New procedure for using your debit card as credit @ gas pump

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by michelle, Feb 1, 2011.

1. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

2. mom23

mom23 Active Member

I used my SECU debit card today as CREDIT and it took the exact amount I got in gas out of my account IMMEDIATELY. I swiped it at the pump.

3. softballmom

softballmom Well-Known Member

I hope that is not in addition to the money for the gas. We always fill up, and our cheapest car takes about $40, while our most expensive $80.

4. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

It's not in addition to your purchase. In the event that the transaction goes through as a charge it's just holding $26.00 until the actual amount posts. If you choose debit it's not an issue. It used to hold $1.00 which worked well for most, but it takes a couple of days for a charge to go through the system it led some people to over draft their accounts. They would think they had more money available than they actually did.
    Think of it like writing a check but forgetting to write it in the register.
    It won't affect most people, but if someone only has $20 in their account, they will be denied if they choose credit. The best answer is to choose debit.

5. rushlow2004

rushlow2004 Well-Known Member

I have always used Credit at the pumps and inside all gas stations. Was always told it was safer to do that. Normally mine comes out the next day after I pump the gas, I will cont. to use credit, cause I don't always fill up and I always make sure I have enough in my acct. for emergency's anyways. This won't affect me for now anyways.