Need some opinions about a puppy

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by AnnetteL, Jun 15, 2010.

1. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

She's going to be ten weeks old this weekend and was the only one left in the litter,the parents looked alright.
    I talked to another breeder which breeds standards and she told me that her dogs get a bit of the runny stuff in their eyes as well from time to time.
    I can't have her checked prior to bringing her home but will do so right away after.
    I guess you must have been just too much to handle for your little doxie ;)

2. irishluck

irishluck Well-Known Member

There's a time for adopting and there's a time for buying from breeders.

Just because she's born with no defects doesn't mean she wont *develop* problems later on. Since you said you had a dachs before, I'm sure you know about their tendencies for spinal and eye problems.
    Not to sounds rude, but its very hard to tell if she's healthy with a picture. An exam would be best.

3. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Well, as most know, the purer-bred dogs often are the ones most suceptible to lineage health problems. Heck, our dog's eyes get gunk build-up rather easily...a mixture of bassett genetics and allergies. Although more serious eye disease can run in bassetts, I'm almost for certain his main problem is allergies. I would think that even little puppies can have allergies. Perhaps the little dashchund has them, too.

4. AnnetteL

Yes it could very well be allergies,our other wirehair dachshund had them too and so does my husband ;)

5. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

When buying a puppy have an agreement that you will have him cheked by your Vet within 3-5 days (specify the number of days on the bill of sale) and have owner sign to this agreement. Any reputable seller of puppies will allow you to do this. Otherwise buy from someone else.

6. ginger1989

ginger1989 Well-Known Member

If you decide not to take the puppy I got my doxie from Dachshund rescue. Really good experience, GREAT dog. I would LOVE to have a wire-haired, but took the dog that found us :)
    www.drna.org
    Good Luck!!!!

7. AnnetteL

Thanks!

8. AnnetteL

Thanks!