Let's get serious now...

Discussion in 'Cat Dog' started by peppercorns, Oct 28, 2004.

?

Do you think a $5.00 licensing fee for fixed pets in Johnston County is a good idea to raise revenue

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. Maybe

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Not in a Million Years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. peppercorns

peppercorns Well-Known Member

Now that the mysterious Guests can no longer harass us and get our blood pressure up, I want to assure everyone the you are welcome to post whatever you would like as long as you refrain fom being insulting. Everyone of us has different ideas. The only way Habitat for Niko can make a difference is by taking those ideas and making them happen.

We have discussed a few things here and there. The licensing of pets was a curious matter because it seemed to get the attention of supporters and haters. If the county were to charge five bucks a year for every spayed and neutered dog and cat in town and $35.00 for every non-fixed pet do you think that it would help the shelter? All the money would have to go back into the Animal control division. Let's say there are 4000 dogs in the county. 3000 are fixed, (i wish), that makes $15,000 for the shelter - not Habitat for Niko, the shelter. The other 1000 times 35.00 is an additional $35,000. THat is 50,000 bucks more then they had. I think those numbers are low - but that just gives you an idea. I don't know how it would be enforced or if it is possible. That's why I need imput.

We are getting together all our tax and state registrations at the moment that is why things have been a little quieter. We are working on places to have the next meeting. Many of them are making me hungary. We also need fundraising ideas. :D

Does anyone know how that McDonalds thing works were are percentage of the profits go to a specific organization for one night? Some of the schools do that.

2. Sandy Lewis

Sandy Lewis Well-Known Member

Hey Peppercorns, as far as the fees are concerned... when we lived in Wilmington, NC we had to pay an annual fee for having our dogs and cat. I am not even sure where this money went. :roll: If peole have to "register" their animals this may turn them away from even taking them to get their raibees shots every year or 3 years, which is sad. I do think the shelter should raise the cost for adopting a pet from there. I mean seriously if you cant afford it then you probably do not need a pet in the first case. The other thing to is how would anyone know if the pets were or were not fixed? I don't know, I'm sure theres a database somewhere that I just don't know about. As far as fundraising, exactly what are you raising funds for? Is it for the shelter? Or is is a non profit org? I am more than willing to help, as I already am, with the shelter issues and getting the word out to spay/neuter pets and stop breeding at home!!!

3. C_Troy

C_Troy Well-Known Member

It's just my take, but it seems that adding a fee basically amounts to taxation on responsible pet owners. Those that heed the tax and take care of it are basically putting into a fund to take care of the animals that they shouldn't have to be responsible for. It doesn't seem like a very good way to reward those that do take care of their pets.It's great if people want to give but making them isn't the way for the shelter to make friends.

I also dont' care for the reference to "other places" and how they do things. "Other places", if you look into it, I'm sure have just as many problems as we do. Perhaps on different fronts, but nevertheless, just as many problems.

I wouldn't mind seeing more money going to the shelter, but hopefully via a reallocation of funds as opposed to additional funds levied on pet owners and the average Joe. I would think that even though initial opposition would be met, that the commisioners and boards would have to at some point realize that they are responsible for providing an adequate service to all the people of the county. I mean, even if you don't have pets, you would still call the animal control if one infringed on or violated your person or property. As animal control is a county run program, then we're all responsible for its funding, not just those with pets.

4. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

Breeders Fees

I think there are too many breeders in our country, especially those who do it for a quick buck! I won't get on my soapbox! Anyway, my husband and I have discussed if there are any license requirements for breeders? I have no clue, but I have never heard of any. If there is not a license fee for breeders, is that a possible suggestion we could make to the county? This is just an idea/suggestion! Thanks!

Also, I would have no problem paying a fee for each of my babies, but I do understand Sandy's point. People! Grrrrrr!

5. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Why a $5.00 fee for responsible owners who have their pets fixed? Why not a fee for those who do not get their pets fixed?

6. Animal lover

Animal lover Well-Known Member

The same person?

Are peppercorns and Peppercorn the same person?

7. Mark

Mark Active Member

Re: The same person?

Yes.

8. daniellea

daniellea Well-Known Member

I'm a little behind here, sorry...

My question is this: how on earth will they know who is a pet owner/ who is not, and how to tax them (particuarly the owners who don't get their pets regular vet care) ? I just wonder about the logistics of such a thing is all...

9. Animal lover

Finding unlicensed dogs

A week or so after I moved into a small city in Michigan, I found a notice on my front door, telling me that if I did not get my dogs licensed, I would be subject to... My dogs were not licensed at that time and I had not visited a vet in that city. I suspect that someone in city government was going to new residents's homes and looking, listening for dogs. (Don't know about cats as I had none at the time.) Since my dogs were both spayed, the license only cost me $5 each. I don't know what the city did with the money - general fund, most likely.

10. Animal lover

continued

Oh, and I had to take proof of current rabies vaccinations with me to get the license.

11. lottathought

lottathought Active Member

I want to start out by saying that I love animals.
    I take very good care of my animals.

But bottom line is this....
    If there are not enough pro shelter advocates to go out and get donations for the shelter.
    And if these people can not reach into their own pockets deeply enough for a sufficient amount of donations to keep the shelter going, then instead of trying to put yet another tax on me, maybe the shelter should be closed.

12. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

??

Hey guys! Are we stalled?? What's going on! Peppercorn, you gave me your phone # the day of the meeting, but I can't seem to find it! I'll try to hunt it down!