losing data to monitor

Discussion in 'PC Help Desk' started by Rockyv58, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I have a Dell XPS with a Nvidia Geforce 8600. I have run the system under Windows 7 (32bit) and for the last year Windows 7 (64bit). The problem I am having has happened under both. Periodically the pc is running but it loses data to the monitor. I have gone and disabled and even gone and removed the driver. It seems to fix it for a while but it still loses the data stream to the monitor. I think the last time I had the case open I checked to see that the card is firmly in. But its been a while and I am not sure about it.

Any thoughts why the pc would run but data stops going to the monitor? I have run antivirus software and found nothing.

Thanks

bob V

2. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

Sounds like a heat problem on the video card. Check the fan on the video card? Blow out the fan ports. See what happens.

Rockyv58 likes this.
  3. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Thanks. Next time it happens I will give it a try. While you are here (sort of speak) do you know where I could get 4 (2GB) dual-channel 667 & 800MHz DDR2 chips relatively cheap. I figure if I have to open up the case I might as well upgrade from 4GB to the max 8GB. Also when the PC is working I seem not to be able to use the Nvidia Geforce 8600 drivers anyway. I have to use the generic drivers

4. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

You now are getting into the hourly rate territory.

Rockyv58 likes this.
  5. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

cheap? You want cheap? You get what you pay for my friend.

Rockyv58 likes this.