Local public library needs?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by mordorboy, Jan 24, 2006.

?

Would you support a local public library in the 40/42 area?

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Undecided

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. mordorboy

mordorboy Well-Known Member

As wide-spread as our community is, I realize some of us to Smithfield, others to Benson, and some to Clayton to get their library needs met.

I have spoken with the County Manager about the need for a public library branch in the 40/42 area and he sees merit in the idea. My next steps are to pursue the question with the County Library system.

I am interested in whether or not our locals would support a new branch. Or would we still go to the branch we do today since we are familiar with that?

Thoughts, ideas, comments?

2. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

This is a definite need especially with soon to be 5 elementary, 2 middles and a high school in this area (plus JCC Cleveland).The old Cleveland School would have been a great location for a library.

While you are talking with them ... how about asking they update their ancient computer system so we can access the catalog on-line?! Wake libraries are far superior in this area and worth the $25 a year to access materials through the library in Garner.

3. Beezor

Beezor Well-Known Member

They are actually in the process of updating their systems now, from what I hear.

4. ssmm

ssmm Well-Known Member

Yes, we are in the process of updating our catalog and circulation systems. It's quite expensive (well over $100,000 just for the software) so it has been a long process (grant money, support from the state library, etc.).

What you may not be aware of, though, is that all the libraries in the county are actually independently run by their own towns. The one in Smithfield is financially supported by the town of Smithfield and the county, however. So each library is not a "branch" but an affiliate, meaning we share some services but are run and governed by our individual towns.

I know there is a need in the 40/42 area... but it may have to get started like all the other libraries: with residents raising money :) Or then again, maybe the county will financially support it. (But for the record, they support the library in Smithfield less and less each year...)

5. froggerplus

froggerplus Well-Known Member

Wonder if this is something one of our civic groups can champion to the county?

6. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

I will NOT support a library until they get the freaking pot holes fixed around here!!! :twisted: :twisted:

7. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

You might also look at working with the Clayton Library, they could possibly help in setting something up and they might be able to start off the book collection (Just donated 10 cases of books ourselves). If you put it a little closer to where the 70 Bypass crosses 42 they might even be more interested.

8. ubergeek

ubergeek Well-Known Member

HG, I thought the state paid for roads. Does the county have to pay for them, too?

Counties/municipalities pay for libraries. I would support one, wholeheartedly. Wake does so much more for parks, recreation and libraries than Johnston. I love living here a lot better, but I miss the parks and libraries a BUNCH.

9. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

I don't know, just bitching about my rim being bent on my car due to the largest crater in the earth today :evil: :evil: :evil:

10. ubergeek

ubergeek Well-Known Member

That stinks! That is an expensive stupid hole.

You should see the gaping holes the folks building the new CVS at 210/50 have made in the middle school's driveway! How come they don't have to fix that?

11. mordorboy

ssmm,

Thanks for the tip. I forgot about the funding situation, but I remember the Selma library used to be managed by the Parks and Rec dept (might still be)

Their P&R director lives here in our community, so he would be a great resource. I'll contact him also.

12. mordorboy

ssmm,

Thanks for the tip. I forgot about the funding situation, but I remember the Selma library used to be managed by the Parks and Rec dept (might still be)

Their P&R director lives here in our community, so he would be a great resource. I'll contact him also.

13. ssmm

ssmm Well-Known Member

mordorboy,
    Actually, your neighbor doesn't direct the Selma library any more. It is its own department now. Good thought you had of contacting him, but he was relieved of the stress! I'm actually the one who has the headaches now, which is why I have the skinny on what's going on most days :) (jc would probably be an advocate of working for another library at 40/42, however!)