Looking for Dads to form Y-Guides Daughter Tribe in Clayton Area

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Steve Dimoff, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Steve Dimoff

Steve Dimoff New Member

Hello,

If you weren't aware, the YMCA has a program called the Y-Guides (Formerly known as Indian Princesses) - When your son/daughter hits the first grade they can join the program. In the past, the YMCA had held meetings for registration/new tribes in Clayton at the Rainbow Lanes... However it doesn't seem like the participation from our area has made it worth while for them and they are no longer holding events out here.

I did this program with my oldest daughter and we both loved it. It's been almost 3 years and she'll still brings up things that we did. My youngest daughter just went into first grade and I called the YMCA and was told there are no tribes currently out here for dads & daughters. I'm looking to form a tribe, I have one other person in the Clayton are interested and we need at least 4 dads/daughters.

If this is something you'd like to do, please contact me ASAP so we can get one formed and get started on events.

Thank you!

Did I forget to mention the spring outing? It's at Arapahoe,NC -- There alone you will get to do Zip lines, BB guns, archery, hiking, swimming, fossil digging and much more.

And during our local events we do things like (just to name a few off the top of my head... ) go to Carolina Hurricanes games, make donuts at Krispy Cremes, build your own burrito at Moe's, State Fair, Camping, Clayton Christmas parade, Clayton Fear Farm Maze, Park cleanup, Kite Day and Polar ice swim... And all of these you get patches for, so you can put on your vest (each of you) --- that way you can always remember the things you did, together.

We need your help to make a local tribe happen, otherwise we will have to go join one in Raleigh (which isn't bad, just long drive.. and missing out on meeting local dads and the girls making new local friends...)

ABOUT Y GUIDES
    The YMCA of the Triangle Y Guides program focuses on strengthening the father-child relationship through one-on-one activities. It’s through these shared experiences that fathers and their children grow closer and form memories that last a lifetime.

WHO PARTICIPATES?
    Y Guides is for dads and their children in rising first through third grade. The participants form tribes with others in their community. These tribes are normally composed of seven to nine father/ child pairs and meet twice a month.

WHAT WILL WE DO?
    The Y Guides program is action-oriented! Tribes meet twice a month. One meeting is in a member's home with fun activities such as games, crafts and stories. The other meeting allows tribes to organize monthly outings such as camping, community service projects, hiking, cookouts and much more! Children receive feather awards and patches for their accomplishments.

SPECIAL Y GUIDES EVENTS
    In addition to the regular activities, all Y Guides tribes can participate in various larger events throughout the year. Nation events include a Fall Outing at Camp Kanata in Wake Forest, Winter Inning at DPAC, Polar Bear swims at local YMCAs, Kite Day, and local Park Clean-up Day. And, you won't want to miss the Spring Outing weekend at Camp Sea Gull and Seafarer in Arapahoe, NC. There will be archery, riflery, zipline, searching for sharks teeth, scavenger hunts, swimming, a fun evening campfire with songs, ghost stories and other exciting surprises! Check out ourevents page to see what our calendar looks like for the upcoming year!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  2. nomad

nomad Member

This really is a great program, and my daughter and I had a great time doing it as well. I highly recommend it.

Steve Dimoff likes this.
  3. NJ2NC

NJ2NC Well-Known Member

Hats off to the Dads! We need more of this today.

Wayne Stollings and Steve Dimoff like this.
  4. Steve Dimoff

Steve Dimoff New Member

Thank you!

Wayne Stollings and Hught like this.