Kids lack clothes, books, medicine because Cleveland charity lacks volunteers

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Ron Still, Nov 6, 2009.

1. seabee

seabee Guest

What's cholesterol????? :jester::jester:

2. Betty Crocker Mom

Betty Crocker Mom Well-Known Member

3. Ron Still

Ron Still Well-Known Member

suggestions for volunteers from where?

Betty, Could you make that an angel food cake with white icing? Well, on to subject:

Your suggestions are interesting. Disney promo starts next year and I'll try to get the info to them. The other one already advertises us as one of only 2 opportunities in zip 27529, but we are listed from our Greensboro connection and will refile for RTP. We already work with Triangle Impact.

Since we've been featured on the cover of all local papers and on most TV channels in the area, and on VolunteerMatch and several other sites, is the hope that these outreaches will find someone out of the area who will come in to serve our neighbors? We've already brought teams in from Charlotte and other states, when we failed to get local families to help. These are booked for next year. We need the local community that uses our services and sends folsk to us for help to be the support.

Corporate grants saved us this year, even though we've been troubled by the rent and other monthly biills. We are doing fine with the cast off clothes for those in need, but not in converting that to pay the bills.

4. Ron Still

Yes, we recycle, but we'd rather give $1-2 million in aid a year

We shipped about $2 million worth of clothing to orphans and earthquake and war victims during the last two years, when we had more clothing volunteers and church financial support. Without that volunteer and financial aid, the clothes must be sold for reuse and rags and the community only gains less than $1,800. We could either pay one month's rent or get $45,000 worth of food, but both are far short of the $2 million.

This week we are sending out a 28' truck load of dirty, torn, and simply clothing that overwhelmed our limited volunteers on some days - remember the volunteer shortage. Even shipping 4 trucks a year, hopefully totaling 32,000 pounds, we can't pay one month's rent. We'll get about $1,200-$1,600 a year depending on how well the loads were packed and the rent alone is about $1,800 per month. This is why we depend on public support to stay open. If we had adequate volunteers at the right time of the week, we would resume separating all good clothing for other disaster areas, where the clothing would be worth full retail value to the people in deepest need. Now that we added the library, we lack storage space. The clothing must be sorted and delivered to the Methodist Conference's Goldsboro shipping point weekly.

5. Ron Still

Yes, you would all be welcome to help on Saturday

Are you serious about food? We have fur balls and clothes tossed like Wal-Mart after Christmas, but cookie crumbs and drinks freak out our health inspectors, because of the food we stock. I'll help you eat them, though. We can set a munchies center over in the book sorting and prep area. There's a big work table that could be covered, if someone brought a table clothe or blanket or we may have one. There are folding chairs. As usual with us, no heat. The heat pump has been blowing breakers in the food pantry, so if anyone knows anything about the monster, please take a look.

6. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

No, I was just going to keep them in my car for breaks. I'll probably only make one batch, as they look pretty rich to eat and pricey to make. :)

7. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

i'll come for a couple hours Sat, not sure what time yet but will be there to help out.

8. MamaApe

MamaApe Well-Known Member

DD and I will try to come for a couple of hours this Sat as well :)

9. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

so cool, hope to see some of my 4042 family tomorrow, i am gonna be accompanied by my new daughter by love and hopefully my grandson - see ya there:hurray:

10. #1grandma

#1grandma Well-Known Member

Can't help physically, however, I'd like to know a mailing address so I can send a check.
    Please let me know if anyone knows it. Thank you!!

11. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

http://4042needs.org/

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Come and see[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif] where we do it:5533 NC HWY 42 W, Garner, NC 27529 - Rear Units D96-100
    Telephone - 919-661-6565 [/FONT]

Note the office and mailing address is not the same as the warehouse address.

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Office and Mailing Address: Basic Needs Ministry, 1413 Kenbrook Dr., Garner, NC 27529-4447

[/FONT]

12. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

dang, kds, you left right before i got there and i missed Mafiaman and Seabee too:cry: i brought my new daughter by love and my dgs and was great seeing Cleo again, those cookies were definitely interesting and filling:hurray:

13. KDsGrandma

Sorry I missed you! I stayed as long as I could. Can you say overcommitted? ;)

At least I came home with a turkey tonight. :lol:

14. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

you are ahead of me, i still have to get a turkey and obviously the largest turkey i can find plus 2 breasts to feed 37 people:lol:

15. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

There's something about your dinner menu that really got my attention. I just can't quite put my finger on it.

16. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

seriously lmao on that post:lol::lol::lol::cheers:

17. KDsGrandma

Hey, I haven't seen you at our turkey shoot yet!

18. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

You guys are awesome! Hopefully by the time the next one is planned, I'll be moving a little better and can help!

19. KDsGrandma

Next Saturday's your last chance this year.

20. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

Why? I thought Ron always needed help sorting?

I was there early with Little Bit shopping, must have just missed Cleo. Told Ron I'd stay and volunteer if he could keep Little Bit busy, lol, as locking her in the bookmobile wasn't an option!

Thank you all for helping him out...

Oh, and the cookies.....well.....they were ummm, interesting.....