Nosestud as an religious symbol

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by AnnetteL, Sep 10, 2010.

1. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

I refer back to my statement. If you don't agree with the rules, petition the school board and ask for a change. You know as well as everyone else that they have to make these rules because of trouble makers, gangs, etc. I totally support the school if it takes tighter rules that are written towards selected issues. Same goes for the baggy pants. By your logic if they ban baggy pants they have to ban all pants. Or if they ban short shorts they have to ban all shorts. Get a grip and look at what this mentality is doing to our society. I feel badly for the generations that will follow you children of the 60's and 70's (my age group) that destroyed everything this country stood for that made us proud. Now, in the name of equality we have a generation that will only know the US as a welfare state. There is no pride in that.

2. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Throwing in the "religious" aspect is the only way they are getting away with it, plain and simple. Once again, some folks are so open minded their brains are falling out.

3. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Like I said if they banned all crucifixes and rosaries along with this girls jewelry (along with Stars of David and any other talismans) I would say they were in the right. If they didn't then they were in the wrong and never should have pushed the issue.

4. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

5. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Or the only ones that seemed to use their brains. I just wish the Clayton School system used theirs.

6. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

We are going to have to agree to disagree. I will never, ever think that what this family did was "right".

7. Suzie Q

Suzie Q Well-Known Member

Then you should also be about keeping distractions out of the classroom.

8. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

I am. And rules that are unequally enforced serve up just as big a distraction. If you think these students don't perceive rules being bent for some and not for others, you are sadly mistaken. The students with whom I work don't require special handling. What they deserve is a consistent message and consistent enforcement of fairness.

Consider the older area high school. Anyone want to bet that the perception of most of the student body there is that if you are in the band or on the football team that the rules are interpreted differently than for a student who doesn't fit the mold?

I'm an old soldier. A wise NCO taught me early on that perception is reality.

9. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

maybe this was already addressed and I missed it but the settlement was not awardedto her, it went for other costs:
    As part of the legal agreement, Johnston schools will pay $15,000 in court costs and fees for the ACLU.

10. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

Did it ever say what her religion was? Hindu, Muslim, Baptist?

11. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

12. ServerSnapper

Sounds like a cop out. If it is not recognized as a religion by the state is it a religion? Or is this separation of church and state? I believe you have to be a non profit religious org to be recognized as an religion.

13. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

SS you are about 6 months late to this thread. :lol: We have beat the "what is a religion" thing to absolute death.

14. ServerSnapper

Sorry I go straight to the end and relax!

15. Shadow Rider

Shadow Rider Well-Known Member

There are some IRS requirements for a church/religion to be granted non-profit status. One of them is a minimum number of members, 12 I think.

Would be interesting to know if they are recognized under IRS guidelines.

16. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

that's what she said.

8)

17. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

:lol:

18. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

19. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

yep. it's allowed. and so is colored streaks in hair. My boys (freshmen at West) said almost every girl has a nose stud or snake bites. :rolleyes:

20. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

Wassa snake bite?