New Development Activity in the area

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by jesse82nc, Aug 14, 2020.

1. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

https://craftenfood.com/in/clayton/

I thought I had previously posted, but maybe not. It's the same company that has one in Knightdale under construction.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/3...!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d35.6438059!4d-78.4203159

2. jesse82nc

Ramblewood Village Conditional Zoning w/Master Plan, 2021-90-CZM
    [​IMG]

Proposal: Request to rezone three parcels from R-E & B-3 to Conditional Zoning-Residential (CZ-R). Master plan proposes single family detached lots. The proposed neighborhood would be served by a combination of public and private streets with rear private alleys. Proposed density of 8 units per acre of residential development.
    Parcel: 05G01026A, 05G01199R, 05G01199C
    Applicant: Bass, Nixon, & Kennedy, Inc.
    Project Planner: Ben Paynter, Planner, 919-359-9350
    Status: Site Plan in staff review. Town Council decision TBD.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/3...!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d35.6718719!4d-78.5046842

3. jesse82nc

Clayton Center Village Conditional Zoning w/Master Plan, 2021-62-CZM
    [​IMG]

Proposal: Request to rezone parcel from B-3 and R-E to all B-3 district for future multi-family and commercial mixed uses.
    Parcel: 05A01013
    Applicant: Bartlette Engineering and Surveying, PC
    Project Planner: Ben Paynter, Planner, 919-359-9350
    Status: Site Plan in staff review. Town Council decsion date TBD.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/3...!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d35.6312349!4d-78.4356034

4. jesse82nc

5. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I do not know if anyone posted it before, but what are they doing over on Barber Mill Road just past the dump and just before the bridge? TIA

6. cranky

cranky Well-Known Member

My understanding is that the work on Barber Mill is for a bridge replacement.

7. Rockyv58

If it's bridge replacement I hope they make it wider as well for growth and maybe a blinking light at the fork in the road

jesse82nc likes this.
  8. jesse82nc

Blue Line Aviation Proposes Additional $20 Million Investment at JNX Airport
    Blue Line Aviation is experiencing unprecedented growth and has proposed an additional expansion of their facilities at JNX Airport to meet student demand.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...AmAgB9fzsqdqXHFrMiDJGElduBFnPzCrwFAquIYtIS5L4

Monday night, September 20, 2021, Blue Line Aviation CEO Trey Walters and President Rich Laviano presented a proposal to the JNX Airport Authority to begin work on additional offices, maintenance facilities, student dormitory facilities, and vehicle parking valued at over $20M. Airlines are offering hiring and retention bonuses higher than ever before, and Blue Line seeks to change lives by providing the necessary training. These additional facilities are essential to support Blue Line's flight training and maintenance operations – training students from around the country to fill the hundreds of thousands of open pilot jobs.

BuzzMyMonkey likes this.
  9. jesse82nc

Lumen is finally starting to get off the ground, rezoning approved.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangl...ton-lumen-development-mixed-use-rezoning.html

Clayton paves way for Cary developer's massive 'gateway' mixed-use project

A proposed mixed-use development in Clayton that will include hundreds of homes and ample office space took a major step forward Monday.

The 69-acre project, referred to as the Lumen Planned Development District in documents submitted to the town, will be located at the intersection of the U.S. Highway 70 Bypass and N.C. Highway 42. Developers aim to make Lumen a "gateway" for the western part of Clayton.

Here's what included in plans for Lumen – which would be built out over multiple phases – according to application materials submitted to Clayton:
    • over 700,000 square feet of office space
    • 90,000 square feet of commercial/retail use
    • up to 480 apartments/condominiums
    • up to 140 single family/townhome lots
    • 120 hotel rooms

10. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

I talked to manager on duty at Food Lion 40/42 last night. New Food Lion (50/42) will open on Nov 17. Existing Food Lion (40/42) will remain open. Its not closing and becoming a Carlie C's

11. jesse82nc

There's a lot of rumors that a Publix is coming to the Southeast or Northeast corner of that same intersection. I find that a bit crazy considering how low the population density is in that area and how low the average income is as well to support 3 grocery stores there, including a Publix.

