Nosestud as an religious symbol

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by AnnetteL, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Your daughter can do that now.

2. Cleopatra

Yeah, that was on the WRAL article, as well as the fact that the ACLU was contacted - not that it piqued their interest.

http://www.wral.com/lifestyles/story/8298842/

Yahoo -
    WRAL -
    And yahoo makes no mention that the jewelry does not have to be worn at all times, but WRAL -

3. momof2girls

momof2girls Guest

Well, in daughters sunday school class, they are trying to learn the books of the bible, I wrote like 6 of them down for her to study, and did not know that she had taken it to school the next day (this was last week), and at recess, she took this piece of paper with her and was looking over them, and when her teacher saw what it was, she made her throw it away, saying that they can not have that at school. So don't think that she is allowed to take bible with her.

4. Cleopatra

She threw your daughter's property away? The Gideons pass out bibles at the middle school, and when I asked said they would welcome books of other faith as well - if they were contacted by those religions. As long as a faith or prayer is not being led by school officials they are welcome to do this on their own time - I would think recess would qualify.

5. ECAVE

ECAVE Well-Known Member

This is correct. The teacher was wrong.

6. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Teacher should be reprimanded. That was a poor judgement call. And, in no way should the teacher have gotten involved. The daughter has every right to read her Bible, as long as it wasn't interfering with some structured activity. If the rest of the class was involved, and the daughter was expected to have also been involved, the teacher had standing to require the student to participate. If, OTOH, the recess period was of unspecified activity and the daughter was off on her own, not involving other students, then the teacher overstepped her bounds.

You see, those of us who believe in the 1st Amendment, without restriction, support the daughter's right to her expression. We are against the school or its agents from interfering in her lawful right to do so.

Yet, because the modification thing is outside the mainstream, the young lady's rights are being denied.

One can argue 'til the cows come home as to the validity of religious beliefs. Yet the question remains. Who is to judge? Who decides whether one belief is valid and another invalid. Who ranks the religious practices as being preferred, understood, but disliked, tolerated yet frowned upon, and dismissed?

What's popular may not necessarily be right. And what's right is not necessarily popular. Yet, none other than Jefferson said that rule by the majority is a tyranny of the minority.

Is there anyone on this board that would argue that the strict Pentecostals who believe in speaking of tongues and handling of poisonous serpents is less valid?

7. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Answer me this, why can't she just solve the issue by taking it out during school hours? I don't see that addressed in your sermon. She is CLEARLY attention seeking in my opinion and she and her mother are thumbing their noses at the rules the rest of the kids have to follow. Either change the rules for EVERYONE or she needs to suck it up. Period.

8. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

Because! It makes her FEEEL better!

9. Cleopatra

This should have been taken up when the School Handbook of Conduct was given to them, I'm assuming of course they read it and signed it.

10. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Exactly. But somehow she must be more "special" than all the other kids. <Insert giant eyeroll here>

11. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

Ok... I just realized y'all probably aren't getting my "feeel better" comments. When the story first broke, I think it was on wtvd11(?), in the interview she was asked why she wore it or didn't want to take it out and her response was because wearing it made her feel better. There. lol

12. Cleopatra

So does therapy, for which she can get excused absences with a doctor's note.

13. Mr.X

Mr.X Well-Known Member

I have my own religion, the Church of the Holy Buffett. It requires me to wear shorts, flip-flops & flowered shirts to work.

14. sassymom

sassymom Well-Known Member

Just double checked this but its illegal for anyone under 18 to have a nose piercing without parents signature.. I am leaning toward attention for both mom and daughter... and I agree, that if they allow this other students will follow suit and "join" this church just to have their body modifications at school :ack:

15. Cleopatra

If this goes through, how many kids will join this church so they can thumb their nose at the dress code? That was my HS son's comment.

Mr. X

Yes, Church of the Holy Buffett.

Barefoot Church?

Dress Like a Hooker Church?

I Don't Bathe Church?

16. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

:lol::lol::lol:

Yeah............and drinking on the job would make me feel better too! Can I join the Church of the Holy Grape and claim it as religious freedom? LOL. It ain't gonna happen though!! Sooner or later, we need to stop pandering to folks, it's just that simple.

17. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

i want to see the members of that church.

:jester:

18. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

I'm not a flip-flop flower shirt person, but I am about that laid back lifestyle.

Only time you find me without my hiking boots on is on the golf course....and I have a pair of hiking boots for use on the golf course ready for once it turns cooler.

[​IMG]

19. RealityCheck

RealityCheck Well-Known Member

Best solution......make all students from K-12 wear the prescribed uniforms.....then they can concentrate on their studies and not on the lastest fashions and fads.

20. Mr.X

Mr.X Well-Known Member