New Development Activity in the area

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by jesse82nc, Aug 14, 2020.

1. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

I noticed the Publix signs at 42/50 were gone. further south on 50 was a new real estate sign. I looked them up and saw this.
    Listings - Atlantic Retail

it shows a Chase bank, Starbucks, out near 50 with space available
    up near Publix it shows a Wing stop, Wake med (urgent care?), Pet supermarket and Jersey Mikes. With 1 space available.
    Some of those named spaces say proposed, some don't. Seems strange to list a specific name if only proposed and not real, unless this developer have a relationship with those tenants.
    But if those spaces were available i'd think it would say available. Anyway, a better idea of other options at the new Publix.
    [​IMG]

bulldawg and Smithers like this.
  2. markfnc

I saw on Garner Biz Facebook that Bojangles has filed for a building permit for this spot.

3. markfnc

anyone know what happened with the Duke Hospital at Timber/50? the site was graded, some parking stone put in then it stopped. the blue screening fence is a mess and no one has been working there in over a year (?)

bulldawg and Smithers like this.
  4. markfnc

5. markfnc

from TBJ, cut and pasted
    A Baltimore real estate group with a growing Triangle footprint has completed its first industrial development in Johnston County — adding hundreds of thousands of square feet for potential tenants.

Merritt Properties, which has developed several business parks in Wake and Durham counties since entering the market in 2020, has finished construction on 42 Crossing, a three-building light industrial development that totals 213,800 square feet near Interstate 40/Highway42 in Garner.

The company said it has secured several leases for the development and has 168,455 square feet available for other businesses. The project is on 22 acres and features buildings with 18-foot to 24-foot clear heights, rear-loaded docks and drive-in capabilities. A company spokesperson said Merritt Properties spent $45 million to develop and build 42 Crossing.

GET TO KNOW YOUR CITY

Find Local Events Near You

Connect with a community of local professionals.

Explore All Events

“Delivering 42 Crossing marks an exciting expansion of our light industrial portfolio in the Triangle area as we continue to create homes for businesses,” said Keith Wallace, Merritt Properties regional director in North Carolina. “This development not only addresses the increasing demand for industrial space in the region, but also provides smaller companies with the opportunity to establish themselves in our flexible incubator spaces.”

The largest leases are quartz slab manufacturer Quartz America (12,629 square feet) and indoor pickleball company Pickles and Play (18,350 square feet) — which also recently opened a facility in Wake Forest. The development also offers "incubator warehouses," meant for companies seeking 1,800 to 3,600 square feet of small-bay industrial space. Those facilities include two offices, a bathroom and a climate-controlled warehouse.

Chris Johnson, Johnston County's economic development director, said in a statement that the project is a "game-changer for economic growth and business development in our region."

“This light industrial development will support local businesses and attract new ventures, serving as a catalyst for job creation and a strategic space for businesses to expand and innovate,” he said.

[​IMG]
    Pickles and Play in Wake Forest.
    Pickles and Play
    While Johnston County is attracting myriad industrial investments and pressing forward with constructing new industrial spaces, vacancy rates for industrial real estate across the Triangle region are on the rise. Per Triangle Business Journal's SPACE quarterly publication for Q2, across Wake, Durham, Orange, Johnston, Franklin and Granville counties, warehouse vacancy stood at 7.8 percent in first quarter.

6. Shawn S

Shawn S Member

I heard a rumor that Harris Teeter purchased land at the corner of Timber Drive & White Oak in Garner across from BJ’s for a future store.
    Any confirmation on this from the people “in the know”?

7. markfnc

a grocery store is needed there.

tassy and jesse82nc like this.
  8. markfnc

Same real estate developer that is doing the Publix at 50/42.
    Listings - Atlantic Retail

But they don't show any tenants yet, like they do on the ad for Publix shopping center. I know an aspen dental bid a while back for 1 of the spaces. i keep hearing a chipotle but hadn't seen anything on my bid sites. I'd like DQ to come back.
    [​IMG]

jesse82nc and Smithers like this.
  9. markfnc

10. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member

They've already started land levelling for the Wawa. I stopped by and looked at the papers in the Inspectors Box (whatever you call that thing). The County knew since at least May that it was going to be a Wawa. But there's nothing on the County's website mentioning Wawa. If you can look up your neighbor's taxes and voting record, why can't you look up what businesses are requesting from the County?

jesse82nc and markfnc like this.
  11. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

In some locales, you can look up information on what permits have been pulled for a particular address.
    https://www.johnstonnc.com/insp/content.cfm?pageid=91

But the address search doesn't always work.

markfnc and Smithers like this.
  12. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member

Interesting. Some of the permits I found for Wawa just list the land owner (at the time) or the requestor. Nothing on the website said "Wawa". Though, the paperwork I found in the Inspector's Box specifically said "Wawa #6129" and was dated back in May. Just learning how to use the resources we have available...

13. markfnc

14. markfnc