Missing Kitty

Discussion in 'Cat Dog' started by JenniferK, Aug 26, 2009.

1. VivianS

VivianS Well-Known Member

JCAPL's policy is a for a refund the animal has to be returned withing 7 days, after that there is no refund but the animal can still be returned. We will want to know if the cat is up to date on shots and vet care and if she is good with kids, etc. It is also helpful if you remember the name of the cat before adoption if you changed it, and if you tell us what Vet you use so we can get medical records for her. You can bring her to PetSmart Saturday between 12-4 to surrender her.

2. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

I didn't change her name when we got her. We actually got her from the Petsmart adoption area.

I'm just heartbroken about all this. I don't want to be blacklisted either. I've done a lot with the JCAPL, and I don't want to be deemed a "bad adopter".

Animal Lover is who fostered her. Wonder if she would like to adopt her?

Oh Animal Lover? :)

3. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

AnimalLover is awesome! The rescue organization that we adopted our oldest boy from REQUIRES that he be brought back there if something happens. I love Forever Friends out of Greensboro! :hurray: They even want to know (in like 80 years) when Pres passes away. I don't see where this would give you a bad name. It seems as if you are trying to do whats in the best interest of the kitty. Good luck, girl.

4. peaches

peaches Well-Known Member

I'm sorry about this, but so happy that she came back. Seems like there is rarely a happy ending when an inside cat gets out. I wish I could take her. She is beautiful. I absolutely can't. My grumpy old men would have a stroke, and the newest princess would have a literal hissy fit.

Here's to hoping for the best!

5. VivianS

You won't be deemed a bad adopter! Sometimes things just don't work out, it's certainly understandable. It happens often, usually more with people who don't make an effort with the dog they adopt to train the animal, but in your case, it's clear you tried your best, and are wanting to do what's best for the cat. Don't beat yourself up about it! At least you are making sure the cat will be taken care of and not just abandoning her! It will work out in the end!

6. JenniferK

So I can literally just bring her to PetSmart on Saturday between 12-4, and you guys will re-foster and then re-adopt her? She's not going to be put down?

She's so skinny, from being gone for almost two months....and I've been putting food out twice a day. She's eating, but she's still skinny....

I'm telling you.....this breaks my heart....

7. VivianS

I spoke to our 'cat lady' Becky and that's what she said. :) If you would like to talk to Becky directly I can pm you her contact info.

8. JenniferK

Please do.

9. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

We were told a few years ago that any cat adopted through JCAPL must be an indoor pet only. Has this changed? My only concern is that whoever adopts her may have the same issue of her trying to slip out the door since she wants to be both indoors and outdoors. Do you have a garage? If so, maybe you could put in a pet door and that can be her "indoors" where her food, water and bedding is kept but then she can also roam outside if she wants. That's our setup with our two cats and they love it. They were both spayed and don't usually wander outside of our yard much (and we are not near a busy road). They know where "home" is in our garage and are very content with that set up.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  10. JCoRes

JCoRes Well-Known Member

I would think this would be the ideal perfect

scenario for any animal. I know they don't want anyone to declaw cats & that's part of the agreement but highly unlikely anyone will come hunt down to see if cat is outside.

Just outdoor cats have more medical issue tendencies (kidney stones being one for some reason) and if ppl don't keep vetting up to date then the can catch the feline leukimia and all that mess....

11. Vinalexnc

Vinalexnc Well-Known Member

JenniferK,

Do you have a garage? If so, what I have done for an out cat that I rescue several years ago is put a cat door in the large overhead garage door and he can come and go as he pleases from inside our detached garage. This way he gets out of the weather when he wants. I do have a heated work area which he loves during the winter.

Just another option

12. JenniferK

Those are good suggestions. I'm not sure what's involved in putting a cat door in the garage door though? Doesn't that mean that other critters could come and go as they please as well?

I've emailed the cat lady this morning, so I'll wait and see what she says.

I went back to JCAPL's website and read the adoption agreement and it does say she should be returned to them if I can't keep her, but I am also concerned that they might re-adopter her out to some unsuspecting adopter that will have the same problem.

I really wish I could find someone with a barn and a few other kitties where she could go live....

13. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Really, a barn sounds like the best solution. And I agree - the next adopter is going to have the same issue. Cats, once they get a taste of the outdoors, want to go outdoors! It's their natural habitat. That always bugged me about adopting through places that have the contracts like that, you don't know if the cat was indoor/outdoor or even feral before - so how can you say "Oh, I promise this cat will not go outdoors". If a cat wants to get out, it will get out.

14. sassymom

sassymom Well-Known Member

15. peaches

peaches Well-Known Member

We have had pet doors for years, and have never had a problem with animals other than our own coming and going, and we live in the country. Same story as suggested - food and litterbox in garage and everything. The thing we do have are "gifts" from the kitties. You know, mice, frogs, lizards, etc.

16. ncfemme

ncfemme Well-Known Member

it is a violation if Johnston County Ordinance to allow a cat or any pet to run loose. FYI A barn is not the best option. Cats and all pets need to be kept inside and protected, loved and socialized. Contact Becky from JCAPL and return the cat to them. I am sure that someone will adopt him/her who is willing to keep her inside and love her.

Sec. 4-9. Stray animals off-premises and not under direct control.
    It shall be unlawful for any person maintaining an animal in the county to permit or negligently allow that animal to be off the animal owner's premises and outside the direct control of that person. Direct control shall mean secured or contained by a leash, chain, rope, thong, cage or container, or by other means of restraint and in the custody of the person maintaining such animal, or other person who has assumed control of the animal. An owner may lawfully permit an animal which is not dangerous to be at large in the course of a show, obedience school, tracking tests, field training, or other events sanctioned or supervised by a recognized organization. Hunting dogs may be at large in the course of hunting if under the control of the owner. However, this provision does not exempt an owner from otherwise complying with the provisions of this chapter.
    (Ord. of 5-8-2000(1), ยง 7)

17. JenniferK

It is not about being willing to keep the cat inside. If a cat wants to get out, a cat will get out.

And I seriously doubt that Ernie has the desire to chase me down because I gave my cat to someone with a farm and a horse barn....

If he does, tell him to call me....we'll catch up and have lunch, and he can take the cat home with him....

18. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

I've yet to see a thong big enough to control an animal. Oh wait, I'm thinking of the wrong kind of thongs. :jester:

19. Vinalexnc

Vinalexnc Well-Known Member

Look out the pet police will get you !!

Probably thinks it better to euthanize a stray outdoor cat then give it a good safe 'outdoor' home. Mine is well cared for goes to the Vet for regular appts just like my indoor cats and he is neutered just like he should be.

20. JenniferK

It's not a stray. It's our pet, who ran away from home and has decided she'd rather live outdoors with indoor visits, or vice versa.