New Circle K (NC 42/Old Drug Store Rd)

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by markfnc, Feb 19, 2020.

1. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

I see on my Construction bid site (pay site so I cant link) that a Circle K is coming to NC 42/Old Drug Store Rd. Bids March 26, Start Construction Mid April.

The work going on next to Auto Zone already under construction is the Firestone Auto Care place. This must be going in the wooded area across Old Drug Store from Auto Zone.

Smithers likes this.
  2. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

Appreciate the update. Thank you.

3. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member

Is this on the southeast corner? They're clearing trees there right now.

4. markfnc

yes, for the Circle K. The firestone place is doing foundations already, next to (west of) Auto Zone.

Smithers likes this.
  5. Smithers

@markfnc, two different people on Nextdoor said something about a Popeye's going in somewhere in this immediate area ("next to the Auto Zone"), but they're sparse on details. Are you aware of anything like that?

6. markfnc

I had not seen anything on Popeyes for our area. Just the 2 circle K's (Old drug Store & 42 s 'east corner) Cleveland School Rd & NC 50. Then the Firestone Auto Center (Old Drug Store & 42 west of auto zone) . Ill check around a few estimating site for that today.

7. Smithers

OK, thanks. The posts I saw had a "heard from a friend of a friend of a clerk next door" vibe, so I was suspect already.

8. markfnc

I checked 3 estimating sites, none have any popeyes near here.

Smithers likes this.
  9. bulldawg

bulldawg Well-Known Member

I see the construction for the new Firestone store (circled in red) as well as getting the spot ready for the Circle K gas station circled in blue section but it seems like they are clearing a lot of land for Circle K. Is there something else going to be built in the blue section?

Construction.JPG

10. Stinger2019

Stinger2019 Well-Known Member

I thought they were finally starting construction of the new Six Flags

Smithers likes this.
  11. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

Why do we need another gas station there? Didn't they learn by what happened to the Exxon? And now the Speedway as well?

We had 7 gas stations near 40/42 if you include Murphy. Not to mention the Sheetz at 42 and Cornwallis and 42 and 50.

1 closed a couple years ago and they tore it down. Now the Speedway closed a few weeks back.

So now it's a good time to add another gas station?

12. Smithers

Why did you put an "X" over the building (the old Carolina Gear and Engine building)? It's part of the property. I assume the building isn't being used anymore, because it's currently not accessible without a 4x4 truck or a tractor.

The property is owned by "TRIPLE B #29 ODS". That doesn't immediately mean anything, but it's interesting that directly across the street is Triple Barrel Tavern. And isn't the Triple Barrel Tavern building supposed to be removed when NC 42 is revamped from the interstate to Cleveland Rd?

Back to TRIPLE B #29: The owner address is 530 Greenville Blvd Suite 200 in Greenville, NC. Go there on Google Maps and it's a strip mall anchored by an Old Navy. Google Maps says there's a "Triple B #2" at this location, which is a takeout restaurant, but the street view doesn't show anything like that at this location. Weird.

So, I don't know what some of that mystery means, but I'm going to hazard a guess that the property will consist of a Circle K *and* Triple Barrel Tavern?

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  13. markfnc

Makes sense sine that area being graded is much larger than needed for the gas station. Which was mentioned above, I think.

14. Smithers

The one building that's been built so far (that backs up to Security Self Storage) is going to be Fresnius Kidney Care. I stopped by and went through the paperwork in the inspector's box.

Oh, and regarding my earlier theory about TRIPLE B: I've figured out they are probably just a shopping center or realty management company. The fact they're building across the street from Triple Barrel Tavern just seems to be a coincidence, as far as I can tell.

markfnc likes this.
  15. jesse82nc

Triple Barrel closed several months back just FYI, the building is going to be torn down either later this year or early next year.

16. Smithers

Someone said in a Nextdoor post that a Biscuitville was going to be being built here, as well. Can anyone confirm/deny?

markfnc likes this.
  17. jesse82nc

I haven't seen anything that would confirm that yet.

Smithers likes this.
  18. markfnc

Looks like the Circle K is close to opening. Maybe some cheaper gas for a week or 2.

Smithers likes this.
  19. Smithers

Circle K is open this morning. $2.25 for gas, if I remember correctly. So much for a gas war.

It's interesting that Fresnius Kidney Care, even though it was started first and was almost complete before the Circle K started construction, is still not open.

20. Smithers

Does a private road that's only a few hundred feet long *really* need an East and West designator? :rolleyes:

upload_2021-1-28_10-18-51.png