Litter in Johnston County

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by pcroom, Feb 22, 2018.

1. pcroom

pcroom Well-Known Member

The litter in Johnston County is getting worse. I've never seen so much trash on sides of the roads. Cops and Highway Patrol need to issue tickets. We need to make our county beautiful. There has got to be a solution??

DWK, Sherry A., Auxie and 1 other person like this.
  2. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Start writing companies who have a presence near those roads and see if they will adopt a highway. It is fairly difficult to do as an informal group or neighborhood due to the safety concerns and agreement required by NCDOT. See if they will share in the burden of keeping their community clean.

Link to NCDOT adopt a highway program: https://www.ncdot.gov/programs/AAH/

Example of a third party adopt a highway contractor that companies can use: https://adoptahighway.net/

Sherry A. likes this.
  3. lgb0250

lgb0250 Well-Known Member

When we first moved off of Josephine and saw all of the litter the first thing that crossed my mind was how and the heck could all this be caused by people traveling this small country rd. Then one day I was behind a Waste Mgmt truck that must have been full because all the way down Josephine that trash just kept blowing out. I was finally able to stop him in a subdivision and ask him why the top was not closed and all he would say is that it is their policy and if I had a problem to call the company. When I did that all I did was get put on endless hold. I eventually just hung up.

Something needs to be done about the laws on this and if there are laws covering it they need to be enforced. As a citizen I’m not against the adopt a highway program and would gladly help if it was just rude people throwing crap out of their vehicles but I don’t think we should be responsible for cleaning up after companies that litter our roads due to internal policies!

Auxie and Hught like this.
  4. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

QFT, they need prosecution for littering. You are correct. I also believe the major problem is trash trucks.

Auxie likes this.
  5. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

A friend of mine used to grow cotton on the farm on Glen Road. They quit renting the land because of Fool Lion bags. If theres any plastic in cotton it gets rejected.

Hught likes this.
  6. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter Well-Known Member

This is what happens when yankees show up.

7. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

We like clean roads, just litter your own property.

8. lgb0250

lgb0250 Well-Known Member

I’m really happy to know that no true southerners took part in this! That just couldn’t happen could it?

Hught likes this.
  9. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

If Johnston County were to contract with a single trash company or multiple companies and consolidate routes it might help by making routes and trucks more efficient. I suppose this could reduce the amount of time and distance traveled by any one truck.

10. poppin cork

That sounds good Harvery until you think it through. The customer contracts his trash pick up. Without competition there is no hope of price competition.

Auxie and Hught like this.
  11. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

They'd cut off their nose to spite their face.

Hught likes this.
  12. Auxie

Auxie Well-Known Member

Most people that I hear complaining about YANKEEs are from New York.:)

lgb0250, Hught and Rockyv58 like this.
  13. cynadon

Easy there DWK. Slow down mmkay. Crank is bad.

14. roygolf

roygolf Well-Known Member

As a resident of Johnston County since 1991 and a homeowner off Cornwallis, I can attest to the piggish behavior of persons driving up and down the highways of Johnston County. I have been working in NY for the last two years while maintaining my residence in the 40/42 area and can state unequivocally that the road litter here in upstate NY is much much less than that back in NC. I was just back in Johnston County two weeks ago and was disgusted to see the amount of trash along Cornwallis and 42. WTF is wrong with all you litterbugs. Piggish behavior is not due to being yankee, redneck or whatever. Sorry people are just sorry people and those who continue to trash our roads are just that.............Sorry people.

Auxie, DWK, Hught and 1 other person like this.
  15. poppin cork

I know folks (individuals) litter but I still believe the bigger problem is the trash pickup services. You can't throw out enough to litter a dang half mile stretch with 3 pieces per foot, normally.

lgb0250 likes this.
  16. cynadon

I was just laughing at the paragraph length sentences. Not to mention arguing with the one poster that could screw up a single car funeral procession.

Wayne Stollings and poppin cork like this.
  17. Auxie

Auxie Well-Known Member

Stop and pick some of it up, instead of all the complaining.
    Why not pick-up a piece of trash for each word that you enter in this Group?

cynadon likes this.
  18. poppin cork

I don't know, but since you haven't seen it, it couldn't have happened. Carry on.

19. cynadon

I've got nearly a mile of road frontage. We pick up the trash almost weekly.

#1 fast food sacks / mostly with the leftovers
    #2 soda bottles / cans
    #3 beer
    #4 trash bags - we do look thru for names/addresses
    #5 trash and jugs that randomly blow out of a pickup. gallon and 2.5 gallon cans will float out the back of a pickup

Rockyv58 and Auxie like this.
  20. cynadon

If you’re talking to me, Its true. I do love me some loooong, jam packed, sentences! Lol

My 9th grade teacher thought the only way to teach grammar was diagramming sentences. Your stuff would look like lunar landing eqations.

Auxie and Rockyv58 like this.