New JoCo and Area Restaurants

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by DWK, May 20, 2021.

1. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

I answered the question concerning why "my friend" appeared in the term custardd when it was posted. Perhaps you should read more closely or try to grasp what you read better.

DWK likes this.
  2. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

So the word was blatantly spelled out to sidestep the censor put in. Got it. Now it’s ok to do it.
    I was expecting DWK to re post the new rules hi lighting the infraction like she uses on others.
    Just saying. Carry on.

3. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

No, please try to read it again as slowly as you need to grasp the meanings of the words. The word CUSTAR D fell into the pit of TAR D related terms which are automatically replaced by "My friend" There was no reason for the censor to apply to the word because it is not of the derogatory nature used my your cohort, who by the way has been sidestepping the censor since it was applied, but the application of the rules only apply to some folks here based on action/inaction history.

Hught and DWK like this.
  4. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

I just hate to throw a bucket of cold water on you, but an explicit clarification WAS needed, especially for new readers of this thread who may be unfamiliar as to WHY that word was automatically changed by the web administrator in my post. Without that information, readers may not understand the sentence as it appears in its altered and censored form. At any rate, y’all should really try those little Portuguese tarts, they’re so DELICIOUS!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
    Hught likes this.
  5. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

Whatever makes y’all feel good! Have at it.

6. lawnboy

lawnboy Well-Known Member

Good find!

DWK likes this.
  7. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

They’ve been here for a bit, but if you’re craving West Coast style, real Mexican food, which is sometimes hard to find, head on over to Tacos y Burritos California. Located on Highway 70 in Clayton in a strip mall, that you might just pass on by without even noticing, don’t be fooled by the non-descript exterior. Offering a huge menu, with traditional Mexican dishes too numerous to list here, aside from the usual tacos and burritos - this place has menudo!, chile relleno, fried plantains, horchata, and a cold case stocked with Mexican beverages and Mexican Coca-Cola (one of my personal favorites because it’s made with REAL sugar, and not corn syrup like our American Coke! Seriously, what’s up with THAT, Coca-Cola?!), so you know they’re serious about serving authentic Mexican food. We tried the “Shrimp Tacos”, “Carne Asada Burritos” with some fried plantains on the side, and everything was fresh and very tasty.

Since the menu is so extensive, and includes daily specials, at all price ranges, it’s a place that’s worth repeated visits, just to get through everything on their menu. Service was friendly and helpful, especially for non-Spanish speaking diners who may need some translations and recommendations. There’s also a clean and comfortable, but not too fancy, indoor dining area with flat-screen TVs, and the counter looks like it’s doing a booming business in take-out orders. There doesn’t appear to be a waitstaff here, so if you’re dining in, you just order your food from the counter. I’ve read that this place is becoming quite the favorite of transplanted Californians who are homesick for real Mexican food, instead of the chain Mexican restaurants to be found locally. If you’re looking for an excellent “Mom and Pop”, no frills, authentic Mexican, California-style restaurant, this would be the place to go! Can’t wait to go back for more!

Tacos y Burritos California
    11538 Hwy 70
    Clayton, NC

Hours: 9am - 9 pm (days are unspecified on their Facebook page)

DF8C5710-DC0E-4FE6-8B17-D41E8FA3E23B.jpeg
    F2970F22-BE31-48C1-A132-5BD40CB52045.jpeg 74275936-ECEF-4C9B-BB09-34E0085AAC6E.jpeg DA285CFB-448A-4CDE-B655-32E7337F0264.jpeg 48137734-43D4-4F53-B2BF-0C069B5A0E06.jpeg 952D0BA1-DA25-421C-848D-B84D72DB7017.jpeg B3EB333C-4E17-4EB2-B47C-DD44C3E6623D.jpeg BC349986-5BC9-4F01-AFF5-29B4C4DB3CCD.jpeg View attachment 16245 BD017F56-21E4-4DCA-9DC1-4FBECB09A645.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
    lawnboy and Wayne Stollings like this.
  8. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I'm still waiting for a place that will make spaghetti tacos :)

9. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

Alpaca Peruvian Charcoal Chicken is in Wake County in Garner, but as it’s in the recently expanded White Oak Shopping Center, it’s close enough to JoCo to qualify as local. We went there today for lunch, and had their Pollo Saltado plate, which was some seriously TASTY, grilled, spiced chicken, on a bed of French fries, with seasoned rice and sliced Roma tomatoes on the side. Now, I’ve never had anything served on a bed of fries before, and it may seem a bit counterintuitive, but they say that there’s always a “first time for everything”, and after that first bite of Pollo Saltado, I can say that without a doubt, that we will DEFINITELY be back for more, regardless of where they put those French fries! So delicious, and a welcome change from the usual “fried chicken” places. Another tasty dish is their Arroz Chaufa, a Peruvian, fried rice dish prepared with chicken and sausage and shredded veggies, and similar to Chinese fried rice, but with spicy, Latin flavors instead. All I can say is….Phenomenal! Also to consider are their “fried, sweet plantains”, and “green plantains” prepared in a sort of fried patty called “tostones”. They also serve “Yuca fries”, (unrelated to “yucca”, which is entirely different) which comes from the tuberous roots of cassava plants that are similar in taste to French fried potatoes.

