New JoCo and Area Restaurants

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by DWK, May 20, 2021.

1. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

Have heard that owners have other successful restaurants, nothing else.

2. cranky

cranky Well-Known Member

I never got to try them out, it's an awful plaza to get in and out of so I rarely go in there. Definitely not a place I'm going to hit on the way to work every day.

3. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

So they closed? Never got to try them

4. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

We went there once, and their donuts were pretty good. I sure wish we’d get a Duck Donuts around here, who has some interesting flavors that you can’t find anywhere else. I believe that Duck Donuts opened their first store at the beach, and now they’ve got a store in Cary, but JoCo would be much improved by their presence here.
    84901D47-312C-4526-AAF2-ABC1A08D4F0C.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
  5. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member

The donut shop never opened in the first place! They put the sign up, I started to see some activity inside, then they put the paper up on the windows. And...nothing after that. The sign is backlit, so someone's at least paying an electric bill there. I, um... go to Cookout more than I should, so I see the donut shop regularly. :rolleyes:

ETA: Wait, DWK, you said you ate there once? Was it open for only a day? I never saw it open.

BuzzMyMonkey likes this.
  6. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Kind of a bad location. I never really knew it was there unless i was going to just tires to get an oil change. Would of probably been better off by sallys beauty supplies or in the wal mart plaza next to where the dominos went. Traffic on 40/42 area is just getting so bad. I try to avoid that whole area

lawnboy likes this.
  7. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

Smithers, we went there on the very first day that they opened. We wanted coffee to go with the baked goods that we got, but we were told that day that they “didn’t serve coffee”. We found that to be a little unusual, so we never went back.

8. Smithers

Wow, they weren't open very long at all, then. I go to the Cookout at least once a week and never saw the donut shop open, so I assumed they never opened to begin with. Very odd they lasted such a short time.

9. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

Several websites I could find said they have not opened yet but still plan to. I can't find a contact or phone number.

10. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

It might be that we’re talking about two different places. The one we went to in that vicinity was a mom and pop bakery that had all kinds of baked goods, and not just donuts. That was several years ago, not recently, and we usually skip that whole area now because of traffic. I’ll have to drive over there and double check if you’re talking about a new place that I haven’t seen before. Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
  11. Smithers

Bratton Dr, next to the Cookout. The space that's between the laundromat and the smoke shop, two doors down from Jersey Mike's.
    upload_2021-8-13_15-32-5.png

12. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

Thanks for the picture. Looks like you went to CookOut again! My husband and I only remember the interior of the bakery, and the general location in that plaza. We remember that the bakery cases were close to the entryway, leaving little space to maneuver once you got through the door, and neither of us recall that they had any tables in there to sit at. It appeared to be a “take-out” bakery, if there is such a thing. And with a lack of coffee on the day that we were there, and no tables, I wouldn’t be surprised if that bakery we went to that one time, went out of business, and this donut shop you’re talking about is a new business altogether. With so many places coming and going, it’s hard to keep track, but I’ll try to find out what’s going on, or if someone out there knows anything, they can post it here.

13. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

I wonder if you are speaking of the bakery that was in the little strip of stores behind the Smithfield's Chicken and BBQ?

14. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

Well, I’m not sure. Any business that says the dreaded words “no coffee served” to me, and I just immediately scratch them off from my list of places to visit. Who wants to enjoy a nice baked good without coffee? How many bakeries have been over there, and on the other side near Jersey Mike’s, over the years anyway? I think that bakery was close to where Jersey Mike’s is, and not in the other direction, and my husband insists that he remembers that it was near Jersey Mike’s, but who knows.

15. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

Obviously, only you.

16. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

Good Lord. Now you’re taking our memories of a bakery that most likely went out of business years ago personally? And just as we were having such a rare, pleasant exchange.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
  17. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

Not everybody is dependent on their cup of coffee such as you,, relax.

18. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

This is a restaurant and food thread. Unless you can manage to stay on topic, or have something pertinent to add to the conversation about bakeries or donuts, or something else food-related, you can take your bland, tasteless trolling elsewhere.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
    Wayne Stollings likes this.
  19. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

Oh, dang ,, here I thought you were talking about coffee and I responded as such, not sure how you think that was taking it off topic. I apologize if I offended you with my coffee comment. At least ACW liked your post.

20. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

The “topic” was actually about a little bakery in that area, and the lack of coffee was just a side mention, Donuthole.

Rockyv58 likes this.