development your skills as you learned?

3. rntobe

rntobe Well-Known Member

i took whitewater lessons and soon discovered it was not for me. I like to meander and explore, white water is exciting and thrilling.

Actually the first time I went seakayaking I was at the beach and took a tour. The guide gave us exactly 5 min of training..this is how you hold the paddle, how to get in/out of the boat, and how to use the paddle. All of this you can teach yourself, especially if you go out to lake johnson..lake crabtree (morrisville) is another place i like to play, they rent boats as well. Of course the rentals at the lakes don't have the best paddles. I have a fiberglass paddle, its lighter.

Rent a boat, play around and have some fun!