Kids riding in the front seat.

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by rushlow2004, Mar 24, 2009.

1. shelly3

shelly3 Active Member

Any child under age 12 riding in the front seat is a huge pet peeve of mine. I see it every day when I drop my daughter off at elementary school. Parents think it is okay because it is only a short distance from home to school. I have researched this and children under the age of 12 have a 36% less likely chance of dying in a car accident if they are seated in the back. Motor vehicle accidents are the leading cause of death for kids under the age of 14 and 75% of accidents occur within 25 miles from home. 60% of accidents occur on roads that have a speed limit of 40 mph or less. Also, the type of injuries that occur for kids not in a booster seat can be pretty bad- around the abdominal and chest area if the seat belt does not fit properly, not to mention potential air bag injuries. My 9 year old daughter gets so mad at me but I had the same rule for my teen age son. Just my 2 cents on this topic.

2. bostonredhead

bostonredhead Well-Known Member

That just seems so lax! When I lived in another state (which didn't require seat belt use for adults), the law was that you couldn't sit in the front until you were 13 and had to wear a seat belt until you were 18.

When I was a sub at W. Clayton Elementary, I'd say I saw probably 90% of the kids get into the front seat.

My other pet peeve is the parent who doesn't get off the phone long enough to not only help get the child in the car but also to say hello to the poor kid.