New Development Activity in the area

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by jesse82nc, Aug 14, 2020.

1. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

I work in RTP but its 4.6 miles from proposed RTP stop (Miami Blvd and I 40) to our office. I guess with RTP so spread out, there would be some bus system making the rounds from the train sta to the various offices.

2. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

I would imagine that this would probably add significant time though to a commute. Driving to the train station is probably at least slightly out of the way, waiting a few minutes for the train, then it has to make several stops on the way to your stop, then when you get off you have to wait for a bus, then it makes several stops on the way to your stop, then you have to walk at least some distance to your office. Not to be a downer, but that sounds like it could take a 45 minute commute into well over an hour easily. And probably cost more than it does in gas today. Not sure I see the benefit.

markfnc likes this.
  3. jesse82nc

Not to mention, the fact that the total projected budget today, in 2022/2023 dollars is $3.9 Billion on the high side, with a projected timeline of 10 years. That could easily balloon to over $5B with inflation and cost overruns. I don't see how this could ever even remotely make any money back. Assuming it comes online in 2035, and that's a big assumption, with an average ridership of 4000 per day by 2040 (from their study). That's 2.92M trips a year (assuming that ridership continues 7 days a week and everyone takes roundtrips). To break even from $5B in 40 years, that would need to cost a minimim of about $45 each way, and that doesn't account for any operating costs still. ($5B / (2.92M trips per year x 40 years)) That's all assuming it doesn't go over budget more than that and that they actually get the number of people they expect to ride it.

That's a lot of tax dollars for a project that will benefit very few people. By comparison, the widening of I-40 which includes the new interchanges at NC40 and Cleveland Road, only had a budget of $360M. For $5B you could add several lanes to I-40 all the way to RTP easily.

markfnc likes this.
  4. markfnc

Thats exactly why the last light rail was rejected by the Feds even though they generally approve anything with mass transit.

5. jesse82nc

Approved by town council last night. Of note, they also increased the commercial from 5100 to 10,000-15,000 sq ft.

6. markfnc

I saw on a bid site a Popeyes bidding out there. didn't make sense, but with this it does.

7. jesse82nc

The commercial on the site consists of a flex space building with 5 x 1000 sq ft units along with additional commerical on the ground floor of the 4 story apartment building(s). I don't think a Popeyes would go on this site, but maybe nearby?

8. markfnc

yes, just that general area. it has bid already, so not on the site now, so i can't pull up address.

9. jesse82nc

I know there was talks of a resturant going on the NW corner of 42E and 70B across from Sheetz. Could be that location. There's a few parcels in that area zoned highway business.

10. markfnc

I can't find anything on it, seems like it was further down near where 70 biz meets 70 bypass.

11. markfnc

Found address. down further than i thought.

Popeyes / Clayton
    11756 US-70, Clayton, NC 27520

Site work and new construction of a restaurant in Clayton, North Carolina. Completed plans call for the construction of a 2,360-square-foot, one-story above grade restaurant; and for site work for a restaurant. *The owner requests that all subcontractor / supplier inquiries be directed to the GC Bidder. *The bid list for this project may be incomplete. If you have been invited to bid on this project by the owner, please notify our editorial staff at contentcase@constructconnect.com. *This project is being bid by invitation only. If you have been contacted by the owner to bid on this project as a general contractor, and would like to be listed below, please notify our editorial staff at contentcase@constructconnect.com.

jesse82nc likes this.
  12. jesse82nc

I bet that is a typo and it is really Business 70. Which would be next to Biscutville.
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/1...4a1c7381595786!8m2!3d35.6558091!4d-78.4761832

13. markfnc

14. jesse82nc

2023-01-23_13-13-13.jpg

markfnc likes this.
  15. markfnc

Saw a post that they are opening March 29. Garner NC: A great place to be FB site.

jesse82nc likes this.
  16. jesse82nc

markfnc likes this.
  17. markfnc

A few pics from developers linked in site.

Attached Files:

Rockyv58 likes this.
  18. jesse82nc

New "estate" lots are coming to Johnston County as the area continues to swell with new residents and developments.

DRB Homes, formerly known as Dan Ryan Builders, purchased 59.11 acres in Johnston County for $1.7 million, according to a deed filed Feb. 10. The land sits along Powhatan Road between Clayton and Wilson's Mills.

On the land, DRB Homes is planning a new community called The Laurel, which will feature 46 new lots, said Jay Colvin, director of land acquisition for the company.

"Families living in, or moving to, the Clayton area looking for a large home site – without sacrificing convenient access to services – are going to be attracted to this community," Colvin said.

He said the community has proximity to major employment centers in Johnston County, as it's about a mile away from Grifols (Nasdaq: GRFS) and Novo Nordisk (NYSE: NVO) and two miles from facilities for Caterpillar (NYSE: CAT) and Bayer.

The Laurel will feature large lots – each greater than 40,000 square feet with many over an acre in size (there are 43,560 square feet in an acre).

Colvin said the price range for the homes will be in the $300,000s to the $500,000s and houses with three, four and five bedrooms will be built. The size of the homes will range from 1,700 to over 3,500 square feet.

DRB Homes – based in Rockville, Maryland – is one of the largest builders in the Triangle and active in halo counties especially. It's planning communities in Harnett and Franklin counties. The company ranks as the No. 4 largest builder in the Triangle, according to Triangle Business Journal research. It completed nearly 1,000 homes last year in the region with an average price tag of $354,000 per home.

upload_2023-2-14_17-23-45.png

https://www.google.com/maps/place/3...!1e3!4b1!4m4!3m3!8m2!3d35.614348!4d-78.393091

19. jesse82nc

They have broken ground on this and are actively working around Sheetz on 70 Business.

20. jesse82nc

https://wraltechwire.com/2023/02/14...o-build-20m-business-park-in-johnston-county/
    https://jocoreport.com/42-west-busi...ld-add-more-than-100-jobs-to-johnston-county/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A Charlotte-based commercial real estate developer will construct a 125,000 square foot business park near the intersection of Interstate 40 and Future Interstate 42 in Clayton.

The company, Johnston Flex LLC, intends to invest $20 million in the project, set to be marketed as Class A flex space.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/3...!3m1!1e3!4m4!3m3!8m2!3d35.617572!4d-78.525651

markfnc likes this.