Lucky Chicken

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Tweetyluvzme, Nov 21, 2008.

1. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

I tried Lucky Chicken for lunch today. As I said in a previous post the chicken on my plate would not be very "lucky".
    The chicken was good and very tender. The side of hot sauce is XXX. Too hot! The fries were good. As previously posted the salad was "blah" with just vinegar and lemon juice dressing. Quarter chicken with a bottled water was $8.29. That included tax. Not gratuity. Server was very friendly and checked back often. As someone previously posted the restaurant is small with no atmosphere. 1 table with 6 chairs and about 6 booths. Sanitation grade was 98. I probably will return but will ask if they have any other salad dressing?

2. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

I know I'm a tight-arse, but $8.00 +tip for a 1/4 chicken is not reasonable to me, not for lunch, anyway. At least once a week I can find a church, Fre Dept, Am. Legion, or some other civic organization to serve me 1/2 chicken with sides and beverage for $6-$7 bucks. A lot of time you get a little dessert thrown in, too. Plus helping out a worthy cause.

Other than that, I can always head down to Food Town, pick up a bird, take it home, stick a beer can up its butt, and throw it on the grill for a helluvalot less. Being the tight-arse that I am, I always drink the beer and put water back in the can before cooking. Steam is steam....No since in wasting a perfectly good beer!!!

'Course that's just me, being the tight-arse that I am !!! 8)

3. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Or for $6.99 you can get a whole rotisserie chicken from Lowes Foods and theirs are pretty good!

4. gcoats3

LOL Problem is then you don't have beer flavored grilled chicken. But I guess if you have beer with dinner, then you do have beer flavored chicken.

5. dgsatman

My wife tried to tell me she could taste the difference between water and beer in the can....she couldn't!!! Sorta like all those folks that boil their shrimp in beer... to me, just a waste of a perfectly good beer!!!

6. 3BabyBears

3BabyBears Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2009
  7. gcoats3

I'll have one of those :cheers:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  8. dgsatman

I believe I was misquoted..... I did graduate from Clayton High and do Know the difference between a whole and a hole! :) .... but while we're on the subject, I'll take 2, and I ain't tellin' what happened to the Thanksgiving turkey!!! :jester:

9. PoohBear

PoohBear Well-Known Member

Lucky Chicken moving

There is a sign over the entrance to the former Clayton Steak House and several seafood restaurants indicating "Lucky Chicken". Just down the street from the current location of Lucky Chicken. Current location only has about 4 tables but received a very good review from Greg Cox, N&O food critic.
    New location will be much larger.

10. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

the lomo saltado RAWKS

11. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

The Clayton Steakhouse closed?

12. dgsatman

PoohBear meant where Main Steak used to be, and Pier 31 , and one or two more. Acros the street from Clayton Steak House. Noticed the sign today.

That's gonna be a big jump up for the Lucky Chicken.

13. PoohBear

PoohBear Well-Known Member

Yes, the old Main Steak location. Sorry! Don't get to downtown very often.

14. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

That makes sense, thanks. Now I just need to go back and read this thread to see what Lucky Chicken is.... I'm guessing a Chinese Restaurant?

15. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

Ok ,I see now that it's Peruvian. My only experience with Peruvian food was last weekend at Mami Nora's on Wake Forest Rd in Raleigh. It's didn't really trip my trigger.
    As far as rotisserie chicken it was OK, but not something Iwould go out of my way for. I miss Kenny Rodgers Roasters.

16. dangerboy

It sure does!

It is their signature dish. The rotisserie chicken is fine but the lomo saltado is the dish to get!!!! YUMMMMM! Personally I would tell them to leave off the cilantro as they can be heavy handed. I hate cilantro anyway.

Here is the description from the menu :
    Lomo Saltado
    Lean strips of beef sauteed with sliced onions, tomatoes served with French fries and rice

Yes, rice and fries. dont question it. Just go with it. And get them to give you several different sauces to try with it. You can order in or take out.
    It's to die (and go to heaven) for! And I would recommend to tell them to go light on the cilantro or better yet leave it off all together.\

http://luckychicken.totalh.com/menu.php

They are moving from their small location to just a few blocks down.

DB, lets go this weekend!!!!

DB's wife

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  17. mom2two

mom2two Well-Known Member

The Lucky Chicken is very good. Staff is very nice and friendly also. My kids love going and getting the Inca Kola to drink.

18. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

Just went there for lunch and got that Lomo Saltado to go. Oh man is it off the hook. The green sauce is perfect. Really nothing to do the dish but man is it good.

19. dangerboy

told ya!

db's wife

20. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Just got back from having the "Lucky Chicken 2", food is still fantastic and the new digs are much nicer! :drool: