New restaurant in place of Pizza Inn

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by bandmom, Apr 9, 2013.

1. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Its over in the same shopping center at the Food Lion, over by the Nationwide Insurance office and a nail salon.

2. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

Was going to phone in an order but can't find their phone number anywhere.

3. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

552-8899 (Tell em' 4042.com sent ya! 8) )

4. michelle

I found that number but that is the number to the Fuquay location.

5. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

Hmm...odd. That is the number they have on their door at 40/42. We'll check on that!

6. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

Took the kids on Saturday...Service was very friendly, food came out in lightning time. The flavor is different than YJ, and the portions aren't quite as big.

For take out, we would still do YJ, but to dine in? I really liked the new place.

7. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

2nd visit this week. Owner confirmed GF options, except for soy sauce, which will come next week. Advised him that La Choy is GF soy. We actually brought our GF soy with us, and they were happy to use it.

Portions are huge! Service excellent. Food wonderful.

8. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

I was out that way today and stopped there with my daughter to check it out. It's not bad at all, plus they have a good $5.00 daily lunch special and plenty of employees who speak English.

I still like the food at New Japan Express (White Oak) better, but for me, this was better than Yummy Japan.

My Rankings:

Food -
    1) New Japan Express
    2) Hibachi whatever this place is called
    3) Yummy Japan

Eat In Atmosphere -
    1) Hibachi whatever this place is called
    2) New Japan Express
    3) Yummy Japan

Friendliness and service - This place number 1 - hands down, no competition, no need to rank the other two.

9. Jean S

Jean S Well-Known Member

Hubby & I went tonight for the first time and it was delicious!! We will definitely be going back. Just under 20 bucks and we both got Teriyaki shrimp dinners with salad and tea. Welcome to 40/42 Hibachi & Co!!!

10. michelle

We gave it a try tonight and loved it. Much better than YJ in my opinion.

11. mnredsky

mnredsky Well-Known Member

OK, had to try the place after reading all these.

Well .... :oops:

I won't go back. The carrots were mushy which I've never seen in Japanese food. Usually they are done, but crisp and mushy carrots make me gag. LOL

The shrimp didn't taste like it was cleaned very well and the chicken was dry.

The white sauce left out on the tables unrefrigerated for long periods of time leaves me a bit queasy.

The ginger sauce for the salad tasted horrible.

On the plus side, everyone was super nice and the zucchini and mushrooms were yummy. LOL

JMO... so don't anyone get their panties in a wad.

Yummy Japan and New Japan Express will continue to get my business

12. michelle

Yummi Japan doesn't refrigerate their white sauce either. It sits on the counter all day.

13. 42Local

42Local Well-Known Member

We went with very high hopes... The restaurant was clean and I really liked how they made great use of the space. The staff was VERY friendly. I liked the ginger salad dressing, mushrooms, and zucchini. My kids liked the shrimp. Like the other poster, I thought the chicken was dry. The carrots were obviously out of a can and not even heated. The rice was sticky and I wish I had some sesame sauce to add to it. While I think it was better than regular fast food, my kids don't want to go back. We've never eaten at Yummy Japan or Japan Express, but we love Hibachi food, so we'll probably try those two places next.

14. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

We went tonight. I thought it was good. I got the chicken and shrimp. My husband got the Hibachi steak and he liked it. Still, I think I like Yummi Japan better. It's cheaper and their rice tastes a lot better to me.

15. bostonredhead

bostonredhead Well-Known Member

I tried it this weekend and won't be back. I tried the hibachi option; the chicken was dry, the rice was gummy, and the zucchini and carrots were soggy. Overall, the food just had no taste. The staff was pleasant although they seemed bored.

16. michelle

We had takeout from there yesterday and it was not as good as it has been every other time :-!

17. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Ok...so the wife went up there for a to go order a few minutes ago. Filet with Soba noodles and a chicken and shrimp with fried rice.

Get home and the filet has rice and chicken and shrimp has rice as well and the rice is anything but fried rice. More like white rice with a few kernels of corn with a splash of soy sauce

Not looking good for this place. and I haven't had my first bite yet.

Wife is on her way back up now to hopefully get my CORRECT order and a new order that would still be hot for her. At least the salad looks decent and not all crappy and brown.

18. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I've tried it twice for lunch, once for hibachi chicken, once for the steak. It's alright, nothing to write home about. I skipped it in favor of Yummi Japan today. On the plus side, I didn't have to wait long for my order.

19. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

Momma always said to say something nice, or don't say nothin' at all.....

Went the second day they were open. The folks were very friendly and the service very fast.

The end.

20. Judge Smails

Judge Smails Well-Known Member

I tried it again for lunch yesterday and it confirmed I thought it was excellent. I went with Hibachi chicken and shrimp and I like that they give you enough for two meals and I, personally, am a fan of the softer stewed carrots. For me, the big difference is the seafood sauce; Hibachi's has a smoother taste while Yummi's, to me, tastes kinda like the water did from fountains in elementary school (a bit metal-ish).
    I know everyone has different tastes, but for me this place will continue to get my support. Hopefully both can stay open and serve the folks who enjoy them.