NC DOT Picks Orange Route for NC 540

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by jesse82nc, Feb 3, 2016.

1. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

Hught likes this.
  2. jesse82nc

upload_2016-2-3_12-6-4.png

Rockyv58 likes this.
  3. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

It looks like where it hits I-40 is where the 70 bypass hits I-40. Is there a more detailed picture of how the two exchanges will work?
    Thanks

4. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

Yes. I like the Orange route!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Thank you Jesse for all the valuable information you provide this community!

Although I now live in Sampson County I still have property in the 4042 area.

Auxie, Wayne Stollings and Rockyv58 like this.
  6. ricks99

ricks99 Well-Known Member

Here: https://xfer.services.ncdot.gov/PDEA/Web/Complete540/maps/C540_6A_PHM.pdf and https://xfer.services.ncdot.gov/PDEA/Web/Complete540/maps/C540_6B_PHM.pdf

Overall, this project is too little, too late. Construction on the first segment wont begin until 2017/18. It will be at least a decade before completion... and the whole thing will be tolled. Only the money folks in North Raleigh get to drive their section of 540 for free. I'd much rather see improvements made on the arterial roads

7. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

That interchange is already a bottleneck. Can't imagine what a nightmare it will become now.

8. jesse82nc

I believe they will make significant improvements to that interchange once completed.

Also I-40 is still scheduled to be widened from 42 to 440.

A little hard to follow, but I grabbed it from the PDF they had:
    540-40-70.JPG
    upload_2016-2-3_13-45-27.png

9. jesse82nc

One thing I noticed is that the new highway goes right through that new building they built for the pond management company on Cornwallis/White Oak Rd.
    upload_2016-2-3_13-53-55.png

10. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Now if the DOT will get off the dime and start.

Rockyv58 and jesse82nc like this.
  11. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

Only if they had originally tolled the northern section say from Rt 1 or 401 on to 70. The rest of it could've been finished by now.

jesse82nc likes this.
  12. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

13. jesse82nc

Maybe they should have done some research before spending all that money on building a new office there.
    540.JPG

14. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

Who knows? They may have made a good investment and may triple their money.:D

cynadon likes this.
  15. Bluewillow

Bluewillow Well-Known Member

So, the proposed route is going to be closer to the Wake/Johnston county line on White Oak/Cornwallis? I can't really tell by the map. Thanks, Jesse for the info!

16. jesse82nc

The new interchange at White Oak/Cornwallis is right where the Pond Management Company is today. The road will be entirely in Wake County, just north of the county line. The large black dashed line at the bottom of the map is the JoCo/Wake line.

540-2.JPG

17. jesse82nc

markfnc likes this.
  18. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

This impacts more families than the CSX project and impacts a farm too ..... I wonder if there will be the same outrage if eminent domain is required.

Auxie, Rockyv58 and Hught like this.
  19. Auxie

Auxie Well-Known Member

When the construction, and then the Toll, starts I wonder how many people will start doing more shopping in Fuquay. We do most of our grocery shopping there now because the stores are so near to each other, not scattered all over like in Garner.

20. jesse82nc

I will go out to Fuquay for dinner more often and probably some shopping, and to visit family in Holly Springs more often. Also I will definitely take it every day to and from work. Being 70 mph (maybe 75 is they ever pass the proposed changes - http://www.wcti12.com/news/-nc-house-defeats-75-mph-speed-limit-study/20756854), and a brand new 6 lane highway (I40 will be 8 lanes!), it will be one of the nicest roads in the Triangle to drive on. But sadly it will probably be 2020-2022 before the road gets close to I40/US70.