Network glitch

Discussion in 'PC Help Desk' started by chuck, May 3, 2005.

1. David

David Well-Known Member

Turn off the Windows XP one.

2. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member

Hmmm, I'm sensing that you guys don't like the XP firewall. :)

I've never had any computer problems (with this computer) before now, so I've never thought about the need for another firewall. I'll try that tonight.

3. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

I never really liked Zone Alarm but I thought I'd give the version 5.5 free a try. Not bad!!!!!!! Feature for feature it outweighs all the other free ones I've tried. The advanced features arent that advanced but what do expect for free.

Thanks for the lead Devilock!

Here's a link if you need one:
    http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,7228,00.asp

4. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

I'll say it ....... "DUMP XP"!!!!!!! lol

If you "have" to run MS I always suggest Win2K pro. The bugs are clearly gone from it.

Never tried Linux before either, from what I've read I always thought it was to user intensive when setting up hardware. Almost a 180 flip from MS O/S. I may take one of those old hulls I have laying around and load a copy. Is it still free? The other problem I have with it is I always mispell it with the "u" first LUNIX!!!

5. space_cowboy

space_cowboy Well-Known Member

yeah id reinstall it chuck. sw is always a pita to troubleshoot. i use outpost firewall as it doesnt seem as much of a resource hog as zonealarm. of course this is behind a hw firewall so it doesnt really matter what i run as long as i keep my ports in check.