new laptop

Discussion in 'PC Help Desk' started by ginger1989, Dec 25, 2012.

1. ginger1989

ginger1989 Well-Known Member

So I get a new laptop for Christmas. What is the best way to get stuff from old to new? I don't want to pay Geek Squad a fortune, but I have this computer just the way I want. I don't think I could remember all the saved passwords LOL

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  2. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

1. You can't copy software over to the new that was loaded on the old one if you're thinking in that way.

2. Start the old one and create a "save" directory in explorer. Start reviewing all the directories for stuff you've saved all the time you've owned it. Pics, documents, movies, etc. The quickest way to locate the common files someone would save is to do an Explorer search for the file extensions.

Example for pictures with a JPG extension: type *.*.jpg in the search window.

Word doc's are DOC, regular text docs are TXT. movies are MPG MOV .... and so on and so on.

It's a great time to review all those files for their real necessity so you don't drag trash you don't really need to the new.

3. Once you have everything in that "save" directory do a virus scan just on that directory. You don't want to drag those into the new PC accidentally.

4. Now see how big (bytes) that "save" file is. That will determine the media you use to copy. If it's real big, you may want to pull the hard drive from the old and use an external HD case to do a direct transfer in lieu of using 10 DVD's.

Or ,,,,, after you compile the file find a local geek to get it transferred. Finding the crap is the real work, and a simple transfer will be cheap.

3. ginger1989

ginger1989 Well-Known Member

thank you!

4. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

Any day I save someone from the geek squad is a good day! You're welcome!

5. YoGnomo

YoGnomo Member

Transfer the profile first and you will get 80% or more of the files you want. To find the profile, open a run window (start>run or windows key+r), and type in %userprofile%. An explorer window will open and you can copy the folders to a USB drive or across the network. Do the same on the new laptop and paste over the folders currently there. Default paths for accounts in XP is C:\Documents and Settings\username and on Windows Vista, 7, and 8 it is C:\Users\username.

Saved passwords depends on the browser. For Firefox use MozBackup, for Chrome use the sync feature, and for IE...I honestly don't know...I don't save passwords in IE.

6. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

Good tip. I didn't understand the passwords comment she made. Your post made me realize what she meant.

7. YoGnomo

YoGnomo Member

If you are using Windows 7 or 8 (not sure about other versions) there is a wizard called Easy Transfer that looks promising. I've never used it personally, but it's supposed to also transfer IE passwords.

8. 740i Guy

740i Guy Well-Known Member

Right on Dan.

While I realize twenty somethings need a job, using Geek Squad or similar in cases such as Ginger requests is almost a travesty in wasting money when there are most likely friends and family with those abilities nowadays.

Not to mention the exposure of sensitive data, photos, general information a total stranger is allowed to see if it's not necessary.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013