What I don't understand is why there is no grocery store between Walmart at 40/42 and Lowes Foods or Food Lion, both on US70 in Clayton.

lawnboy and Rockyv58 like this.
  12. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

You’re not going to recognize this place in 10 years. Right now, and in the near future, they’ll be grabbing up land to develop left and right, especially after 540 is completed, and new areas are opened up for commercial and residential development. It appears that the grocery stores are getting in first, and even though they’re building in areas that may seem less densely populated right now, they know all about the projected population growth patterns for the area, which is one of the highest in the country. Having lived through similar explosive growth in another state, before moving back to NC, most of the rural population there was eventually displaced by higher income households. The lower income households will make out just fine, as modest, older ranch homes in this area will start selling for 400k or more. All this, is just around the corner for us, like it or not. And when that happens, you’ll woe the disappearance of long stretches of road with nothing but trees and blue sky. At least I will.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
  13. jesse82nc

Our next door neighbor just had their house appraised at $750k for a fast sell. It was in the $200's 12 years ago.

Clayton currently has 5900 homes permitted and approved to build that have not started construction yet.

14. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

Not surprised. Some people say this is a “housing bubble”, but I thoroughly disagree. And even though inventory is low, the pandemic has little to do with it. What business reports are failing to tell people, is that investors and hedge funds are snatching up properties to increase their real estate portfolios, forcing average Americans to compete head-on with these “cash-on-the-barrel” investors. Unregulated foreign investment is also an issue. (Why there ought to be a law!) I think that most people are staying put because any move they make is likely to result in a lateral situation. In other words, they may end up paying more for properties with less square footage then the one they currently own, unless they are willing to pay substantially more. I’m also surprised that areas away from the city core, are increasing astronomically. In fact, I was looking at houses this morning on Zillow in Nash county, and they’re as much as Clayton homes, except they come with a killer commute, if a person works in the city. I feel most sorry for young millennials trying to compete in this investor-fueled, real estate market. Unless they get an inheritance, they’re likely spend their lives renting apartments owned by hedge funds. Expect to see many more apartments built in Clayton in the coming years to reflect that reality.

15. jesse82nc

Well outside our area, but huge.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2021/11/02/apex-development-veridea-master-plan-filed.html

After years of inactivity and legal wrangling, plans for a huge development in Apex appear to be back on the table.

Last month, Florida-based developer Reader Communities filed a master plan with the town for Veridea, calling for a major mixed-use destination on a 1,000-plus acre site long slated for mixed-use development.

The project spans 1,067 acres on a sprawling site by U.S. 1 and N.C. 55. It has been in the works since property owner Hudson Realty Capital began assembling land 14 years ago before running into trouble with a town ordinance.

Plans filed with the town and posted online don’t specify the exact amount of commercial space or residential units planned for the project, but a Sept. 25 email from Reader Communities Senior Vice President Scott Lay to town officials says the company plans to have 4,500-plus residential units and up to 4 million square feet of non-residential space.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/35°42'01.2"N+78°50'43.6"W/@35.7031709,-78.8422173,5259m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m6!3m5!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d35.7003237!4d-78.8454304

2021-11-02_13-20-16.jpg

16. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member

Just making sure I understand that last sentence... Carlie C's on Glen Rd isn't happening now? Food Lion is going to remain on Glen Rd in addition to the new store at 42/50?

17. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member

I think that rumor came about from a Nextdoor post, and a game of Telephone. The new Food Lion was being built, and somehow someone heard it was going to be a Publix, and then by the time it was relayed to someone else they heard a Publix was being built in addition to the Food Lion, and the game of Telephone went on and on... Unless one of the regulars on this thread can substantiate it, I don't believe the Publix talk for one minute.

jesse82nc likes this.
  18. markfnc

Correct that is what the manager told me. The existing Food Lion is not closing

19. markfnc

I agree that is what happened with that. Someone thought the new Food Lion was going to be a Publix.

20. Rockyv58

But my question is, Is the Food lion still going to be built in the shopping center at the corner of Corwallis and hwy42 by where the tractor supply is?