The chicken at Alpaca, is spit roasted and grilled fresh on the premises, perfectly seasoned and tender, and is hormone-free and sourced in North Carolina. In addition to the combination plates, you can even order “whole chickens”, “half chickens”, and “quarter chickens” along with “regular” and “premium” side dishes of your choice. Especially appreciated is the fact that the food is not prepared with too much salt, like so many restaurants these days, but relies more on various spices and seasonings for flavorings. Overall, the restaurant interior is modern and efficient, and somewhat reminiscent of a Chipotle’s, but more lively and colorful: Diners order from an overhead menu, work their way through the counter and stations, then order drinks and pay the cashier at the end of the counter. Prices and portions are reasonable, and there are “daily specials” available for $9.99. There is also a heated, enclosed dining area, and an open, outdoor seating area as well. So, if you’re looking to try a restaurant that’s a little different, Alpaca Peruvian Charcoal Chicken is the place. Enjoy!

D8B2C36C-A52C-4389-974A-19E92403C011.jpeg 96242E69-21F5-47A4-84E4-5450DF53E5B9.jpeg 5D1D14DC-16B8-4F2F-8283-4096EBA2FBD1.jpeg 9FAABAC7-B893-4704-8E32-4BAD990A8421.jpeg 79BC5943-E3EA-429B-B114-B52C3EF0E112.jpeg 90B0D62F-5FE8-44B8-926C-55C3014B4FD9.jpeg 4F3C596A-318C-483E-A17D-D5A4DBC09F97.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
  10. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

11. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

Saturday July 3, Update on Crawford’s Cookshop in downtown Clayton:

It seems as though the exterior remodeling work has slowed down a bit at Crawford’s Cookshop. A new cement block retaining wall, or more likely an access ramp, is being built from the back door, but that’s about all of the obvious construction progress that’s been made lately. I suppose that we’ll just need to be patient. (Sigh.) Cutting in those large windows was a good idea though, and will, without a doubt, make a sunny and pleasant interior dining space once it’s finished.

8E14ED44-9966-49E5-917C-5D0FB003CE23.jpeg A0BB621A-BB92-4892-AA4F-AEBFC94708C0.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
  12. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

This is just a note concerning the “biker brawl and rival motorcycle gang shooting” that happened at the Cleveland Drafthouse in Clayton on 70, that was recently reported on the local news. The restaurant owners had stated on the news that “motorcycle gangs do not hang out there”, but unfortunately, our experience has been very different at the Hwy 70 Cleveland Draft House, which is why we no longer patronize the place. It is fairly obvious to any diner, that that particular restaurant has at times, become a sort of “hangout”, and so, we’ve never felt comfortable dining there for that specific reason. It’s nothing new, and has been going on for years there. On the other hand, we have never had any issues whatsoever at the Cleveland Draft House on 42, and so, I am hoping that the owners will rectify this problem, so that their business does not become adversely affected by this incident.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
  13. lawnboy

lawnboy Well-Known Member

DWK, in regards to Cleveland Draft House of Clayton's motorcycle gang issue, Clyde and Philo agree, it's time for them to call Ma and put this silliness to an end.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. rrgreennc

rrgreennc Well-Known Member

My wife and I had dinner at Mezcalito in Clayton Saturday night. It's located off Hwy 42 East a little east of the Caterpillar facility at 229 Briarcliff Dr. There is a lot of construction in the area. Their website is https://mezcalitogrill.com/clayton/
    We went looking for a good chile relleno based on the recommendation of someone in a facebook group. Unfortunately the only relleno they have is stuffed with justcheese. We were look for something with meat options (like Chuy's used to offer before they downsize the menu during the pandemic) but it was clear that this was not it. They did also have a plantain relleno, but that didn't sound appealing.
    Luckily there is a large menu and there were a lot of things that looked good to us. We ended up ordering the Grand Burrito, which is big enough for 2 hungry adults plus some. It has a little bit of everything in it topped with red sauce, green sauce, and crema. We enjoyed it a lot. We also tried the appetizer trio of guacamole, cheese dip, and bean dip. The guacamole was very good, although the others were just ok. The complimentary salsa is also very good, hearty with just the right amount of heat.
    Unfortunately for us, the atmosphere of the place is VERY LOUD. The bar seems to be the focal point of the restaurant and they were busy serving a lot of very large drinks. The room itself would be loud just based on the design, but the party atmosphere really brought it up to a whole other level. For us, this was a negative, although I'm quite certain a lot of people really like it. We don't get to go out very often and prefer a quieter atmosphere (which is really hard to come by these day).
    We did have a bit of a wait (about 45 minutes at 5pm on Saturday) but that isn't unexpected for Saturday dinner, and this seems to be a pretty new place.
    Overall, we were impressed with the food, service was great once we were seated, prices were a little higher than the typical Mexican places around here (but portions are also pretty big), although in line with Chuy's. The loud atmosphere was the only turnoff for us, so maybe we will try during lunch some time to see if it is better.

DWK likes this.
  15. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

Seeing how we’ve talked about “cake” lately, there’s a new pie place called “Slice” that’s opening on South Saunders Street in Raleigh. It’s just down the block from that “Cause For Paws” thrift store, which rescues animals in need, and puts them up for adoption. They are currently working on the interior of “Slice”, and are supposed to have some pretty good pie there. They advertise their pie business as “North Carolina Made and Family Owned”, which is always so good to see.
    149F1823-C611-4D3E-A31E-8814B916B5AE.jpeg 32066A20-27DB-4C6D-9238-855EEDAB4D5A.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
  16. bhawley

bhawley Member

In front of Walmart Clayton. Anyone?
    upload_2021-8-9_22-29-2.png

17. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

Never been there, and they aren’t online, so I’m not sure if they’re opening or have closed, or never even got off the ground. Anybody else know anything about Carolina Bleu Grill?

18. bhawley

bhawley Member

Old Lone Star location. Sign just appeared.

19. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads-up! That’ll be something to watch.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
  20. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member

Whatever happened to the donut shop next to Jersey Mike's at 42 and Bratton Dr?